FAQ
Members
Usergroups
World Map Woes, and Archery
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

World Map Woes, and Archery

Two things I want to talk about here, the first being the world map. For some reason, using the world map is like stepping up to the edge of a cliff on a windy day--I never know whether I'm going to make it or not. I have a lot of lockups on my comp (not just CTD's, full blown locks) with Morrowind, and using the world map seems to compound the problem. When it is up instead of the local map, it is fairly common for me to lock when going to the inv screen, and it is risky to switch to the WM if there is any kind of graphical complexity in the screenshot behind it.

Now, where is this coming from? My guess is that the computer renders something in that green/brown/whatever area for places you've been in the world, for the people running at insanely high rez's on 21" monitors, so they can see hills and what-not. My computer has the processor (AMD XP 1700+) but just not the video card (ATI RADEON 7200) to work with all the rendering, and shuts itself down. Any other explanations, and is anyone else experiencing this?

Next, is archery. I created an archery character (female, *creatively* named Teucera) because I know that it is not the easiest route, and think it might be something of a challenge. The questions:

1) From an aesthetic standpoint, why is archery left handed? Is this a mistake by Bethesda? It seems a little silly for me to shoot my bow left handed and then switch to a right-hand-held shortsword for upclose work.

2) Does the type of arrow you use make a significant difference in damage or anything else? I know that the bow is the main damage, maybe the arrow is enchantment limit?

3) Where exactly *does* the arrow go? I went into the first dungeon outside Seyda Neen, and was almost completely unable to hit the first bandit. I tried aiming right at her, then above (to compensate for an arc?), then to the right (seemed like the arrow was going that way), all around, but still couldnt hit her. I was above her on the ledge and sneaking, and my marksman was 50 (wood elf/stealth/major), so it doesnt seem to me that it would be falling short or that I just couldn't hit on account of skill level v. armor level.

4) Finally, how does enchanting arrows work? I've d/led a couple mods that add in arrows, spec. the official mod and the "Magic Missle" mod, which didnt seem too completely unbalanced. Anyway, is it feasible for me to enchant my own arrows at any point? Do I need a soul per arrow, or per stack, or can I only enchant bows, or someone help me out here!

Thanks for reading my long-***'d ramblings, and any replies you might be kind enough to write out to assist in the elucidation of the objects of said ramblings.

~Coconuts (gotta register....)
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:11 am

XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

You have to make sure that your not tired (fatique must be high enough)
That improves your rating.
If your bow is in bad shape you hit less to. You must repair your bow sometimes.

How high is your agility (attribute belongging to marksman)

With a marksmanship of 50 you can hit her. Maybe you have to tray aiming it at a mudcrab first to give you a idee of how it works.

The higher the value of the arrow the more damage.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:35 am

Well, agility is 50, bow is undamaged, and fatigue is full, and I was able to hit a mudcrab fairly well, its just when I try the narrower person I miss all the time.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:35 pm

Re: World Map Woes, and Archery

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
1) From an aesthetic standpoint, why is archery left handed? Is this a mistake by Bethesda? It seems a little silly for me to shoot my bow left handed and then switch to a right-hand-held shortsword for upclose work.

Right handed people will generally hold the bow with their left hand and draw it with their right, just like in Morrowind.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:25 pm

Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Regarding the bow :
it is held in the right hand and drawn with the left. if you are left eye dominant, that is how you would draw te bow, even if you are right handed. (although it would likely be held upright and not at an angle) it could be argued that the cahracter is right handed but left eye dominant, but having all the races like that seems a little odd (i have not tired all the races, this is just an assumption). if anyone would like to see a couple of quick pics i took, i would appreciate some information on how to post tem to the forum. i reduced them from 1600x1200 to 640x480 and converted them to jpg using ifranview. my wife has photoshop on her machine, but i don't feel like copying the files over just to touch them up.[/img]
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:21 pm
3DFanatic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Brenner:

Are you sure about the bow being in the right hand and drawn with the left? Seems to me the only time I tried a bow (my character leans towards blades and axes), he held it in his left hand and drew with his right, which would be correct for most right-handers.

