Sister Outpost/Ylsides & The Oliver Quest
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Arcadia
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sister Outpost/Ylsides & The Oliver Quest

Right, I've the Krahoz, and can't locate tbe entrance to the Snake Women. I read there's a way down from L4/L5 to L6. I found on L5 (not far from the cult's rm), a passage blocked by a force field, and a nasty Ylside on the other side. I cast bless, poisoned my slayer blade, even threw a cpl of fireballs for gd measure, but just can't beat him. Once, just as I thought I'm finally close to killing the scum, another one appeared to attack me. Grrr... just how do u beat these 2 guys?? Are there anything worth looting on them? Shud I try to cast invisible & just sneak past?

The other one: how do u trigger the Oliver Quest? There's supposed to be a notice on this in the tavern, but the only 2 I found were the one near the bar, and another upstairs by the gambling table - neither of which relates to this quest. I did find later in the game, the chest where ur s'posed to place an emerald, but found it locked. Any help to the above will be GREATLY appreciated!
Post Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:43 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Answers

You should avoid that place for now. That is the last place you want to enter in the game. The entrance to the Snake ladies place is through the caves on level 6. Go to the stairway that is near cave entrance, level 4, and other way goes to lake and rebel camp. Get to level five and explore to find more caves, and there will be a tunnel that opens to the snake ladies area. You might want to get map for level five and then find room 34.
Olivers Quest does start in Tavern. Go back and look at the walls behind the guy sitting at the table in front of you as you go up the stairs. Read that and then quest is triggered. Then go to the chest and Use the emerald on the chest. (F key) That should do it. Hope this helps.
I think I can make it clearer. Go past the lake and into the cave and take left and then first left. There is stairway to L 6 off cave 10 as well.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:26 pm
Arcadia
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, many thx for ur help, I found the Sister Outpost, and once there, didn't hv too much trouble getting the Zohark . It's the Crystal Cave next, but (I know this sounds familiar, lol), I've searched all over L2, and can't locate it. I d/loaded the PDF file (which I find really helpful), but there isn't any indication on how to get there. I must hv a really bad sense of direction, because it seems like I'm always lost, lol, although I feel a little more in-game help wud be nice.

I've also managed to "use" the emerald on the chest for the Oliver Quest, but I didn't find that notice in the tavern u mentioned. Maybe, I triggered the quest earlier w/o realising.

Ps. I'm playing fighter, but don't want to totally suck with spellcasting - can anybody advice on this - what's the min pts in casting a fighter can get away with? Is 10 for INT enuf? I can cast fireball but not the higher level ones like dispel magic, levitate, etc.
Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:15 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Stuff

Crystal cave is a little sneaky. Go to goblin city on level 3 and walk past the troll center and around it to the left all the way behind it as far as you can go and then go right, there is a little stairway hidden there.
If you go back to the tavern you will see a wall that lights up behind the guy. Click it and you see the message. As for Spellcasting, you do need some of it to use and do stuff latter in game. 14 strenght is plenty for warrior I found. Strength, object knowledge, and then dexterity and mental are key ones to work on. Also as aside, be sure to download and install patch if you haven't done it yet. That is a must. Your casting skills are in your book according to the level you are and how many runes you have. You will not have much luck with a spell if you have not reached that level. Scrolls work no matter what level. Keep them as you find them, and use only if must. Hope this helps.
P.S. edit. Scrolls are linked to your level by the color they are, you can still use them, but if your level is too low, they are not as effective, and may not work at all if difference is too great. I messed that up a little.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:09 am
Arcadia
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, sori, actually, right after posting my note, I remembered how to get to the Crystal Caves - I'd confused it with somewhere else. I've just destroyed the meteor (took the goblin prison route to the temple), but can't go back the way I came - the doorway won't open. I hope I don't hv to fight my way thru' the temple - see them nasty Ylsides everywhere. I cudn't get the better of the last cpl I met.
Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:11 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Ylsides

Try fireballs to the face one right after the other. The gate through the prison should open. It may be you didn't try to open it from the other side first, but you said you got in that way. There is hidden button on wall. Good luck. Have fun.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:03 pm
Ray Troxell
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Goblin prison to Meteor Room

Arcadia: I'm trying to get to the Meteor thru the Goblin prison but can't open the portcullis. Ths secret button nearby does'nt do anything. Can you help me?
Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:17 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Hidden button

You have to go in the temple the first time and open the secret passage from the temple side the first time in order to activate it. You will be going to the temple twice in the game and opening it makes it easier for the second trip later. Have to go the tavern way the first time. And the second if you missed the passage the first time.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:19 am
Arcadia
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ray Troxell Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:17 am Post subject: Goblin prison to Meteor Room

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcadia: I'm trying to get to the Meteor thru the Goblin prison but can't open the portcullis. Ths secret button nearby does'nt do anything. Can you help me

Yes, it's like what cmckj50 described, thu' all those hidden buttons and levers in the game can be tricky sometimes. I had the same problem u had earlier, but it worked eventually - I guess, maybe, u had to be at a certain stage of the game, after the quest has been given, for it to work. Good luck to u, once u get in, destroying the meteor is easy, but keep an eye on those Ylsides - they move really fast. I've not actually played since my last post - just hate getting killed by those Ylsides, but just read cmckj50's tip abt fireballs, so will try again. Lol, if u can, smack a cpl of those Ylsides for me!
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:44 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Ylsides

I have one more suggestion for those who are not strong enough to fight the first set of Ylsides you meet. Check your stats and if you are near to leveling up go check all the other levels again for respawned rats and spiders and goblins. The very first level you started the game at has a few goblins hiding in there usually. Also you could kill off all the trolls of need be to gain xps. They have done their part if you are at the part about the temple stuff and the rings. Just a thought. Then you can add to strength and casting and beat the Ylsides.
Mark Twain
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:16 pm