Is....?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Stevethemad
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is....?

Is wizardy8 a non-linear game? how much freedom is there? as i seem to have come to a dead end in Arnika( first Time ). I have spoken to everyone , searched and looted everywhere i can get to ( except for dark tower , gave it a wide berth ,lol mook house and house which is boarded up by order of HLL ).

What i have left to do in journal is, try to join MOOKs, find the missing orb for tracker. Also find a use for Wheel key ( have and idea its for door in monastory, no ones suggested i should go there yet *shrug* ), but Braffit and the HLL guy gave me no quests or any info or directions. And there seems to be no help with whats in journal , so i went for a wander to try and find Trynton to speak to Shaman ( Bruz suggestion ), and dieD on road,lol killed by some lvl8/9 bats i thought i could take.

Very funny with Rattus Rattus check, lol

Well anyway, am i on the right track? just explore and talk to peeps or have i missed stuff in Arnika? Normally with rpg games theres normally some sort of indication im playing it right, but with this 1 i seem to fill that im missing something, abit direction less.

Thanks for any sugggestions
Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:28 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Feel free to head for Trynton.
Post Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:31 am
otter
One of Us

Wheel Key
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
You're right.
Post Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:59 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Re: Is....?

quote:
Originally posted by Stevethemad
Is wizardy8 a non-linear game?

I have two points of view:

- Wiz8 is only partly non-linear game. You have only several choices. I will give you no spoilers, so I can only say that there are several choices that will make your game different and there will be choices for different endings, but still there is only one story and there is not so much freedom as in Morrowind (for example)

- Wiz8 is nonlinear because it is nearly wholy safe to go where you want to, to explore whole world and still you have no reason to fear that you will spoil your game, that you will be not able to finish it, that you will encounter some bugs or so...
Post Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:36 pm
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

I'm beginning to like Wiz8 a little better than Morrowind. You have a clear, fairly linear quest that takes up the main plot, but the world's big enough that you can go off exploring, and, say, go do some of the optional quests with the Umpani. You don't have to wander ENDLESSLY around this gigantic world with no specific goal like in Morrowind, but there is opportunity for exploring.
Post Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:56 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by shai_aus
I'm beginning to like Wiz8 a little better than Morrowind. You have a clear, fairly linear quest that takes up the main plot, but the world's big enough that you can go off exploring, and, say, go do some of the optional quests with the Umpani. You don't have to wander ENDLESSLY around this gigantic world with no specific goal like in Morrowind, but there is opportunity for exploring.
I'm playing MW now after about 6 months of constant Wiz8. While I was ready for a break, I agree completely with your thoughts. I'm finding the lack of focus in MW to be a challenge, making me struggle a bit to keep playing. I don't like to be led around by the nose for quests, but I don't mind at least being shown a couple possible directions...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:53 pm
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yes, I agree. Being led by the nose all the way through is what turned me off console RPGs, Final Fantasy and the like. On the other hand, in MW, you're dropped into this huge world and are expected to go looking for the plot. Of course, some people might not want to do that, but I DO. The trouble is, due to lack of scripted events that further the storyline, the plot is generally very hard to find. While the quests (especially the ones related to the many guilds) are plentiful, I didn't find them to be all that interesting.

Adding to my problem with MW was the lonliness factor. Wandering around a gigantic world is bad enough, but doing it without anyone to talk to is worse. Part of what I loved about Wiz8 and the Bioware games (BG2 and Planescape in particular) was the attachment that I got towards my party members, who often broke the silence with funny conversations and dialogue. They had personality, something which I think MW lacks. You go into a town in Morrowind, speak to a generic NPC, ask him everything on the list, and you've basically talked to the entire town. I also would have liked MW to give players the option of recruiting one or two NPCs, who could help in battle, give you directions, or even provide you with some sidequests. Hell, even if they just walked around with you and made funny comments, I would be happy.

This is just a personal opinion. It is obvious that the majority of people love the complete freedom aspect of Morrowind. The biggest problem for me was, after playing MW for hours at a stretch on a borrowed X-Box, I came away with a feeling that I hadn't accomplished anything. It makes me wonder whether I should keep playing it, and that sin't a good thing for an RPG.
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:05 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

@shai_aus: If you play MW on the PC, I'd download the Lilarcor talking sword mod. The weapon itself is a little overpowered, but not badly so. The creator wanted to bring the sword from BG2 into MW. Some of Lilarcor's comments are very funny. While it gets a bit repetitive, it does a nice job of breaking up the silence.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:34 pm
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
@shai_aus: If you play MW on the PC, I'd download the Lilarcor talking sword mod. The weapon itself is a little overpowered, but not badly so. The creator wanted to bring the sword from BG2 into MW. Some of Lilarcor's comments are very funny. While it gets a bit repetitive, it does a nice job of breaking up the silence.

Really? I loved that sword from BG2. "Advice, eh? Well, I'd suggest that you go find someone and kill him, and then go find someone else, and KILL HIM TOO!"

Too bad I'm playing on the XBox version. If I ever get a PC good enough to play MW on, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

And, while I'm talking about BG2, I like the way that the game opened up in the second chapter. Your main quest required you to raise a lot of money, and you had freedom to achieve that goal by any way you saw fit. You could do guild-related quests, or shoplift and sell the goods to the thieves guild - they don't mind buying fenced stuff - for a nice profit. You could also wander and do quests all over the place, and you always knew that all you had to do to advance the main plot was give the guy in Athkatla 15,000 gold. I like that sort of freedom.
Post Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:56 pm