Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I really need advice/help cause i'm lost. performance!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Cypress Hill

I really need advice/help cause i'm lost. performance!

Alright, first of all my system

AMD thunderbird 1ghz, 384 ram , Elsa gladiac920 geforce3 on windows xp pro
i have tweaked several settings in the geforcetweaker to make the performance

in the game better, i have AA at 2x and in the game, half view distance{mid}
and shadows OFF. right at the start in seyda neen, it just stutters and bogs

down bigtime...though these tweaks helped, it really didn't do it at all....
i even did what himilayanjake said, i edited the system.ini file
downloaded that patch for morrowind, i overwrited it with the original

executable...it really does run better than it did without all these

tweaks{it was INSANE slow before tweaks} but still big stutters when

exploring towns, in open field it's alittle better..still definetely not

smooth...i even hear storys from people that have a 500 mhz AMD running the

game wonderfully....HOW the hell can that be...i believe it cause i saw it

with my own eyes..but still so damn strange...what other things can be done to make the peformance increase...cause this is no fun....it's really no fun playing the game this way....for example what PC did gamespot.com use in their video review...it ran insane smooth as can be seen....if someone knows anything to help...do tell me....

Will try that performance boost from that topic that just got posted.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 7:32 pm

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Go to HIGHEST possible res, and DISABLE aa. Dissable 3dsound. Update morrowind.ini (see my post some lines down). Enable 4xagp. Defrag. Then check it like this:

460x480 everything OFF. Check if it still stutters. If not increase detail. Report back with settings where it begins to stutter.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 7:51 pm
Zaal
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Cyprus: First thing you have to do is get realistic. Before you freak out, I'm not flaming you. You have a decent system but it's not top end, azz-kicking screamer. I should know: my system is very similar to yours minus the OS and the GF3.

This program pushes the boundaries of technology. You should be prepared to admit that you machine isn't going to be able to cut the mustard and roll back a few of those settings. Do you really NEED AA? No, you could get by without. Do you need to have the furthest viewable distance? No, you can scale it back to 3/4 and still get great atmosphere while gaining a small performance boost.

Also, there has been some talk that if your desktop resolution isn't the same as the reso you are running the game in you will lose FPS. Seems to be the case on my machine, even when I am LOWERING the reso in the game. Really strange.

This isn't a shot at you, Cyprus, but I wanted to vent real quick: I am sick to death of people with above average systems coming on here and whining that they should be able to run this game at 50 FPS since other games run smooth as silk. This isn't other games; this is Morrowind. It's beautiful and amazing and doing so much with your CPU cycles that your processor cries every time you place the Morrowind disc into your CD-Rom tray.

One last tip: Do not enable the FPS meter down in the lower right. It will just make you think about the speed you are getting instead of enjoying the game. Enable it to get your system right where you want it and then turn the sucker off! Hell, I am only getting 15 - 20 FPS outside and I am one happy MF!

Good luck to you, Cyprus, and good gaming!

Zaal
Post Sat May 11, 2002 8:30 pm
Cypress Hill

I never talked about framerates i don't even have that on..my point is ...

my friend has and AMD 500 MHZ ,512 ram and gf3 on winxp pro...let me tell you the game runs like a speeder from starwars so to speak
it just really runs FLUID!!! with pixel shader on, view distance at highest
2x AA and shadows off...you should agree that it's very weird then that i got these big slowdowns...i should bypass my friend easily...and it really doesn't ...that's just very very weird..., about AA ...i tested it back then when i just installed the game ....it doesn't make any difference strangely enough if i put anti alias at off or 2x....so of course i run it with 2x aa....
Post Sat May 11, 2002 8:43 pm

Zaal
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmmm.... there is obviously something up with your computer.

What reso you trying to run this in? Is your drive defragged? How much overhead do you have running in the background? Things like that. There's alot you can do to speed up your system in general.

I have my box tweaked quite well and ran MW with an original Geforce 256 quite nicely. I ran out and bought a Geforce 2 that was on sale for quite a nice price and noticed a jump in picture quality and FPS but still not above 30 FPS.

You didn't mention the Reso you were trying to run in. What reso would that be?

Trying to help.

Zaal
Post Sat May 11, 2002 9:10 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Well.... Here are my specs... 1.4gig athlon xp 1700..512ddr ram with 5000 rpm fan and heat sinks on ram. heh. geforce 3. No matter what i did the game ran like crap. Knowing geforce cards never could get the aliasing technique down and still cant.. I decided to try ati radeon 8500. Game now runs great. 2x aa full distance 1000x768. Also try lowering your monitor refresh rate. Then reboot the comp.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 10:14 pm
Cypress Hill

I run the game at 800x600 even on that reso it has those damn slowdowns...so weird....well yes...i did defrag my hard drive...but that was not right before i started MW...it was last week that i defragged it...i got morrowind monday....is it really important to defrag again? or wont it help at all..since i already did that last week...
Post Sat May 11, 2002 11:41 pm

LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

I have:
1.2 Athlon clocked @1.3
WIN XP PRO
382 133 RAM
GF2 64 clone clocked @210 (paid about 60$ for it )
40GB 7200/8.5ms

Rez=1024X728
Wiev=max
Shadows=max
AA=off (kills 50% of the mouse lag in menus)

No slowdowns, just smoooooth play. now if i only could get rid of those ghost sounds & those drops to desktop (yes i have latest drivers)...

EDIT: IMHO, defragging does squat to performance for this game. For me it didn't, just lost 2 hours of valuable gaming time.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 12:18 am
Zaal
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Cypress Hill
I run the game at 800x600 even on that reso it has those damn slowdowns...so weird....well yes...i did defrag my hard drive...but that was not right before i started MW...it was last week that i defragged it...i got morrowind monday....is it really important to defrag again? or wont it help at all..since i already did that last week...

What's your desktop reso set to? Some people have stated that playing the game in a reso other than what you have set your desktop to can hinder performance. May be a Wive's Tale but who knows? Try setting the game to the same reso as your Desktop.

No, if you defragged just before installing it shouldn't be a problem.

I am making the assumption that you have the latest drivers for your vid card?

There is causing something in your system to bog down while playing MW. It's easier to find bottlenecks in a system that is sitting right in front of you. Have you tried ending all processes except for explorer and Systray? How about virus scanners in the background? Mcafee used to have a habit of configuring itself so it scans all files as they are used. Have you tried tweaking the vid card itself using any configuration programs that come with your card?

After that, I don't really have much to add. Hope you find a solution to your problem.

Good Luck and good gaming!

Zaal
Post Sun May 12, 2002 12:30 am
Morolinith
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Kinda off the subject but, I tryed the following things on my system. In Win2000 I tryed it with all the tweeks on the web, and then did the following to see what would happen. Have Norton Internet Security running with all options on, Norton Antivirus with all options on, Windowblinds on. used NVMax to turn the clock speeds all the way down, opened up Adobe Illustrator 10, Photoshop 6.01, Pagemaker 6.5, Framemaker 5.5, CorelDraw 10, and Freehand 10. Then opened Morrowind and only got 1-2 FPS slower with all this junk running in the background, Creepy.
The System I'm runing is;

P4 1.7
512mb
60gig 7200 rpm HD
Geforce 4ti 4400
Dual boot Win98/Win2000

(Defraged right before installing MW)
Also tryed it with and without a stupid swapfile in Win98 and it made no difference. Also turning off AI and running in wireframe mode using the console makes no difference in FPS on my system.

Running with View Maxed
AI Maxed, because it makes no difference in fps on mine at least
shadows off (Only a 1-2 FPS hit when on full)
1280x960
Post Sun May 12, 2002 5:52 am