Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Rapax Queen...doesn't want to leave Templer Camp???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Rapax Queen...doesn't want to leave Templer Camp???

Well, what does it take? I literally whipped out the whole of the Rapax Templer Camp (in Novice level, of course) and still whenever I go back to her I get the same message that she'll leave as soon as there is no one to spot her escaping. Unless she notices hidden snippers underground, I don't know what it takes to make her leave. Obviously she won't join up with my party. I was thinking of giving her a Tincture of Shadows potions, but haven't found one yet. Anybody got around this one? So far, in my notebook, it still reads "Free Rapax Queen from her cage...".

Yet another riddle I can't answer!
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:03 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Here buggy buggy!

This is one of the few bugs that never got fixed. The Rapax Queen will never leave, and your quest will never show as complete. Sorry.

I've always thought she should be punished for her stupidity. "For utter idiocy in ignoring a well-executed rescue, Queenie, I hearby sentence you to be killed until dead, with no chance of parole."
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:16 am
otter
One of Us

Nice XP, good drops, no side effects...OK, i'll kill her, too!
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:35 am
Gandalf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Does it really have to "close"?

I wasn't aware that this was a quest that had to "close". Do you not get experience for it? I never even imagined that you COULD invite her to join your party, even though that option button appears when you talk to her. I just left her there without a second thought. Maybe next time I'll kill her too, after stripping her of any useful items first. Never know what nice things she might have on her.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:22 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks for the info, Dteowner. I actually had a portal set right into her cage just in case a solution was presented. But now that it's a bug...well, that sucks. She seemed worth the rescue because she was at odds with her king -- probably why she was jailed in the first place -- and the whole of the Rapax/Dark Savant alliance. I had hoped something interesting would've happen had she gotten out. She even said we might meet again. But...no. What a pity. I actually liked her a whole lot better than Al-Sedexus. Why that demon whore...I haven't stopped scratching ever since...!!! (YEAH, THERE'S ANOTHER "BUG" FOR YOU!!!!)
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:44 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

My theory, based on absolutely no facts, is that saving the Queen was supposed to make the battle at AP easier. Like several other story lines leading to AP (Umpani and Trang), it never quite got done.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:57 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Though I heard that Wizardry8 was 4 years in the making, I do wish just how intense an impact it's producer, Linda Currie, would've realize it had on it's audience. Though I don't want to say a lot more should've being put in, I do wish they would've finished something that started up some excitement and anticipation -- like those story lines just mentioned. But I suppose the funds just ran out.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:45 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Believe me, they really did care a lot. I've had conversations (forum exchanges and a couple emails) with Linda, Brenda, Charles, and Alex. They were all quite passionate about the game. I think the whole financial ruin really took a toll on the group, beyond just eventually losing their jobs. I really don't know how Ian and Linda got screwed so badly by the various publishers, and perhaps they did it to themselves by trying too hard to force funding for Wiz9 as part of getting Wiz8.

Wiz8 was my first game in the Wizardry series. Based on that game and what I know of the people behind it, I will sorely miss Sir-Tech.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:58 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Believe me, they really did care a lot. I've had conversations (forum exchanges and a couple emails) with Linda, Brenda, Charles, and Alex. They were all quite passionate about the game. I think the whole financial ruin really took a toll on the group, beyond just eventually losing their jobs. I really don't know how Ian and Linda got screwed so badly by the various publishers, and perhaps they did it to themselves by trying too hard to force funding for Wiz9 as part of getting Wiz8.

Wiz8 was my first game in the Wizardry series. Based on that game and what I know of the people behind it, I will sorely miss Sir-Tech.
I love Sir-Tech & the whole Wizardry series - I won every one except #4, and I can remember buying #2 when it first came out. (A friend recommended it to me at the time , and I bought my copy of Wiz #1 and #2 at basically the same time.) Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic of someone coming in and buying out the rights from Sir-Tech and producing more. There was a previous thread here on this before, which I won't dig out now. Thanks for the memories Sir-Tech. It's been a fun 20 years.

@Dteowner-Maybe you'd want to try Wiz 1-7? You can buy it on 1 CD called the Ultimate Wizardry archives. The graphics on 1-5 are very primitive, but the stories have plot lines with a few surprises. I say #1 and #2 have great replay value for character building purposes (nothing new to discover, but fun to just keep building your characters to higher and higher levels). You can see the graphics improvements from time in #6 & #7 (remember #7 came out in around 1994). #7 is actually much bigger game than #8. From #1 to #6 the stories are much more linear, but in #7 it just has complete non-linear potential. If you're interested do an internet search or check e-bay, because I doubt you'll find it in stores any more. If you can't find a place to buy it on the internet, PM me.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:43 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I already miss Sir-Tech as well. Just like "Looking Glass Studios" -- who brought us Thief 1 and 2 -- the best are no more. Though the only relief I get from it all is that if they were still in business, they'd be producing games that would've simply out-powered my femputer. Thus I couldn't play them...unless, of course, I used vodka money to buy a new femputer...

Anyway. My point is that I wish game makers would learn to use simplier, more efficient graphics engines that didn't need super fast femputers. It's all this drunken obsession the public has for pretty graphics instead of game play... well, I'll leave it at that.

(Though if anyone's wondering why I use the term "femputer" instead of "computer", it's because I see my machine as a sailor sees his ship: as a female).... O--kay. Maybe you're right. I should get out more often.
Post Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:23 am