Members
Usergroups
New to RPGs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Quez

New to RPGs

Hi all...im new to RPGs but have caught the bug...i just finished dungeon siege and liked it alot...

What do you all recommend as the next game? I havent a clue about AD&D rules and dont even know where to start to learn them?

Im thinking Bal.Gate, but not sure what the ADD rules are and if you need to know them???

Any help appreciated?

Thanks All....
Post Sun May 26, 2002 5:50 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You do not need to know the AD&D system to play Balder's Gate. I certainly didn't. But you should realize, Baldur's Gate is story driven, not action driven like Dungeon Siege. If you are looking for hybrid action CRPGs, then you might want to consider Diablo or Diablo 2. Gothic is more an action adventure RPG, you could try it as well.
But if you are looking for a deeper storyline, then you can't go wrong with Baldur's Gate 2.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 5:57 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

I also suggest Gothic.

It is my only RPG I have played and before that I played FPS. I must admit that Gothic is better then a FPS game.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sun May 26, 2002 6:04 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Quez - these would be my suggestions:

Diablo 2 - if you liked DS, you'll like it, too.
Gothic - more story, but still some action.
Thief and Thief 2 - very nice games.
Icewind Dale - like Baldu's Gate, but more action.
Wizardry 8 - VERY nice RPG with a good mix of action and story.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 6:13 pm
quez

thanks

thanks all i will try some of the games...btw, loved thief 1&2

what about the ADD rules, what are they...should i learn them, how do they impact gameplay?
Post Sun May 26, 2002 6:21 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The computer handles most everything. The manuel for Baldur's Gate 2 does an excellent job of explaining everything you'd need to learn.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 6:25 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

A short warning:
Most good rpgs have their very own personality. You´ll hardly find another genre where the most popular games are so different concerning their gameplay. Gothic, Wizardry 8 and Dungeon Siege -only to name a few AAA rpgs- have close to nothing in common!

So it might be a good idea to spend a minute or two to find out where your priorities are:
-one char or a party?
-first person view, third person or isometric like DS?
-real time action or turn based?
-intuitive combat or tough, precise combat (DS vs. Wizardry 8 )
-is a good story important? May result in a lot of text or dialogs.
-is combat more important than story for you? Story needs time.
-do you need multiplayer?
-linear or nonlinear gameplay? (DS vs. Morrowind)
-simple or diverse character development?
(Could be continued indefinitely. )
Post Sun May 26, 2002 6:32 pm
SirVincealot
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Love, valor and victory!

Pray tell, what didst thou enjoy in DUNGEON SIEGE?

If thou dost like combat and "shopping" (slaying beasts to acquire gold, then using gold to buy powerful items and wielding powerful item to slay more beasts, then repeating to the last boss) then BALDUR'S GATE will appeal to thee! Verily, the BG series doth not make but the tiniest, incremental change to that there time-honoured formula.

Be warned! BG and its sequel, which I say unto thee is FAR superior in every way, doth show all the unrefined mechanisms of early computer games. Unwieldy inventory management, load screens by the hundreds, piss-poor pathfinding and mine all-time favourite: the complete destruction of thy party of adventureres (and thy immediate reach for the "Load" button) by beasts manifold more powerful than thee when thou durst enter a higher-level 'zone' too soon. Aye, BG is a pure "rock-paper-scissors" adventure!

If thine interest be picqued by meaningful story-telling, multiple solutions besides slaying everything in sight and actual conversations with NPCs that doth exist as more than placemats, thou canst do no better than FALLOUT; an olde but still better game than most of the Orc-like trash lining the shelves of thy local purveyors of interactive entertainment.

In the hardcore "olde school" stands ULTIMA VII, still the grandest of them all; verily, they do not make them like that any more!

In the latest, open-ended, shallow, but mind-boggingly expansive stands MORROWIND.

Somewhere in the middle is GOTHIC. A further word with thee about GOTHIC: the fairest compliment I can pronounce of its controls is that they require getting used to.

This, of course, is but the merest sampling of some big names. I say unto thee: do try the smaller development houses, I guarantee thou wilst be amazed. One such is Larian with the forthcoming DIVINITY. A sweet game.

May your kills be quick, and many
SirVincealot
Post Sun May 26, 2002 6:46 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

How patient are you and do you like to read a lot of text? And I mean A LOT of text.

If that doesn't bother you should definitely try the Baldur's Gate series. Awesome games. Like Val said: Don't worry about the rules you'll quickly get the basics. The games use the 2nd edition D&D rules (BG II also use a little of the new 3rd edition). I haven't read any D&D rule books. I learned most of the rules through playing D&D games from the 80's and till now. You don't need to do that. The manual also gives a brief introduction to the rules. You could of course get one of the source books but I really don’t think it will be necessary.

Icewind Dale is a "lighter" BG with more action so that may also be an option. There is also a Icewind Dale II coming in a month or two.

Also do you have a preference in view? Isometric, First Person or Third Person?

Both BG & IWD uses the isometric view, which is my favourite.

If you don't want to read a lot and are looking for more action I agree with the others in that Diablo II is a good choice. Personally I think Diablo II is better than Dungeon Siege - story-wise but the engine is nowhere in the same league as DS.

As always I'll add Fallout 1 & 2. They rock!! They maybe a couple of years old but if you like a post-nuclear setting, mutants and laser rifles it doesn't get any better than this.

Gothic also gets my vote. Simply a great game.

Not to forget: Morrowind. If you have a powerful system this is definitely a game you want to get. You’ll get a lot for your money.

EDIT: Ok a lot happened while I wrote this. Sorry about me writing much of the same as the previous posts.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 6:51 pm
Quez

thanks all

thanks all ...im obviously clueless and i appreciate all of your fine suggestions....

two more questions and then i promise ill stop hounding everyone...

what is real time vs. turned based fighting and is there any RPG games based on soldiers/military and not fantasy and magic?

thanks again
Post Sun May 26, 2002 8:28 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Re: thanks all

Turn based is when each character, enemies, etc, each have a turn at performing an action while in combat. It's easier to plan out stratagies that way.
Real time is when everyone moves at once.
The Fallout games (excellent btw) are based in a post-nuclear setting. No elves allowed. You could try out Fallout Tactics. It's newer with better graphics. But they get rid of most of the RPG elements and go more for the action in that game.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 8:33 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I can only think of Jagged Alliance 1 + 2 were you control a band of mercenaries. I have never played them but they are supposed to be good.

Real time Vs. Turn based. Real-time is like Dungeon Siege and turn based is when you take a turn and then the computer does a turn kinda like chess. That’s basically it.

EDIT: Well, too slow again I see.....
Post Sun May 26, 2002 8:33 pm
Elder Dragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Jagged Alliance 2 is very good, but I wouldn't really call it an RPG, more a strategic game with RPG elements

don't know about any other military game either
Post Sun May 26, 2002 8:44 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Another option nobody mentioned yet is playing some demos. This will help you get a feel for this complicated genre.

The Divine Divinity and Arx Fatalis Demos sound like a good start. Both games are not available yet but look very promising.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 9:00 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

If the BG series are RPGs JA 2 ought to be called a RPG as well... that's what I heard. Liked that and the Thief games, too.

...I hate demos who try to install on C:. I don't have enough space there so I can't play the Arx fatalis demo ...
Post Sun May 26, 2002 10:04 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next