Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Mine was MM 4 - Clouds of Xeen

Post Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:51 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Mine was 2. I played it on a Macintosh, and it's roster system is still one of the best I've seen in a game. (basically, you assemble your party at inns, leaving party members at inns, etc.)
Post Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:32 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I didnt play game from this series yet.

I have question: should I try f. e. Might and Magic 8 or any other previous part?

P. S.: I like games with at least "good" graphics (compared with todays standarts).
Post Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:39 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I played 4, 5 like a maniac, 4&5, 6 and 7 for a few days.

Danicek: No.
Post Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:25 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Well, Danicek, it depends. I wouldn't recommend any of them for the graphics, compared to todays standards. But MM6 and 7 are at least fun to play, if you've misplaced your 3d accelerator or something

I don't think I'm able to play a keyboard-only game, so I doubt I will ever revisit MM2, unless I ever stumble upon a Macintosh. MM4 and 5 are pretty much fun as well.
Post Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:44 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

To recap:

MM1 and 2 were keyboard-only (on the PC) and rather primitive looking.

MM3,4 and 5 were better looking, and had some mouse support. 3 had fewer classes than 4, while 5 I can't remember much of, but it was in the same engine as 3 and 4.

MM6,7 and 8 were all based on a windows engine. The engine is sprite-based 3d, with polygons for the landscape. MM7 introduced some 'special 3d' effects, but they are rather crap. MM7 has more classes than 6, and MM8 totally turns the class system on it's head, allowing you to play vampires, dragons, etc. That was it's biggest flaw, I'm told, since playing as a dragon made the game a bit too easy.
Post Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:50 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Danicek:

Might and Magic 7 was a VERY good CRPG in my opinion. It was long, had a great skill system, nice items, nice environments, tons of quests, lots of leveling, but the graphics were pretty bad. 6 was the next best, but the same bad graphics and a few bugs. If you can handle substandard graphics and you're new to the series, I'd play 7, then 6, then 8.

The other ones are pretty ancient, but Xeen (my first, consisting of 4 and 5) will run in a Windows environment.

[ This Message was edited by: Sir Markus on 2002-03-19 21:51 ]
Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:50 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Danicek: You liked W8, and you like nice graphics. Might & Magic 6,7,8 has a gameplay very similar like W8 with 1. person view, great character development system, and a huge gameworld to explore. MM8 have a wider viewscreen than MM6 and MM7. All 3 games got dated graphics, but in my opinion adequate to still enjoy the great great gameplay in those games.
So expect poor graphics compared to todays standard, but expect to be surprised with the excellent gameplay like W8.
Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:43 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Ok, I will probably try Might and Magic 8 .
Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:01 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Michael C: which MM game did you play first?
Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:11 am
Ariakas
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I've played them all 1 - 8
I liked 6 the best mainly because of the story, and it was the hardest one for me to win.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:09 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

My first meeting with Might & Magic was the number 2 in the serie. Later i tried 3-4,5 and 5A, and much later again MM6-7 and 8. The game has been true to itself by having the same interesting gameconcept through the years. MM2 and MM6 was very huge games! MM7 probably the one with the best character system and storyline for that matter too.
The storyline is also adequate in MM8, but they unbalanced the character system a bit! Loved the wider viewscreen in MM8, and the more active mapping system to identifying buildings etc.
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 8:04 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Might and Magic 8 is on the way to me .

So after several weeks I will vote for 8 .

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-03-21 02:07 ]
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 8:06 am
Ryder
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Mine was MM2 on the C64. Finished that and noticed MM1 available, bought that and returned it the next day as it was nothing compared to MM2.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:31 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Started with MM4. While MM6 was probably the best of the bunch, the skill limitations (certain classes could improve certain skills more than others) introduced in MM7 were enough to make it my favorite to play. Let me agonize over party composition for a few days and I'm a happy camper. MM8 was pretty good, but I really hated the "recruit your party" approach they used for that installment. I'm sooo glad MM9 is going back to the "build your crew" approach, even if they compromised a bit by allowing you to pick up RPCs.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:04 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next