Members
Usergroups
Joining Guilds/Houses/Factions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Thekinslayer

Joining Guilds/Houses/Factions

I'm at the point where I should probably join some faction/guild/house, but I'm not sure which one to join. They all seem very similar, and as a light fighter/weak mage, none seem to fit my "type" exactly. So any advice on whcih to join or clarification on actual functional differences between the guilds/factions/houses would be welcome.

Also, is it possible to join the Cammona Tong?
Post Sun May 26, 2002 4:09 pm

Thekinslayer

Another question

Just realized that I have another question: Just how many factions are there in Morrowind. I know that there are 3 houses, 3 guilds, the Imperial Legion and the Imperial Cult...Are there others that I don't know about yet?
Post Sun May 26, 2002 5:21 pm

Fireteddy
City Guard
City Guard

Apparently there are six houses. The ones I know about are Telvanni, Hlaalu, Redoran, Dwemer (extinct) and Dagoth (extinct). I don't know what the other one is. Maybe I'm just making this up. My battlemage is having a hell of a time finding a house, too, and I might just settle for Telvanni if I find nothing better.

-Matt

EDIT: As to Factions, I can think of the following: Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Ashlanders, Blades, Camonna Tong, Morag Tong, Imperial Cult, Dunmer Temple.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 6:06 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Hlaalu is for the sneaker/speechcraft type of characters.
Redoran is good for fighters.
Telvanni is for mages.

Personally, I like Hlaalu best, but their requirements for promotions do not really match my skills.

Fighter guild, thieves guild and mage guild are self explanatory. Imperial Legion is good for fighters, imperial cult good for healers. The local temple is an option, too. Morag Tong is thief.

If you want to stay in both fighters and mages guild or the imperial guilds to high ranks, Hlaalu is the only really option. The relation between them are good.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 6:17 pm
Gaming-Module

The house you are missing is house Indoril. I don't know the story behind them, or where they are, but ordinators wear Indoril armor so that may be a clue.

As to the factions you can join. There are:

Fighters Guild
Thiefs Guild
Mages Guild
Imperial Legion
Imperial Cult
Dunmer Temple
House Hlallu
House Redoran
House Telvanni
Twin Lamps
Morag Tong (you cannot join the Camonna Tong)
Bal Molagmer
Three vampire clans whos names I don't know.
The Ashlanders

And the two major paths of the games core plot involve joing either:

House Dagoth
Blades

There are also other secret groups that are hinted at, the Order of Talos and the Dissident Priests.

I'm sure there are a couple more somewhere, very well hidden of course.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 8:13 pm

Thekinslayer

Thanks for the information. Last couple questions: Is joining a faction irreversible? and will joining a certain house or guild early on (as in level 3) make it impossible to join another faction that I haven't met yet (such as twin lamps)?

Oh, and what are the Morag Tong?
Post Sun May 26, 2002 9:25 pm

The Morag Tong is the local honorable assassins guild. The Twin Lamps are abolishinists, think underground railroad. You have to free slaves, or certain slaves to gain membership.

As far as joining certain groups barring you from joining others, you can join all the guild as long as you have got the right skills, but the guilds ask you to do some naughty things to the other guilds, so unless you are very very sneaky you will eventually have to complete that quest where the Fighter's guild has you kill a member of the Thief's guild, or the Thief's guild has you rob someone in the Mage's guild and that will get you kicked out of whatever guild you screwed over.

Also, you can only join one house and one house only. Probably the same with the vampire clans. I have personally done anything with the Legion, Cult, Temple yet so I am not sure if you can only join the Legion and not the temple, or the Cult and not the temple.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 9:34 pm

Thekinslayer

Great thanks.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 11:15 pm

A Storm Atronach

Indoril isn't in the game. However, in addition to the factions and houses or gracious site owner has described, there are three vampire factions, each with its own set of quests.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 12:38 am