crypt L3 & general comments
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
maligni
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

crypt L3 & general comments

I'm sure this topic has come up ad nauseum by now, but everytime I find a message concerning the disk puzzle in the crypt, the info is partial and therefore useless to me. Can anyone provide a complete explanation of this puzzle? It's not that I'm lazy, and I'm not all that dumb either, but this puzzle just seems very arbitrary. Especially if you've been picking up runes during hour-long sessions of play for the last few months, and have no idea where or when you found them. The little placard on the wall isn't cryptic or clever, it's just inadequate. (IMO.)

By the way, not only do I not know the order in which the runes were found, it's also possible that I've spun the disks around some. Do I have to start the game over now??

Overall, I think Arx is a beautiful piece of software, but I hate the way it leaves you scratching your head sometimes. Not feeling challenged, so much as feeling like, "did I just break this game, or what?" I've already had to start over once. On this, my 2nd go, before I realized I could enter the crypt, I muscled my way really far into the game and killed some snake-woman critters, and now I wonder whether I haven't made the game unsolvable as a result. I had previously done exactly the same thing with the Trolls. Not much of a diplomat, I guess. So it's possible I'm doing all this for naught, since I refuse to play this game through a third time. Life is short and Bioware has a ship date coming.

I hope AF2 has the same charm without these little headaches.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:55 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It's not about where you found the runes... the symbols are hewn into the floor of those smaller rooms surrounding the room where you met your first mummy (the room with the altar and the glass windows). The one on the other side of the lava. Draw a map of those rooms with the symbols, then try this sequence (it's also on the corresponding walkthrough map). Go on from there. I don't remember the rest of the sequence, sorry, but from then on it was a piece of cake if I recall that right. The disk puzzle was one of those which caused me the least grief... finding the dragon was my biggest problem.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:10 am
maligni
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks Jaz, that does ring a bell. Kind of embarassing, now that you point this out, but I had walked myself into that room, saved game, and put it on the shelf for a couple of months. Forgot all about those side rooms and then tried to resolve this puzzle in the one room in question.

Now all that remains to be seen is, whether I can advance the plotline any further with regards to the Snakefolk? I wonder how many hours I'll need to invest before I know either way.

Anyhow, thanks!
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:23 am