Usergroups
Magic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
TBlazer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm currently lvl 8 and just finished joining the old camp as a shadow. I was considering getting magic; but I mainly wanted it as a backup, I dont plan for my ch to become a mage. Basically for healing and other usefull spells. Are the spells available to me now, or should I hold off for later in the game?
Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 2:28 pm
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah you can use the scrolls and some special spells (later in the game) without beeing a mage!

Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 2:30 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

TBlazer
-------
You have two options, either you play as mage, or you dont.

Personally I have played this game through as both, and in the end my Mage was far more powerful than my warrior.
(My warrior had 210 in strength and 135 in dexterity).

If you try to be good at both that and melee, you will fail, and end up with a character that cannot deal with either sword or magic.

As a warrior - use potions or plants, there are millions and millions of them, and you dont even use Healing as a mage!!! (its useless).

In my opinion, its a greater challenge to reach 'majestic powers' as a mage than it is with a warrior, and its alot more fun to find magical combinations against enemies than just waving a blade. However, it takes awhile to reach the point where a Mage goes over from just being a running hare into a flame throwing warlock.

Circle 1-6 will cost a total of 140 Skillpoints + Mana (about 30-90). Thats 23 Levels in just magic, excluding everything you spent on Strength, Dexterity, Sneaking, Thiefskills, Bow, Crossbow or Melee weapon fighting.

As a Mage, the first real whopping spell is reached at circle #4, Storm of Fire. Once reached Circle #5 there are few things that can stop a mage in gothic. If you spent 100 experience points into reaching circle #5 you might want to know that you are required to have Circle 6 to finish the game as a mage.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 5:03 pm
TBlazer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is there a way to assign a hotkey to potions?
(so you can drink them in battle)?
Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 6:27 pm
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

no ;-(
Post Mon Dec 17, 2001 6:56 pm