Usergroups
Crash!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Crash!

I bought Morrowind, hoping for the best. I took it home, installed it, and started to play. In the room in the beginning where you pick up the stuff off the table, there is a door you're required to walk through. Whenever I open the door, the game crashes to my desktop. I tried reinstalling it, it still did the same thing. I took the game back to where I bought it and got my money back. I have since bough Splinter Cell with that money (a worthy purchase), but since the price of Morrowind has gone down, I have considered getting it again. Can anyone tell me what my problem was and or how to fix it? Any help on the subject would be nice!

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:53 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Difficult to say. If you know someone you could borrow it off to see if it works, that would be best. Otherwise...

There were several issues with the game causing severe crashes. Morrowind is very sensitive to your hardware drivers for one thing - it might be as simple as upgrading to the latest DirectX. Your system may already have changed enough to fix whatever problem existed.

For me it was the video drivers. Terrible frame rate, usually couldn't survive getting out of the boat. If I got out of the boat, I wouldn't survive getting into the office! Simply updated to the then latest stable nVidia drivers, and all was well. Other people haven't been so lucky, although I've not heard of anyone who persevered but never found a solution.
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:55 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

quote:
Originally posted by cfmdobbie
For me it was the video drivers. Terrible frame rate, usually couldn't survive getting out of the boat. If I got out of the boat, I wouldn't survive getting into the office! Simply updated to the then latest stable nVidia drivers, and all was well. Other people haven't been so lucky, although I've not heard of anyone who persevered but never found a solution.

What is your Video card?

@MageofFire: Updating to the latest patch might be a good idea. Also I had some problems when I had WindowsXP, as it crashed in different places each time. However on Windows98SE(the best of all time) it works perfectly.
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:46 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I had (and still have) Windows 98, and it wouldn't work. However, I did update my drivers, and upgrade from 128mb RAM to 384mb RAM.

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:31 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by ~NOBODY~
What is your Video card?

Mine? 32MB GeForce256 DDR, a first generation GeForce.

quote:
@MageofFire: Updating to the latest patch might be a good idea. Also I had some problems when I had WindowsXP, as it crashed in different places each time. However on Windows98SE(the best of all time) it works perfectly.

Actually, my problems were on Win98SE... And I really wouldn't call it the "best of all time". One of the worst, I'd say - but that's a difference of opinion I guess!
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:57 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Memory user for sure.

I had similar problem, but I have winxp. I found a thread showing how to shut off all unnecessary processes and freeeeed my memory a lot. I have crashed once since then, but only after 8 hrs of game play straight. It was 10 to 20 min before. With 98 you should be able to find someone or place to help you shut down everything you don't need, and update drivers and patch is a must as well. I read that on another board and it makes a big difference. Ram is biggy and sounds like you fixed that one. Hope you get it resolved.
Mark Twain
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:04 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

My card's a GeForce 2 MX/MX400 32mb VRAM

Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:25 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

There're some programs that free & defragment RAM, try one of these. Most of them are freeware.

P.S. How did you update to the latest drivers? I wasn't able to do this with my GeForce 4 MX 420, they said they don'tdo drivers for Windows98 anty more
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:11 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Beats me. I just went to nVidia.com and downloaded the latest drivers. They have a section for Windows 98/ME. It worked.

Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:39 pm