View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
Fallout is definitely a good game. Anyway, I think swordsaint here should give it a try or at least go through several reviews on the net.

And its on the cheap here in the UK. (I got Fallout 2, Deus Ex and Commandos for £10 in total, talk about value ) At the moment, Fallout 2 is sitting on the shelf saying "Play me! Play me!" But it doesn't seem to work on my computer (I can install it, but it says I need 20mb hard disk space) so I'm going to try it on my pre-industrial revolution computer.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:54 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

New games needed

Swordsaint, I am having the same problem, different chapter. I am looking for something on the same order as Arx Fatalis and Gothic. I love Arx the best. I prefer the firstperson RPG that has good story and graphics and lets me build my character but not have to keep numbers in my head. I like puzzles and quests but I don't want 24/7 of them. If anyone has played Arx and found a good one like it please share with me. I'm waiting for Gothic 2 to be released here in US. Until then I'm replaying Arx for the hundreth time... I must say I am still learning new tricks so I don't mind playing it again. Thanks.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:44 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Re: New games needed

quote:
Originally posted by cmckj50
I prefer the firstperson RPG that has good story and graphics and lets me build my character but not have to keep numbers in my head. I like puzzles and quests but I don't want 24/7 of them.

Have you tried Morrowind?

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:57 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Games

No, I have not seen it. It's so hard to tell what a game is like from the sales pitches. Can you give me a short description of what it plays like. Is it singleplayer? Is it a first person view? Is it buggy? Can I find a download of a good walkthrough. Nothing worse than getting a game you like and then find out you cann't finish it because you get stuck on some part. I don't want to wait to find out the answers in the middle of a game if I can have a walkthrough on hand to refer to. Thanks in advance.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:27 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Uhm... A brief description of Morrowind... OK. I'll try my best. Singleplayer. First-person and can be played as a third-person, too. (Like in Gothic). Not buggy. Any bugs I know can be fixed with add-ons and there are *many* of those add-ons. You can find *many* guides on the net. It's hard to talk about walkthrough in case of MW, just because the game is not linear at all. In fact it is so non-linear it can be boring for someone. You can do pretty much everything you like. You can roleplay this one for sure. With minimal self-made restrictions I was able to enjoy roleplaying in MW more than in any other recent game. Official expansions (2 of them) are both nice and Tribunal is highly recommended as it adds to gameplay in general. You can finish MW, there is no impossible tasks or puzzles in there, it is just one long game. And depending on your style of play it can be either amazingly interesting or boring as hell. there is no demo of MW. My recommendations would be in three words:

Reviews.
Buy.
Roleplay.

Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:40 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

To buy or not to buy?

Thanks stanthony. I just like to hear from someone who bought the game for sure. It sounds like what I want. I read the reviews from Amazon. But I got burned there once, so I rather get game to game comparisons. Gothic was great, Arx was my favorite, and sounds like MW will be next on my list. Thanks again.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:49 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

You may also find this link with tons of reviews helpful.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/index.php?url=/links/links_reviews.htm&bg=06

I like this one a lot
http://www.zengamer.com/review.php?revid=21

EDIT:
And here you can find many end-user reviews:
http://www.pcgamereview.com/reviews/roleplaying/

Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:07 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thankyou Thankyou!!

Great links. I'm not the most well rounded on the available boards for games.. These look very useful. I already gave in and ordered the game and the one Pac, the latest one, from Amazon. Just used my card and treated myself. Thanks for all your help. I'll probably be on some board trying to get help to play the game in a week or two.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:15 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Re: Thankyou Thankyou!!

quote:
I already gave in and ordered the game and the one Pac, the latest one, from Amazon.

Good decision! I'd say though, that the first expansion is better, but... I played through MW first time w/o it, and still alive It just adds some nice little touches to interface etc.

quote:
I'll probably be on some board trying to get help to play the game in a week or two.

You're always welcome here with any questions. MW section maybe not very active right now, but I'm sure all of your questions will be answered.

Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:31 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Expansion paks

If I like the game, i'm sure I'll go and get the rest. They had a little sale on this one so I added it to the order. I went to the board and now i'm searching for an Avatar I can download to it. I like this one but I haven't found a straight link. I'm still looking. Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll be back for more help soon.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:36 pm
swordsaint
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thanks

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.
I WILL sell my soul (it's not much worth anyway without a decent RPG to merge with for like the next 2 weeks to get my copy of PS-T and of the fallout series.
It's just that it took me quite some time and reading to figure out all the stats-systems and charactercreation-possibilities in the blackisle-games that now that I fully understand these things and have come to see just how great this system is designed, I feel a bit reluctant to play less RPG's with less complex system or plots. My fault I guess, maybe I was just spoiled.

thanks again everybody,

Swordsaint

PS : I forgot to mention I played Deus Ex and I loved it but to me it's more a FPS than a RPG.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:23 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Swordsaint,

As an aside, you could try the likes of Heroes of Might & Magic 3 or Age of Wonder 2 to keep you going for a while.

These are not RPGs, but are set in similar environment. They are more strategic with a bit of rpg (small letters).

I found both good fun for a while and both are about £5 here in the UK.

Do not be deceived by the apparently simplistic gameplay. I borrowed the strategy guide for HOMM3 and it was huge....so there is a lot to it...and for £5 you could pass a sizeable amount of time with them.

Just a thought,

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:18 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: do I need to retire?

quote:
Originally posted by swordsaint

After playing BG I,II, ToB, IWD I, HoW, II, NWN, Divine Divinity I can't seem to find anything anymore that lives up to the glory of these games.

According to the games that you played, i understand that you like 2D isometric hardcore RPGs. You must try ARCANUM, FALLOUT 1-2 (These games use turn based combat system. All of the games you mentioned use real time combat system, so there is a slight chance that you can not like Arcanum and Fallout), PLANESCAPE TORMENT (Lots of dialogs, less combat, beautiful story,like reading a fantasy novel). And then, wait for GREYHAWK: TOEE (turn-based). You may also try LIONHEART (first 20 hours reminds me DIVINE DIVINITY, other parts more DIABLO like)
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:01 am
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Ditto to the above. The Troika titles are among my favorites, especially Arcanum which i've played a few times. They do multiple scenerios very well. Since they're the ToEE devs I'm most looking forward to their take on D&D classics.

FYI I just saw that Gamespy is going to have a Tim Cain chat tomorrow at 4!
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:18 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

ok friend here are my suggestions:

-- Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (+expansions)
-- Neverwinter Nights (+expansions)
-- Gothic 1 and 2 (play first one first)

Those are the king, prince, and duke of CRPGs right now.

EDIT -- btw, ive played all those you mentioned as well. i especially love all of the AD&D ones, so fun. And Throne of Bhaal like took months to finish from starting with BG1 Same character through the whole thing, that was sweet. anyway, those three are my suggestions. There are a few others coming out that are good. Also, you might want to look at an mmorpg? haha.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:31 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2