View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
connorkimbro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gentleman Jim Stacy is missing.

And no, I didn't kill him.

I'm on the thieves guild quest where you talk to Precious Mercious about the corruption in the fighters guild, what with their association with the cammona tong and all. he lets you know how to get the other important people in the fighters guild to work with the thieves guild. well, he gives me info about eydis fire-eye, hrundi, and sjoring hard heart. it mentiones in my journal that the first two can be swayed, but hard heart would likely need killed. So, getting a bit presumptious, i go and kill Sjoring hard-heart on my way back to talk to Jim Stacy. Jim Stacy lets me know about the bitter cup to give to eydis fire-eye, and he says "so, ya already killed sjoring hard-heart, eh? good job!" and all that stuff, and gives me the skeleton key. then i go up to Ald'Redaynia to get the bitter cup, no problems, bring it back down, give it to eydis fire-eye, she comes to my side, and i go back to vivec to keep Jim stacy up to date and. . . huh? Jim Stacy is GONE! He's just, not there anymore, at all. Everyone else still thinks he is. I ask, they say he's in the bookstore. The other guy in the room, i ask and he says "look around, fool" like he always has. But there is no Jim Stacy in the room.

So what the hell happened to him? Did killing sjoring hard-heart make Jim stacy go away? Nobody else seems to know about it. Is it some sort of bug? is there a way to use the consol to put him back where he's supposed to be? What's the deal, anyone know?
Post Sun May 19, 2002 8:32 pm
Mir

Where did you find him first?

I can't seem to find Jim the first time around. I get the same msg that he's in a bookstore in the foriegn quarter. Was told in the other guild halls that it was Simine Fralinie's bookstore but can't find it at all just the other one.
Mir
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:27 am

FrGGr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Mir - The Bookstore is in the Canalworks level of Foreign Quarter

Hmm I had to go kill Jim Stacy as parrt of a FG quest and Hard Heart was still alive at the time, he issued the quest. It sounds like a bug of somekind I don't know how to put him in with console but I know you can do it somehow.

Finish the quest or do another one from a different TG leader then go back after they are done and see if Jim Stacy respawns.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 4:50 am
connorkimbro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've already completed all of the other quest givers quests. I've done MOST of Jim Stacy's quests too, but i had a few more to go, mostly the Bal Morager (sp?) quests. But his quests were the only one's i had left.

I think i'm pretty much out of luck though. Using the constructor set to open up the game files, i found a script that governs Jim Stacy, and here's an excerpt from it. . .

quote:
if ( GetJournalIndex TG_KillHardHeart >= 100 )
if ( CellChanged == 1 )
Disable
Return
; make him disappear when you're the Master Thief
endif
else
if ( OnDeath == 1 )
if ( doneKey == 0 )
AddItem Skeleton_key 1
; make him drop the Skeleton key if the player doesn't already have it
; can't be in his inventory, re: pickpocket, lest the player get it twice
set doneKey to 1
endif
endif
endif

Notice the one comment in there says "make him dissappear if youre the master thief" . . . i think that even though i didn't complete all the TG quests yet, killing hard-heart somehow makes the game thing that i AM the master thief, even though i'm only a Captain right now.

Hmmm, actually, maybe killing Hard-Heart fulfills all the quest requirements to make it to master thief, and i only need to get my skills up and i'll get to Master Thief. Havn't tried that yet.

Oh well, unless i want to hack him back into the game (which i don't, really) it looks like the game is supposed to work that way, in that situation. I guess i don't get to finish all the quests that there were to do for the TG. Heh. OH well.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 4:56 am
FrGGr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmmm I have had to fight 4 outta 4 Guild Leaders to take over thier postion as leader, Thieves guild was not one of them. Imperial, Fighter's, Great House Hlaalu and Mage guild leaders all said you have to kill me to take over leadership etc.. not always like that but either way they all die before you can take over. I would assume it would be that way with Thieves guild aswell. Check Hard Hearts script, I had to kill him to take over, see what his script says compared to Jim's. Plus in order to progress you have to meet the requirements before they will let you advance so I don't think you can take over leadership take Jim Stacy's position if your stats aren't upto par. If you're stats aren't high enough to Advance it will say something like you don't meet our requirements. Go try to advance from another guild leader, if they all say you need Jim to advance any further than it looks like you need to put him back in the game. GL!
Post Mon May 20, 2002 5:03 pm

There are two non-hostile ways to get Arch-mage of the Mages Guild:

1) Do all Skink's quests and (probably when master-wizard) he'll give you a letter to deliver to trebinous which asks him to stand down.

2) [Not tried, some of this might be wrong], after killing the end of game main plot character (no names as a spolier), Trebinous will give you a quest or something, and once you do it he'll stand down. Not sure on the details of that one.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 7:58 pm