FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic+Morrowind = Best RPG
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Gothic+Morrowind = Best RPG

The fantastic combat system from Gothic + the more living world from Gothic (NPCs have there own activities) + everything else from Morrowind,
then we have the best RPG. Hope this two teams can work together.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 2:39 pm

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Doubt it. Giving the 2000 MW npcs the detail of the Gothic npcs would be a MAMMOTH task. But yeah, would be pretty cool
Post Mon May 13, 2002 3:33 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Personally, I'd throw out Gothic's combat system and take the one from Blade of Darkness. So the Blade of Darkness combat system + Gothic's fun and living breathing world + whatever Morrowind can throw on top of that. Now that's a GAME!
Post Mon May 13, 2002 5:34 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

And I want to control the siltstryder myself
Post Mon May 13, 2002 7:09 pm

The combat system in Blade of Darkness and Gothic is quite similar. But yeah, Blade of Darkness combat is better. And the weapons in Gothic look damn cool.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 2:09 am

Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

the blade of darkness combat was simply the best combat in any type of game like this, can't wait for bod2 with multiplayer yay. i still don't see why no other game rpg or not has used as good combat as blade of darkness.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 3:59 am

Yea but BOD was just an adventure game that focused on combat, wasn't it? Not really an RPG.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 5:22 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

The simpler and smaller the game the more advanced small features can be. Simple as that.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 5:49 am
Rangstrom
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A few years back cprgs all but disappeared; even the gold box series dried up. Since then Fallout (which brought the genre back to life) , Torment, Baldurs Gate, Wizardry 8 and MW show up and amaze. I can't wait to see what will surprise us in the next few years. (If I can ever find more time I'm planning to give Gothic a shot.)
Post Tue May 14, 2002 3:49 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Why do so many people underestimate the huge effect Might&Magic VI had? It was WAY more important to the rpg genre as Fallout. It were MM6, and BG that did the most of the work, Fallout wasnt really that important. Not that it is not a great game, far from, bur it aint got that influence.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 3:55 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto
Why do so many people underestimate the huge effect Might&Magic VI had?

What huge effect?
*Val looks around*
I don't see any earth shattering effect.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 5:41 pm
Rymes

I gotta agree with Mephisto

I gotta agree with Mephisto. Fallout is only popular cus it has a cool theme/setting. Outside of the turned-based combat, the actual gameplay of the game sucked. Just a handful of cities with random encounters in between, no exploration factor at all.

M&M6 in my opinion revived the RPG Genre in the mid 90's. It may not of been as popular but it was definately a complete RPG for the time.

-Rymes
Post Tue May 14, 2002 7:50 pm

Rangstrom
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The great thing about Fallout is that you could role play--be a sniper, a talker or a thug--almost any approach worked. I really enjoyed might and magic 1, 2 and 3 but the later ones were too much mindless hack and slash for my taste. I played them but often felt that I was on cruise control. Kind of beating a dead horse (or a winged pegasus)

I just had a flashback to mm2: a low level party kicks in a door and finds a bunch of wimpy looking jugglers--oops back to the inn to find some more volunteers. Now that was fun.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 9:19 pm
Volitare

Regarding the Scheduling NPC for Morrowind being sweet.

Stay on the lookout for a "NPC ENHANCEMENT CAMPAIGN" Thread. I posted a thread on whether or not it was possible to give NPCs a little more 'life' and 'personality'. A guy responded that he had posted a thread regarding scheduled NPCs on the Morrowind Official Forums and the response he got was that you could do it on TES:CS but it would be a huge job.

So I gets to thinking. Although I didn't get a huge number of responses 11 posts or so, 3 or 4 of which were mine, nobody was opposed to the idea. From what I've read in the Forum's I think most would agree it would be a major immersive enhancement. So inevitably the question that had to be asked was asked,

"If everybody thinks it would be a fantastic feature and BethSoft has given us the Tools to make it a possibility why don't we, as a community, come together and do it ourselves?"

Well with that in mind I though I would just see if the community is interested in mounting this gargantuan task. Wishing for it and Whining for it are both easy things to do. But if we really, really want it and we work smart, we can surely achieve it.

My thoughts on how it can go down is this. Find volunteers who are up for the task of scheduling NPCs. Divide the world up in fragments. Depending on the number of volunteers and the number of fragments Vvardenfell will have to divided into we can either; Release a list of the unfinished Fragments and just let people do them and release them on their own time, or, if there is an ample number of volunteers, divide up the world and assign each person with a fragment.

But even speaking of those details is kind of jumping ahead of myself. We still need to see if there is any interest and whether we can find volunteers.

When I have some time, I consider mounting this Campaign myself but I encourage everyone that feels Scheduled NPCs would be a huge enhancement of the Morrowind World, try to put something together. I think this is a battle of numbers, the more people who work on it, the quicker it'll be done.

So where are you people? What do you think? Are you interested?

Volitare
Post Tue May 14, 2002 9:32 pm