Add-on / Patch Querry
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Aurielius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Add-on / Patch Querry

Am a US Gothic fan and given up waiting for the US version..so I just ordered the UK version. Does it require any patches and if so where could they be found?
Second.......Night of the Raven ....what exactly is it?
An Addon? a supplemental quest pack? a patch?
Post Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:08 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Add-on / Patch Querry

quote:
Originally posted by Aurielius
Am a US Gothic fan and given up waiting for the US version..so I just ordered the UK version. Does it require any patches and if so where could they be found?

Yes, it requires a patch ... but non is available yet. The UK version has some bugs the German version never had and itīs very sensitive regarding misconfigured PCs. If you have the tiniest configuration problem G2 will find it and punish you with installation or stability issues.
But still, the game is absolutely playable. Many people before you finished it without trouble. Just make sure to use more than one saveslot and enjoy the game.

quote:

The add-on.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:44 pm
Jabberwhacky
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The game doesn't "require" a patch. I think when you asked that you meant more along the lines of playing a foreign game on a local machine, right? I got mine from gogamer and it worked fine; only time it crashed was when trying to change both the resolution AND color depth at the same time (say going from 800x640x16 to 1024x768x32, that'd give me an error).
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:10 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

small buglets like wearing two rings and switching them. You must take off armor and stuff to equipe the second ring. Not a show stopper. Some text translation still in German. I believe these will be fixed in the patch with the release of the US version to make the Uk version up to date with it.

I heard the US version will have new voice acting recordings in place of some of the hick voices. Who knows really until October 7.

If it will be that long for add-on, I need people to vote on what they wnat in my MOD patch for G2 Uk version 1.31. I have Dragon and Seekers tougher, text corrections, money and experience exploits removed and made the character somewhat weaker starting out. I would like to put alot more into a final one, I realy do not know which way to go.

So should I just post tutorials and the code patterns so people can just play around with it on thier own? Maybe a consensus can be made.

Any news of the patch for UK G2 v1.31 if, when, and what?

Really hard to make Mod, fan patches if the code is going to be changed next month with patch. It would be waste of time. But the tutorials for modding game would still be of use -until Raven is released, then data formats may be changed drastically (back to drawing board).
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:07 am
HorrorScope
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Add-on / Patch Querry

quote:
Originally posted by Aurielius

I'm not sure where you live. But I had quite a surprise a week ago I was in Fry's in Sacramento, CA. And low and behold they had a couple copies of Gothic 2, I've been since playing. So in reality I really have the UK version? I have noticed some German text.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:03 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

You got the Uk version if you have German text, especially in the skills information window. I fixed that in my Mod patch. It replaces the gothic.dat file. There is no release date for a patch yet. I assume when US version is released, but the buglets are small and not a show stopper.

I heard the US version will have more polish and better voice acting for some NPC. Must wait and see if true. The patch may make up for it anyway, so do not worry too much.

The US version and UK version have different Box Art pictures. If yours looks like the one on this site and says Infrogames on it instead of the new name Atari, then it is UK. Uk version number is 1.31. US version will be a different number I assume. Plus, it is not for release yet until at least Oct 7, some even have as Oct 29?
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:39 pm
HorrorScope
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yep I got the UK. Thanks! That was a real find to see in a store. I was there today, the rest are gone. Is there any rumor about the add-on (Raven) and the US release?
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:41 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

US version pre-view click here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic2/preview_6071616.html

The English voice recording for Raven add-on were reported as started in London on Sept 4, and take a couple of weeks.

Europe/UK may see the English release by Chrismas Holiday (since G2 was released there a few months ago already); and who knows when for USA; but gogamer.com will sell imports for here in USA out of California for low cost and cheap FedEx shipping (avoid overseas shipping cost).

Raven really makes even the original G2 shine; tougher monsters and better combat system IMHO. Plus the add-on is big. You will want to play through all over again and again!

Plus the Mod Dev Tools included with add-on and the fan hex code mods will allow hopefully custom quest and new monters! With StudioMax 3D you can even create new maps/areas.

Once code is finialized. I can hardly wait.

If you want to try one simple MOD I have a plain basic G2text MOD that only corrects the German and some other minor text errors. Makes the skill system easier to read! I would assume the patch would adress this though. Just drop me a line and I can e-mail it too you. It is the game.dat file about 1 meg zipped.

Another one has that text correction, tougher Dragons and Seekers, and nerfed some exploits only.

AND even another one I call G2Hard for the hardcore player.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:08 pm