Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Newbie question: what do i do at the start of the game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Dustin4u
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi,
I just started to play this game and i'm not sure what to do.

I'm in the old camp ( like 10 minutes into the game) then i talked to people for an hour then i followed Baal to the swamp camp and talked to people for another hour.....now i'm standing at the swamp camp gates and came here to post this.

Basically whats the purpose of this game? What do i do now? Do i go back to the old camp and talk to more people or do i go elsewhere, do i go try to find stuff to kill ( even though everything can kill me it seems).

How do i get money so i can buy a weapon ( besides this mine pick) and armour.

Any hints or steps in the right direction on what i should be doing next or in the future would be great.
Post Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:00 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Wrong forum!

I donīt want to spoil too much. Here are some things to try and some to avoid.

-Swamp Camp pick the chest at the smithīs
-locate the shark watcher and fulfil his desires.

-go back to the OC.
-talk to Thorus, get his quest
-collect all the other quests
-find Mordrag, let him lead you to the NC
-free armour at the free mine.

general stuff:
-save often and rotate your slots.
-save _before_ you try to open a gate.
-keep your options open. Do all the quests you can before you sign up for one of the camps.

things to avoid:
-never refuse to take a quest. May stop the plot.
-donīt enter "separated" locations until you get the order to go there. This means donīt open gates, donīt even touch winches (bug!). There are lots of other things to explore.

Have fun.
Post Sun Dec 09, 2001 6:23 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Goal:
To get out.
Thats your greatest wish, and goes above everyone you meet. However, right now you dont have a clue how, so just do what people tells you, and take quests, solving them one by one... You will discover more and more over hand.

Good amount of money can be gained by:
* Getting lockpick and lockpick all locks in the old camp (and the newcamp§camp)
(This gives you more than you can imagine).

* Buying the skills to take stuff from killed animals (given by one of the rangers you will meet on the way between the starting point and the old camp). As sooner as you get thoose skills, the sooner you will become money-independant. Specially Wolf-Skins or Reptile Hides gives lots of money when you are 'inexperienced'.

* Learning how to forge your own weapons with the blacksmith at OC.

You are free to kill any monster you see, and go everywhere you want, except to the areas that are defenitly "locked". Like Gorath says, dont touch winches if you arent supposed to! Never even try to go near them. You can even kill the entire population of the orc-lands if you wish... The important (quest-related) monsters will respawn when a new chapter begins. The more you explore, the better.
Each time the chapter change, monsters will respawn, so be sure to take out as much as you can before going into chapter 2.

If you "travel in deep water" (go to places with monsters that seems to be very strong and difficult), and find anything 'odd', then keep thoose items. keep all keys you find, and here is a spoiler but a important one - if you find the orc hammer, keep it even if you have/and use stronger weapons. (also keep hold of the grapes if you find them. There are already one bunch of grapes in the entire game, and they can be used in a quest).

Two nice beginners tip:
Once you reach the mine there are two things you need to have in mind:
* Dont return the list to Diego until you have been into the new camp and made up your mind about wich camp you like to join.

* Go down to the bottom of the mine (next to the oven). There are two caves with crawlers here. Take the left and lure the crawlers inside that cave out to the guards. They will kill them for you. Go back inside, there you will find a bone-bow and a +5 ring of dexterity! Your first available bow in the game, very easy to find and to obtain even as a Level 1 character... =)

Best Regards
JemyM

Post Sun Dec 09, 2001 7:49 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Okay, thatīs more than enough to get started.

One last thing. Mana, strength and dex can be learned _only_ up to 100. Donīt drink the potions you find too early.
Post Sun Dec 09, 2001 7:56 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

If you dont play as mage, dont train mana. And yep, dont drink str/dex potions until you have trained yourself up to 100.

Interesting, you will find enough free strength to be able to use the Orc Hammer. "The weapon for mages".

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 09, 2001 7:59 pm