Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion to narrowly miss Xbox 360 launch?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion to narrowly miss Xbox 360 launch?

Take this as you will...Kotaku is <a href="http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/oblivion/oblivision-delay-official-130579.php" target="_blank">reporting</a> as "official" that Oblivion will miss the Xbox 360 November 22 launch and instead ship December 5th. This follows a day where several large retailers seemed to shift their dates back but Kotaku offers no links sources and I could find no verification at this point, so file this as a rumour:<blockquote><em>It’s official, 2K Games has pushed back Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to December 5. The new release date was confirmed an hour or so ago. No word on why the delay, though I’m guessing that the company needed more time to optimize the game for the 360 because Msoft was so late it getting final hardware out to developers.</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:26 pm
r3dshift
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

You are right to insinuate that this piece of information should be regarded as rumour, being completely unofficial as it is. However, I can't see how the wrods "dealy" and "pushed back" fit in, for if you check the FAQ at the official site, the release date is set to Holiday 2005.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:28 pm
Dhruin

This is why I was careful with the wording but to be honest, the "Holiday 2005" thing is a pretty thin veil. Take2 has officially confirmed that Oblivion is/was intended to be a launch title....since the Xbox 360 launch is Nov 22nd, it clearly is a delay even if Bethesda wants to cover themselves by pointing at the FAQ. On the other hand, two weeks is a pretty insignificant delay.

It does indicate that despite the relaxed demeanor of Bethesda reps in interviews, this is a race for completion. Whether that turns out to be pertinent or not, time will soon tell.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:41 pm

The last thing they need is a rushed release because of M$. If the game turns out to be bugged (nothing new with BethSof btw), it won't be pretty. I don't know what capabilities the new Xbox has .. but you can't patch console games (this generation of consoles at least). For their sake i hope they are not in rush mode.

I know nobody cares, but just for the records, i'll buy it on pc, where i'll enjoy a tons of mods. If it takes more time for the PC version, i don't care. I just have this feeling my FX 5002 won't be able to run this game and i have no money to spare for a new video card ..
Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:56 pm

T Hawkins

Ram

"!I just have this feeling my FX 5002 won't be able to run this game and i have no money to spare for a new video card .."

If you can afford it, get RAM first. I have a FX 5700 and Everquest 2 crushed it until I upgraded from 512mb to 1gb. Just a suggestion.

As per the topic, Xbox Schmeckbox. As pointed out, buggy or not, the PC version can be patched, modded, upgraded and so on.

That would make a good poll. How many of this sites readers are console players, how many PC players?
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:04 am

Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Personally I could care less about the console release, do this effect PC release?
I should think not unless MS has heavy funded the game (not the console version thats their responsiblity anyway), since Oblivion would/does exist with or without the console version.
If I recall the first Elder Scrolls version to even appear on console was the thrid, Morrowwind.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:43 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Yes, rumor. It's only official when Bethesda announces a release date.

Regarding the PC needed to run this beast : 1GB helps a lot, and you don't need the latest technology to run Oblivion, since it will be scalable. For all the eyecandies, a good video card is needed, but it will run (and be playable) on older systems as well.

Here's a good thread:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?s=692f4dbc902ac437c8e22cce7444c123&showtopic=173382
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:27 am
Dhruin

On a few broad points...I'm informed a "launch title" is anything within 30 days of the Xbox 360 launch, whereas I assumed it meant a 0-day title.

Yes, RPGDot readers are almost entirely PC gamers but when you are dealing with multiplatform titles it doesn't make sense not to cover the others. We did have a poll on platform in 2003 and it was 98%? PC...but that will be changing with each console generation.

Finally, I *really* doubt they would ship the PC version without the Xbox360 one, so the X360 version is relevant from that perspective.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:21 am
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by r3dshift
You are right to insinuate that this piece of information should be regarded as rumour, being completely unofficial as it is. However, I can't see how the wrods "dealy" and "pushed back" fit in, for if you check the FAQ at the official site, the release date is set to Holiday 2005.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Pre-Order: Ships on 12/5/2005

$59.99
Available for InStore pickup.
Publisher: 2K GAMES
ESRB: Rating Pending

Platform: Xbox 360
Category: Action Adventure

Ebgames changed there release date and thank god the PC version hasnt been affected by this crap console.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:54 am
r3dshift
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Just a few more words to add to the growing rumour and speculation here

Rhunin, your wording was absolutely good, I didn't mean to harass you. All I meant to say is that if one wants to avoid disappointment, check the official site for release date, There are numerous topics started re: release on the official forums each day, and it's getting rather tiresome. And that's because people don't check the official info, but rely on hearsay instead. Also, no matter what certain suppliers/stores have been "setting" as shipping date, none of those are official until Bethesda says so. Indeed, 'Holidays 2005' is a pretty broad term, and 'launch title' can actually mean 3 months after launch if my information is correct.

And one more thing about release. I couldn't care less about the console release, either (I personally believe that RPGs are not suited for consoles), but what's interesting about it is that PR head Pete Hines is reported to have said that PC and 'box releases will occur simultaneously. Hence, you could hope for a 5th Dec release if you like, but don't take it for granted.

Sadly, I have no direct link to the actual quote or topic - if you check out the official forums you'll see for yourselves how hectic they actually are, which is no wonder considering the nubmer of lame/whining threads started every day.

Cheers for reading this.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:07 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Yeah, I mean I am glad people on the console get to play it, but was just concerened about the effect on the PC version.
I Certianly dont think it is a bad idea to cover some console info to especially since it is crossplatform as mentioned.
I have noticed most interviews lately have been by console sites, MS and their PR machine is going full force, no doubt.

Well possible bad news Gamestop is now 12/5 and EB is still 11/22 for PC version.
Odd/sad thing is that since the merger of EB and Gamesstop it seems I have only read about EB stores closing and employees losing their jobs,
It is possible Gamestop is more offical.

Dang, I wish I had a Bill Gates doll right about now I show that sucka whos boss
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:25 am
Dhruin

@r3dshift, sorry - didn't mean to sound harrassed at all.

We already posted the comments from Pete Hines here:

quote:
We have always planned to release both versions simultaneously. That hasn't changed, nor will it.

@Paul9999, don't put any faith in the retailer's dates. I have a retail store myself - we just get the dates from the disties and they don't really know.

Do some of you guys really think the PC version would ship without the X360 version?
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:38 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Do some of you guys really think the PC version would ship without the X360 version?
My tendency is towards the "KotOR assumption", which is that anything impacting the game will have them shift resources to the X360 version at the expense of the PC - regardless of which I (or we) want, it is the correct business decision.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:51 am
r3dshift
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Cheers Dhruin mate
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:45 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"Do some of you guys really think the PC version would ship without the X360 version?"

Well sure this is a bussiness, unless MS financed to a point that they got a clause in the contract, "they have to ship/release on the same day".
I dont really think this is a MS game, not sure they call the shots.

Different ship dates have happened often in the past, if they cant get one working PC or console, is it worth missing the prime selling season?

Of course this is proabaly mute since we know MS will ship buggy console games (not sure if xbox 2 can get patches) which cant be patched, at least in the past.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:20 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next