Usergroups
Troll vs. New Camp --- the video . . .
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
rodd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic has got some very interesting AI.
Here's what happened: I was exploring north of New Camp discovered the thug lookout (took them both out w/my longbow) then wandered into Toll Valley.
Scurried back to the lookout post and climbed it, then made the easy drop to the otherwise unscaleable mountainside. Crawled around the flank of the mountain and procceded to take out all the Goblin Warriors about 10 feet above them. Dropped down and took all the goodies including journal entry, potions, etc.
Then decided to check out the BIG critter at the back of the valley -- after saving. Discovered the Troll and for fun thought I'd see how far he'd follow me back.
With some timely arrows (no damage) he followed me all the way back to NC the ground trembling all the way.
Ducked behind the gate guards to see what would happen. The troll advanced into NC and was soon surrounded by madly scurrying NPCs.
Bloodwyn finally had to pick on somebody his own size. Graham, Thorus, Diego all got into the fray as the troll advanced up the lane towards the arena.
Diego hopped up atop the shanties beside me as he fired away. Slowly the NPCs began to beat him back but not out of NC. They finally brought him down over by Gravo's kip.
Funny, funny movie. The battle took almost half an hour (full motion video) real time. Not a single NPC (not even the diggers who scurried around like disturbed ants) was killed and all during the battle the troll showed no signs of damage until he finally went down. Perhaps the AI enlisted a mage & I missed it. I then proceeded to loot the troll, save & quit.
I didn't get to participate in the battle, everytime I'd draw my weapon somebody would ask if I was looking for a fight (duh?) so I mainly kept to the rooftops and observed what the Gothic AI would do.
If I continue, will the troll's demise spoil the game. I probably won't but am curious. Also I saved the game at various points during the battle and might reopen them at some point to see how the AI plays out a second time thru.
Sorry for the LONG post but I'm still LMAO over the half hour video (you could almost hear Bloodwyn cussing away . . .)

rodd
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:20 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Funny ! Even though you might need the troll later on .

Oh, besides, shouldn't it be OC...?

Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:36 pm
Darnalak
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

There will be another troll for diego and him to beat up later

Darnalak,
The Necromancer
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:06 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

When I was followed by a croud of Orc Fighters from the Orcland and fled into the OC the shadows and guards attacked me instead of the Orc. When they knocked me out the guy who hit me last time said: "Let's forget about this argument..." I was shocked!
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:26 pm
rodd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You're right about OC. What made it so delightful was the battle was static. The NPC's just didn't stand around and whale away at the troll, individuals would change their tactics as the battle waged.
Ditto for the troll. When he was along the outer wall he grope away inside the diggers's huts with one of his mitts while you could see the digger with his back against the wall.
Going to copy & save that Saved Game File for future laughs and let it play out however it wants to.
So besides what seemed to be unscripted (but very intelligent AI) I could run around keeping just out of reach and stand close to Diego, Thorus or just out from under foot of the Troll and observe all the small details.
Final one was classic, I had just collected my Troll booty and was headed over to the North Gate when I passed Gravo headed back 'home' and I swear he was just shaking his head as if in disbelief . . .

rodd

Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:25 pm
rodd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

WHOOPS !!! Should have said the battle WASN'T static. It definitely ebbed & flowed.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:27 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

That last part about Gravo sounds quite like the Great Me Hunt led by Bloodwyn I wrote down elsewhere (forgot in which thread, though .
I never thought an NPC might look baffled, but obviously, me and Bloodwyn running rings around Scorpio while trying to swat each other flat into the ground were too much for the poor AI; Scorpio obviously didn't know what to do, and he looked like it.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:34 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

should have taped that battle
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:59 pm
Shurik
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

excuse me I don't really understand english very good. So you got your troll into New Camp and saw a FMV movie that showed you a troll battling People from Old Camp?
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:34 pm
Shurik
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

excuse me I don't really understand english very good. So you got your troll into New Camp and saw a FMV movie that showed you a troll battling People from Old Camp?
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:37 pm
Shurik
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 6:22 pm
rodd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

the FMV was a little inaccurate. after I lured the Troll into OC the battle between it & the NPCs took over half an hour (real time) and was similar to FMV but better in that I can move around, change my view etc.
BTW, as an experiment I started the battle again near the middle (where I had a saved game). Each time the results were different.
One time the Troll continued up the lane towards the arena, he got surrounded but the normal guards (Diego, Thorus, Bloodwyn left the fray when it moved to far from North Gate) were unable to kill it. As more of the experiment I started to sleep nearby & wake up to check our the progress.
Two and a half days later the battle was still a stalemate.
Another time some of the guards left (end of their shift?) and the Troll spotted me, made a beeline and SPLATTT !!! I was history.
The 3rd time I discovered what killed the old beastie. I lured the Troll right up to the castle gates and Thorus abandoned his bow and that sword of his only needed about 5 hits and the Troll was finished.
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:27 pm