Is there an option, when creating a character, as to whether they are right- or left-handed? It's been a while since I created my guy, and my memory is a little fuzzy...
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:52 pm
Coconuts
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yup, he most definately holds with the right and draws with the left. Weirds me out just thinking about it.

The man who couldn't find a horse.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:03 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

i never had a problem hitting someone with a skill of 50.
In seyda neen stending on the lighthouse i hit person across the lake.

I normaly aim on them or a little bit higher. Never to the left or right.

i hope this helps

www.feyenoord.com
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:57 am
AppoX
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

this is concerning ur archery questions "guest".
my main character is too and woodelf/male/with marksmanship as a major, it is at about 59 now i believe, maybe 60. this is what i have found out so far. yes your bow does need to be repaired often because u miss alot more with it rather than a sword. im not to sure about the type of arrow, but i would assume it has some affect on the amount of damage. right now i have chitin, steel, glass, and bonemold (sp?) arrows. another thing is are you using a short bow? long bow? or crossbow? i personally prefer the crossbow because it is easier to hit targets, and you don't have to hold down "r" to increase your damage. with a long bow the bows, when you have a low marksmanship, tend to fly to the left. so aim to the left of ur enemy. it u put the crosshair on ur enemy and u see the bow fly, for example, say 2 feet to his right, then just move ur crosshair 2 feet to his left. the crossbow doesn't move left+right that much, if at all? but it tends to move down. so u should aim above ur enemys head, or wherever u want to hit. just keep trying and u will get the hang of it. i luv my archer/theif. very fun character to play, marksmanship is a very difficult skill though.
hope that helped =/
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:12 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

i use a bonemod longbow.
One thing i did is to put the figt button on the left mouse button.
That makes it easier to aim, hold power in the bow and walk at the same time.
i think my bow does not move to the left or the right.
I got a marksman skill of 55+ and a agility skill of 79.

Marksman is a great skill if you get the hang of it.

www.feyenoord.com
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:47 pm
AppoX
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i have x-box version, so the controller's r cool
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:14 am
Lawnmower
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Marksmanship

My marksmanship is only 44, i tend to use Short Blade. But immediately after acquiring (read, "nicking") a bonemold longbow, i went around to a buncha caves, like that one near Seyda Neen. I lined up, drew back...and dropped the guy with one shot. No fancy tricks, just iron arrows. For me, marksmanship works like a charm. And you would not believe how much fun I have dropping Bull Netchs with one shot from at the edge of view distance. Oh, and aim a little above the end of the arrow.

ZWIP...flutter...THUMP.

Don't do drugs. Pick one and stick with it.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:49 pm

I tend to have the best luck w/ Markman when I'm at the same elevation as my foe... aiming up or down seems to be tricky for the game engine. Also, I have better luck when the foe knows I'm there. That means I only get in a couple shots while they run at me, and sniping is out of the question... sigh. I like the Marksman skill (have taken on some tough baddies with poisoned thowing stars, heheh), but it seems to be sorta buggy.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:25 pm

Glorfindel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You have to lead the target if it is moving and gravity does effect arrows so always aim high, as everyone has said. Increasing one's marksmanship seems to be equivalent to increasing the effective target size; at least for me shots that would have missed before because the target moves a bit now hit. And I have found a Daedra longbow (value 50k or so); complete first Ald'Ruhn Temple quest, go to forgotten part of Shrine and go up, way up. Also gets you one of those Dwemer Propylon code thingies (to use the technical term).

I would like to know the differences in damage between various arrow types and whether it is additive to the basic bow damage. Also about enchanting arrows (just buy 'em myself when I get the chance now); just to reiterate two of the original questions.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:46 pm