Usergroups
inventory limit or a bug ????
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
rodd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Reading theseposts and my limited (so far) experience in the Gothic universe made me believe there wasn't any limits to what you could stash in inventory.
that ended up costing me over 9,000 ore nuggets and a lot of other stuff.

Finally made it into the castle and before talking to Gomez, I decided (as is my wont) to explore & loot where I could. Slowly worked my way up the central tower.
Slow going as most of the chests and doors and each locked by a combination of EIGHT left/right choices.
Because of the long reload times I hate opening chests but figured I'd clean out the Tower and be done with it.
Pretty good stash -- both quality & quantity. And I grabbed everything, including the 11,000+ coins (somebody might want them in Gothic2), 2,000+ goblets and the 8.900 ore nuggets in one of the 2 chests in the next to highest level of the tower.
Then decided (out of curiosity) to see how many pcs I actually had. Which was little over what I had when I started my tower climb. !!!!

Seems that once you get a certain numeric quantity of goods (at least in the misc. section) the items are no longer added to your inventory.
Unfortunately you are given no warning when your inventory is considered 'full'. And the loot doesn't remain in the chests or fall on the floor . . . it simply vanishes from the game world. Lost to you forever. Arghhh !!!
Since I had only one (snurf) chest to go I dropped my 11,000+ coins (only had 10 goblets of the 2,000+ I thought I had so didn't bother dropping them). As an experiment and opened the final chest.
With the 11,000 coins gone I was now able to add to my inventory normally.
Don't know if this qualifies as a bug or not but since I did a quick archive search & as I didn't fine this mentioned, I thought I'd pass it along as a warning.

since I hate opening all those chests I'm not going to start my tower climb over again. I'll just kiss the loot off to experience.

Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:55 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I noticed some discrepancy in the count of ore when trading. I think the reason is that large numbers do not fit in the item's icon and get clipped. See if this is the case - you could have 9111 something items before and 19999 after the tour - this could be the case.
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:39 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:

On 2002-02-13 14:39, Divine wrote:
I noticed some discrepancy in the count of ore when trading. I think the reason is that large numbers do not fit in the item's icon and get clipped. See if this is the case - you could have 9111 something items before and 19999 after the tour - this could be the case.

He's saying that, when in great quantities, an item's # indicatior will not fit in to the box of the item. So you should be fine.
In short, there is no limit.

[ This Message was edited by: sauron38 on 2002-02-13 16:01 ]
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:59 pm
rodd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's a good idea but I don't think that's what happened. 11,000+ coins fit in the inventory (five digits) but it seemed once I added that NOTHING else was placed in my inventory at least the misc. area --- not further coins, nuggets, candlesticks, you name it.
It was only after dropping the coins that I was able to successfully add items again.
I don't feel terribly cheated. I still have almost 4,000 nugets on hand and goods worth close to 3 thousand nuggets to barter and another 2,000 arrows/bolts after buying Diego's best armor.
And while I'm in no hurry to rush thru the world of Gothic (totally to the contrary) I'm hopeful my character will get thru the barrier BEFORE he has to begin plan his retirement investments . . .
Post Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:51 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You only need a few 1000 ore for better armour and training. All the other stuff is superfluous, except for the few stat increasing potions.
Post Thu Feb 14, 2002 2:24 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

hmmmmm...maybe they stored the value in an INT variable..they should have used a double.... )

Post Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:53 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

INT should be well enough: I could never have 32767 items at the same time even after robbing the OC Castle
Post Thu Feb 14, 2002 2:52 pm