Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Idea to get Morrowind to work! But need help to do it.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Idea to get Morrowind to work! But need help to do it.

(Idea in my last post.)

Wow, I love the detail! The fps isn't bad, not slow enough to drive me bananas, but not as fast a Medal of Honor with almost everything maxed. The begining part is cool, too bad I can only see the ship, because as soon as I press the spacebar to open the hatch, I <i>might</i> get the loading exterior message and have it freeze, or it might just freeze, and once I got a partially faded in image of on deckof the ship. Anybody know WTH is wrong? Playing at anything lower than my desktop resoultion (1024x768) kicks me back to my desktop when I open the hatch, then I get an error from Morrowind, and when I try to change the resoultion back, I hear the error sound but the screen goes black so I can't see what it is, and so I have to reset it.

System:
Intel Celeron 700
384MB RAM
Nvidia RIVA TNT 2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (32 meg)
Direct X 8.1
Windows 98

Systray and Explorer running in background.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm also using the .exe without safedisk.

-Monty Python Live at Aspen

I am The Topic Killer!

Last edited by Super_Ant on Sun May 12, 2002 7:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Fri May 10, 2002 12:03 pm
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

finally got an error :P

Upon pressing space to leave ship:

I get the blue screen of death! "Fatal exception OE has occured at 0028:c004E72D in VD CACHE(01) + 00000775"

Then it froze temorarily and dumped be to the desktop. Tried to do something else, but it froze. POS!

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 12:26 pm
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Bump. I finally got onto the deck, but it froze. More of the scene faded in this time, could see someone standing on deck. But haven't gotten further than that. I wish I knew what was wrong.

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 1:14 pm

Turn off pixel shaders.. then try.

Then if it works.. update your vid drivers.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 1:23 pm

Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I don't even think they're on. How would I do that anyway? there's no option in Morrowind to do it. sound n00bish, don't I?

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 1:27 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

When you start Morrowind you'll get a screen (you're still in windows at this time) with several options.
Choose "options" and see what you can turn off/on.
Pixel shading will be one of them.

Also, eventhough your vidcard is supported, I don't think it is optimzed for DirectX 8.1
That might have something to do with your problem.
Your soundcard could have the same problem as well. Not being able to handle DirectX 8.1 very well is known to cause crashes.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 1:55 pm
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I'm updating my video card drivers when I get home. I have to save about 70 more dollars then I can buy a GeForce 3 Ti 200. Two days of work should cover it. Except I work on Saturdays. Argh. I hope an update on my vid card and sound card will do the trick, because I've been waiting for Morrowind for forever and a day.

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 6:51 pm
Bismil

Best thing to do is set everything to min. Keep your resolution desktop and make sure your desktop setting is at 32bits color. Then go under options from the CD and make sure pixel shaders are off and that resolution equals your game.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 6:56 pm

Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I don't think my card supports pixel shading. It's kinda old. I'll try with fog closest, then maybe push it back a wee bit. at 800x600. I hope it works. Only two more classes to go then I can try! woohoo!

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 7:09 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Good luck with the drivers and the upgrading, Super-ant.
I hope it will solve your problems so that you can enjoy Morrowind

Btw, when/if you get that Geforce 3 Ti 200, try upping your resolution.
It's been known to actually IMPROVE your framerate. But I think this only works with such newer vidcards like a Geforce 3 and 4, not for older ones like a TnT2.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 8:42 pm
vladie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How I fixed the problem

Hi.
I had the same problem.
After 5 days of messing with drivers,settings,reinstalls,you name it,I finally snapped.
I went out and bought a 2nd hard drive(which I've wanted anyhow), and windows xp home, full version(had win98 1st edition before)
Installed xp on the new hd,the only drivers I
installed were for my sound card,xp installed video drivers for me.
Sure enough, success.
I do have the most recent xp nvidia drivers,but I'm scared as hell to mess with anything,though my fps could use a lil help.
My guess is that something not as obvious as video drivers may be causing this.
Win xp home
Amd 1.33
Geforce 2 gts pro 64 mb
512 RAM (sd)
Maxi sound muse
Post Fri May 10, 2002 9:15 pm
Sasquatchenator

I am also having this problem, and its driving me nuts! I've done everything that people have suggested about getting better FPS and everything, and those work, but they dont do anything to stop my computer from locking up when i'm trying go out of the ship.

How do i update my video drivers, i dont have any special video card, just the nvidia tnt2 m64...Can anybody tell me what i should do, it would help a LOT!!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 11:01 pm

Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Sasquatchenator, go to www.nvidia.com and then go to download drivers at the dropdown menu at the top of the site and select whatever operating system you have, then download the newest drivers for the TNT 2. I'm downloading the new drivers for my sound card (a Soundblaster PCI 128). Hopefully that will solve my problem. otherwise, I'll have to format my hd and reinstall everything... that'll be a pain. I wish I could find my windows 98 disk. That's the only thing keeping my from formatting it right now.

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Sat May 11, 2002 5:11 am
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Morrowind seems to be getting more and more fuqued up. Now it won't even start. The little window thingy appears in the corner of the screen, then nothing happens. when I press ctrl-alt-delete, I find out it's not responding. Updated video drivers and sound card drivers. Now what, I wonder? Just reinstalled the game too. Might as well try again, make sure everything is gone this time...

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Sat May 11, 2002 5:47 am
Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

*bump*

I'm looking for a nice person to create a character for me and save as soon as possible after creation and then post the save file if possible. I figure that <i>might</i> fix my problem and let me play the game.

Name: Jord
Sex: M
Race: Nord
Appearance: Doesn't matter (brown hair, not too goofy looking, should be able to edit in construction set tho, right?)
Birth sign: Ritual
Class: Druid (made up)
Primary Skills:
- Long Blade (STR)
- Alchemy (INT)
- Conjuration (INT)
- Medium Armour (END)
- Restoration (WIL)
Secondary Skills:
- Hand to Hand (SPD)
- Speech craft (PER)
- Short Blade (SPD)
- Armourer (STR)
- Mercantile (PER)

Distribute skill points as you see fit (be nice about it tho )

I hope that's all.
Thanks in advance.

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Sun May 12, 2002 6:28 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next