View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
aidzvill
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I need your ideas and suggestions....see the posted question

Hello fellow gamers, i'm adrian from the Philippines

i have a paper to submit. It is primarily about video games but my paper focuses on what goes beyond video games. Like the economy, social life, friends, health and a whole lot more. If you have anything to say i would really appreciate it if you would put your name or even just a nickname so that i could acknowledge you in my paper.

Here is the question: What can u say about video games except the fact that it is for entertainment?Thanks so much for all your help

Video games are here to stay so live with it!
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:53 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Let me throw out some ideas for you. Games provide employment, not only for the makers, but the printers, sellers, etc. They teach skills of all types and can help improve co-ordination. Some games require advanced problem solving skills as well as some lateral and creative thinking. Some games involve a lot of reading (PS-T anyone) which, if in a foreign language, can help improve knowledge and usage skill with that language. Games can also be therapeutic. Hope that gets you started.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:35 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Games keep you off the streets. It prevents children from demolishing things and using drugs and so. Also the gaming community is very good for social contacts.
And of course it keeps you busy on a rainy day.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:39 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Games are Satan's tool to control the youth and corrupt them for evil means. They rot your brain worse than drugs. Games deaded your conscience and make kids have an apathy for violence, or even worse, become violent. If it wasn't for video games there would never have been any slavery in the world. It is a well known fact that there would be no invasion of Iraq if it wasn't for the evil influence of video games. A video gameless world is a world oif peace and harmony where Arabs love the west and everyone holds hands, hugs, and rubs each others fannies.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:55 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Video games can educate, not only kids (Edutainment) but adults too. Grandmaster chess players use video games to train themselves and practice. I've read somewhere before that "All mammals lean by playing." Video games are just an extension of games in real life, and like those 'real life' games, we learn something every time we play them.

Another that nobody has mentioned yet is social interaction with people all over the world. Online games let you meet and compete with/cooperate with people you would never have the opportunity to meet in real life.

Good luck!
-vaticide
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:48 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Games that can be played over internet is the only chance for some of us nerds to pick up chicks.

Just kidding.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:33 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I've made a few friends via Neverwinter Nights. So video games sometimes help you with your social life.
I see video games the way I see movies: There's a lot of trash out there, but there really is great stuff worth watching/playing. A truly sublime game is just as much a work of art as an Oscar-Winning movie.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun May 02, 2004 2:44 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

A good game should have your brain involved. Whether it is a debate about where to build your next factory, what spells to prepare, or what technology to research next, the experience should be a very interactive one.

While playing X2 recently, I spent a good hour or so sketching out a my economic plans while accumulating the credits to implement it. I then quit out, designed a spread sheet or two, went back to the game, tried tweeking a few numbers, watched the results, saved, quit, and spent the next hour playing around in Excel with different business models - just so I can buy a bigger ship!!
Post Mon May 03, 2004 6:19 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Games are an enjoyable past time just like any other hobby or activity.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 8:10 pm
aidzvill
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thanks so much for all the help so far! These ideas from gamers will echo from my paper! so far i'm doing well. thanks again for all your help! Anymore ideas are soo much welcomed!
Post Tue May 04, 2004 1:49 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

As much as games are entertainment, I do think they serve other purposes, and can actually be beneficial in a number of ways. There is a book that I would recommend you read, that gets more into it in depth than I could ever get here. It's called Killing Monsters, by Gerard Jones. It argues among other things, that killing creatures and overcoming the insurmountable odds that are stacked against any young aspiring protagonist are good for the developing psyche at large. It helps confront inner fears and anxiety, and defeat them even. I borrowed it from the library, but it is worth a purchase if I saw it on the shelf of a bookstore. Gets a bit redundant, and he tries to stretch out his core argument over 200 pages, but overall it is a good book on a subject that gets but a mere amount of the psychological study it should.

I personally believe many young boys and girls are raised within a certain insulated framework of society, and as we become more advanced and comfortable, are less able to deal with real danger, fear, and rejection or defeat when confronted. To some degree, we shelter children far more now than they used to be. Little Sis Sam is overprotected first by her mother, then by myself and a network of other family. She doesnt have quite the same liberties I had as a young high-schooler, as I prolly had less than my father or mother had. As times change, so does society for better or worse. Am I arguing for an Xbox in every home? No, that would be every young boy's dream legislation come true for sure. But then again, purrhaps that tells us something there....
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue May 04, 2004 5:05 am
aidzvill
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

THANKS a Very LOT!!!!
Post Tue May 04, 2004 10:06 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

"We don't stop playing because we grow old... we grow old because we stop playing." -- George Bernard Shaw

So you are going to post your paper here after you finish it, right?

-vaticide
Post Tue May 04, 2004 4:15 pm
aidzvill
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yup! but its a long paper so i'll probably email it to anyone who asks. The first draft will be finished by sat this week and the final would probably be on thursday next week.
Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:14 pm