Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Installation problem (InstallShield, not Morrowind)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Sphynx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Installation problem (InstallShield, not Morrowind)

As I was installing Morrowind today, my computer froze and I had to reboot (This wasn't Morrowind's fault, my computer has been difficult lately). Now, when I try to install, I get an InstallShield error:

An installation support file 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32\iKernel.exe' could not be installed.

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

I have no idea what to do, I've never had any trouble installing with InstallShield before. Also note that I started installing Diablo II without a problem, so it may be something specific to Morrowind.

All help is appreciated.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:49 pm
Burnin Luv'

I can't tell you specifically what is wrong but I can give you some things to try...

I tried to find that error in the InstallShield Knowledge base but came up empty.

First, make sure there are no instances of ikernel.exe running already and try again. IS really doesn't like that. If you have rebooted there shouldn't be.
I know you have installed diablo2 since, but I don't know what it uses for installation...could be a different version of IS that doesn't use ikernel(ie Windows Installer might not...doesn't matter).

Next,
Try deleting(or moving to be safe) that 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32' directory...unless you actually have the installshield development application installed it shouldn't be a problem and will be replaced when you run another IS install.

Next, I would just try and wipe out all traces of the previous failed install:
Delete the failed install's folder
Delete references to Morrowind in your registry(as always, be careful)

I work with installshield for my job but this install didn't put it's info files where I expected to find them so it must use a different version than I do.
If you were installing my product I could tell you exactly what to do to recover, but as it is I'm just stabbing in the dark.

If I think find out anything else I will post.

Good luck.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:20 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Try to uninstall Morrowind (remove programs with Windows).
If it will not work, try to remove registri entries for Morrowind. You can do it with some program like Norton Utilities or other registry cleaner or manualy by using regedit.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:22 pm