RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
keida
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Having to go back in time...

..to find a decent game to play.
I had played Gothic 1...it was ok.

After the last year watching all the garbage that was supposed to be the future of gaming..even HL2 was only just ok.

MMORPGS don't get it for me...I don't really like people( and most people don't like me either)..why? oh why? would I want to play with others?

So anyway..I was in the store and saw this game...for only 10 bucks!
So I thought " What the heck! I'm bored!"

Best 10 bucks I ever spent! Way more fun then G1! IMHO...

Dragon hunting here I come!!

Just seems such a shame that the better games come out in Europe now and some never make it here...like the Fall: last days of Gaia..etc. and even the add on for this game.

Heres hoping G3 makes it here...
Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:10 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

About which game are you talking about? and is this not the wrong forum for this?
Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:29 pm
Morning.LemoN
Village Leader
Village Leader

i guess he's talking about G2, only forgot to mention it

G1 was "ok"? man, you have hard taste
i'd suggest giving a MMORPG a try...they can keep you busy until another good CRPG comes...

quote:
I don't really like people( and most people don't like me either)..why? oh why?

Welcome to the Forums!
Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:01 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, the quote was pretty funny. Reminds me why Iīm a pure SP.

Welcome to the forums!

Itīs already clear that The Fall will be released in North America. The German reviews say itīs a good game with lots of technical issues, so itīs probably a good thing you get it later.
If or when TNotR comes out in English is still unclear. Iīm pretty sure it will come out at least in the UK (-> to cover all the smaller European markets).
Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:36 pm
keida
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am talking about G2...sorry!

I've tried MMORPGs..lots of them...and unless you have some cronies to play with...your pretty much left out.

And since I'm a confirmed hermit...SP is the only way to go.

Glad to hear about Gaia ( I really liked SOA, I played it to death)

In G1..I really didn't like the choices of who I had to join...but it was still ok.

G2 is fun...
Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:36 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

G1 didn't always make sense. Game balance anyway. I smacked a critter with an 80 something damage sword and heard a big meaty thunk but not even a sliver of damage was done. You had to somehow hit it in the right way to damage it which usually was found out when you were long dead. You were forced to learn skills you didn't really want to learn. IE having to learn one handed so you can do two handed. Certain creatures were considered gods too which was a pain....I could drag a swampshark throughout the whole swamp camp and have it kill every single templar who wasn't invincible. There was no real incentive to earn anything since all you had to do is beat up everyone for their stuff. I was also annoyed no one really slept. So sneaking was a waste of sp as was pick pocket. Magic was a pain, you had to wait for it to drain all the mana cost before you could fling the spell. The groups you had to chose from were redundant...two mage groups, two fighter groups. The voice acting for the hero in G1 was absolutely awful. In English anyway. I always hit ESC as fast as I could so I didn't have to hear it. Some of the voices didn't fit with the characters. Lares in G1 sounded like a dumb brute instead of a cunning rogue. Diego's voice should have been the same in G2 as G1. In the second one he sounded like a man in his late 90's. I noticed the changed the race of Jarvis from white to black and instead of sounding like a young punk that needed to be smacked around he actually sounded like a man. They changed Cipher's appearance and his voice. Cipher in the second one had a more detailed face and his voice was more distinct.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:45 am
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
G1 didn't always make sense. Game balance anyway. I smacked a critter with an 80 something damage sword and heard a big meaty thunk but not even a sliver of damage was done. You had to somehow hit it in the right way to damage it which usually was found out when you were long dead. You were forced to learn skills you didn't really want to learn. IE having to learn one handed so you can do two handed. Certain creatures were considered gods too which was a pain....I could drag a swampshark throughout the whole swamp camp and have it kill every single templar who wasn't invincible. There was no real incentive to earn anything since all you had to do is beat up everyone for their stuff. I was also annoyed no one really slept. So sneaking was a waste of sp as was pick pocket. Magic was a pain, you had to wait for it to drain all the mana cost before you could fling the spell. The groups you had to chose from were redundant...two mage groups, two fighter groups. The voice acting for the hero in G1 was absolutely awful. In English anyway. I always hit ESC as fast as I could so I didn't have to hear it. Some of the voices didn't fit with the characters. Lares in G1 sounded like a dumb brute instead of a cunning rogue. Diego's voice should have been the same in G2 as G1. In the second one he sounded like a man in his late 90's. I noticed the changed the race of Jarvis from white to black and instead of sounding like a young punk that needed to be smacked around he actually sounded like a man. They changed Cipher's appearance and his voice. Cipher in the second one had a more detailed face and his voice was more distinct.

All I can say is that: make a better game than G1, then we`ll talk! The problems you have with the game are quite stupid (sorry!). Tha game was made in 2001, so they didn`t cobncentrate on the detalis of the gampeplay, but on the world mostly...it was really hard to make a big, detailed world that could run very good on the PCs in 2001. I onlay had problem with the ending of G1 and that is because Jowood urged PB to finish it fast! PB didn`t have the time to think ot through hard..and the ending became a little dull....the way you had to defeat the Sleeper wasn`t quite fun...but apart from this, I didn`t have a single problem with the game.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:42 pm