People are ungrateful in here!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

People are ungrateful in here!

After browsing this forum for a while I can´t help but think that people are ungrateful towards the people who help them out, be it the spoilers, the general or whatever. It doesn´t take that much time to thank someone who helped you out with something, and a "Thanks" is always appreciated. This ESPECIALLY goes out to people who dont bother to use the search before posting a new topic that has been gone through over and over (Mudan grotto, anyone? What is it, ten or fifteen new topics regarding that one now?). If you feel guilty, don´t bother talking back to me, that just proves you´re dumb. Put that effort on thanking those helping you instead. Right, I´m done. Flame me, punks!

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:27 pm
Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, you're quite right. It IS kinda rude when you don't say thanks to people who helped you out...

This is often the case with "guests". They post a new thread, receive an awnser and after that they dissapear...
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:02 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Thank you, Pinnen, for pointing this out to all of us . But you are correct, there is a certain degree of what I call mindless rudeness here - as in real life.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:21 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Well, I´m glad I´m not the only one with this opinion. And thank you for thanking me

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:22 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

Whilst I agree with Pinnen's original statement - I wonder if people don't post thanks because if they did it would push the post count way up. A lot of help threads often receice numerous answers somethimes a day or two apart so if someone posted thanks to each answer each thread would be twice as long.

Like I said I think politeness costs nothing but this may be a reason why some folks don't post thanks. (Of course sometimes it's cos they are simply rude)
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:28 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Yeah ok, I see what you mean... But how about this; When someone has solved his/hers problem, through the help of others, why not post ONE thanks to everyone? Like ; "Thanks everyone for helping me out, I´ve now solved the problem with your, and especially |n00bGh0ztk1ll4z**´s, help, and I´m off to whack that evil mage/collect that sword/whatever."
Wouldn´t that be nice?
Oh and btw, I think we have a nice polite atmosphere here, don´t we?

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:06 pm
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Just don't help people. Then you won't be disappointed when you don't get a thank you. Thank you very much.
No self control, he just lets his emotions go.
~The Definition of a Madman

=Member of the Flamers' Guild=
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:21 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

I´m not even gonna reply to that. But now I did anyway. damn

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:42 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Every time someone says thank you, it bumps the thread and makes any other questions move out of sight. Not to mention bandwidth use.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:49 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

There was indeed a time on these forums when people thanked others a lot and those who were thanked replied to the thank-yous, and after a while this was seen as a way to raise post counts and thus the behavior discouraged.

But I agree, there's nothing wrong with writing a heartfelt 'thank you all' to the folks who helped you.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:50 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
Every time someone says thank you, it bumps the thread and makes any other questions move out of sight. Not to mention bandwidth use.

Yeah allright.... But anyway I´m just asking for a little politness and friendliness out here in the interactive highways. After all, we all come here with, at least, one common interest; CRPGs and Morrowind. I don´t want i to be like any bar in pick-your-city-Stockholm-is-mine, where people are rude and unfriendly against one another, although they/we all share at least one common interest; alcohol. Right, that was probably the worst comparison made ever, but I think you get my point; why be rude when someone wants to help? In the end, people get tired of helping. Just the other day a send a guy a file. He thanked me, and that made me happy. At least I got to now he got the file. It didn´t help him out unfortunatly, but he thanked me regardless. If he wouldn´t, I guess i wouldn´t cry over it, but now he made me glad instead. Well well, I´m of to work now, so take care all of you

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:20 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
There was indeed a time on these forums when people thanked others a lot and those who were thanked replied to the thank-yous, and after a while this was seen as a way to raise post counts and thus the behavior discouraged.

But I agree, there's nothing wrong with writing a heartfelt 'thank you all' to the folks who helped you.

Incorrect. This ThankYou-You´reWelcome-... mechanism was not seen as a way to raise postcounts. <i>I</i> saw the 'you´re welcome ...' part as spamming which distracts from the infos in the first few posts. There are many examples with 5 serious posts and two pages of chatting, so I asked the responsible member(s) to limit their spamming.
A few months later the tone got more and more unfriendly as the forum size increased.

I, in the Gothic forums, no longer help people who forgot to say thank you the last time they received help.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:50 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Okay, so it was distractive spamming... I didn't remember the details, it's been a while. But as I said, a serious 'thank you' should always be in order.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:03 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Ok, my memory was also a little fuzzy. Everyone say "thank you"... but no one say "you're welcome."
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:07 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Kee-kee

I would like to thank you all for thanking each other! Ah, this fuzzy feeling...
Anyway, I agree with everything that was written above. I don't really like one-word posts, they have no real content in my opinion. Sure, sometimes a word can be worth a fortune, but more often than not it's just.. one word...

But it's always nice to know if people actually appreciate the help that one is offering them. So, yeah, uhmm... that's all.

Meow...
Arhu
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:17 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next