Portals Rock! (too much?)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Portals Rock! (too much?)

Hey all, I've had portals for a while now in my first game, with 5 of my characters with the capability (if hybrids had no other magic than portals they still might be worth it ). It has drastically reduced the tedium of the game, ever since I got my 2nd portal caster because I could teleport back to my base whenever I wanted to, and teleport back to where I was exploring (the beauty of the 2nd caster). It is *really* awesome now with 5 portal casters, as I have now direct teleports to the major towns/traders (with the help of the teleport room), and it allows me to get or sell whatever I want in an instant. But I think it may be overpowered because it allows you to do a full rest between every battle, by teleporting to a safe zone to rest and then teleporting back to the danger zone. Not that you always need the full rest, but knowing that it's there is the single biggest impact of any feature in the game. The game is split for me in pre-Portal and post-Portal, and I love the post-Portal, of course. But do they perhaps change the balance of the game too much?

- Wind
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:06 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

While you're "away" creatures can respawn, so bouncing back and forth isn't always a good plan. By the time you've got 5 characters with portal, I don't see combat being a scary undertaking anyway.

A while back, I came up with a little theory about the progression of an RPG. You start as a baby, where everything is about growth of skills; you become a young adult, where skill growth is still important, but you start to have an impact on the world around you; you continue to adulthood, where the primary goal is making your mark in the world; you finish in old age, where you primarily reflect on where you've been and tie up loose ends.

By the time you have 5 portals available, I'd say you're very near "old age", so the game is more about storyline than combat and skills. When you're at that stage, slowly marching around the world is unnecessary and a little boring.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:30 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Moonstones in Ultima, Lloyds Beacon/Town Portal in Might & Magic are the parents of this concept - i like it, but it should be difficult to get a short cut.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:23 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Don't know about the moonstones, but the portal spells and Lloyd's are all high level spells, which means you don't have access to them early in the game when the journey is as important as the destination. I probably would have bumped them up to level 6 spells in Wiz8, though.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:41 am
otter
One of Us

Hehehe! If you have a Portal set to the Mana/Hex fountain, you never need to rest more than the few seconds it takes to un-Hex.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:53 am
Jenny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Where is the mana/hex fountain?
Post Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:31 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Trynton, before you get into the upper branches.
Post Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:51 pm
otter
One of Us

I've since stopped using the fountain--i just use Mana Stones and set a Portal at a merchant who'll recharge them and sell good ammo reloads, too.
Post Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:36 am