Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Which are the easiest character to play?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Paladin
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
Dragon Slayer
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Magician
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

For those who are playing or already finish with more than one character, which character you think is the easiest?.

Between Paladin and Magician, personally i think magician (pure magician) is the most easy character to play.

First, it is the easiest character to handle, IMO. For people who can't handle the control in Gothic or think the close range combat too tricky, become a magician is good choice. You only need casting spells from afar, no need to worry about combat combinations, or just summoning monsters to fight while you watching & grinning.

Second, i'm able to specialize to learn spells and pump up my Mana (299 points), while almost ignoring all other stats without serious problem. I accumulated about 50-60 LP in chapter Four, and after learning all the most powerfull spells, finished all the quest that i'm able to pick up, include quest that require some dexterity and thief skills, and learned all the potion recipes, i still have extra 45 LP left before facing chapter Six. Compare to a Paladin, learning either one-handed or two handed combats you often have to waste 10 LP to get 5 skill points.

Third, magician is probably the most powerfull character in Gothic 2. Imaging the most powerfull sword in game only does 110 points of damage, while the most powerfull spells can do up to 500 magic damage. Don't forget to get the very useful "Large Fireball" spell earlier (half way through the game), which can achieve 300 points of damage, as long as you also
quickly pump up Mana. With that, your character will pretty much like carrying a rocket launcher. The "summon Skeletons" spell is no less important, since the skeleton do a lot of damage to my character when i'm Paladin. For the last Circle of Magic, get "Rain of Fire," "Breath of Death," or better still - "Wave of Death" (Mass Destruction) which can instantly kill everything that surrounding you, up to dozen of Orc Warriors, include Orc Elite and Dragon. Also with "Army of Darkness," you can summon truckload of skeletons and lead them tearing through the ranks of Orc. Heck, throw about 30 skeletons into a room with 3-4 Orc Elites and one Orc Colonel, and you can watch all the screaming, hacking and yelping. It's funny to see an Orc Elite unable to response or swing his sword because 4-5 skeletons keep pummeling him. Also, use the "Shrink monster" spell on a dragons and see how they turning and walking away from you (probably with tail between their legs too).
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:14 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well i died more with mage than with paladin with paladin i allways keeped running my Sword in hand and if i was too close to the creature i taked one swing and the creature was down i think with paladins was the easyest way
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:27 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Yes, for a Paladin above level 30 or nearing 40, i remember survived a battle with about 4 Orc warriors, but not when there is Orc Elite between them. The combination attacks from Orc Elite are deadly. But with my high level Magician, there is nothing to worry about. Either it's Orc Elite or dragons - everything will dies instantly if i want to.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:58 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

just take my word for it magicians are the hardest type of character to play in any game no matter what... and pure fighters are usually the middle where as the battle mage is the easiest...so from easiest to hardest it goes
militia/paladin
mercenary/dragon hunter
novice/magician of fire

although a high level magician is indisputeably the most powerful character type imaginable, it is also the hardest one to start off, the fighter has the drawback of not being able to use magic and end up having to use scrolls...
since there arent many copies of breath of death and wave of death scrolls laying around they are pretty much fucked in the powerful magic department... however, they get the most powerful weapons, the battle mage has the advantage of both worlds powerful weapons and kick-ass spells
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:23 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Shmaugus
just take my word for it magicians are the hardest type of character to play in any game no matter what...it is also the hardest one to start off

I always felt spell casters are harder play in most CRPGs, and never finish with those particular character, and yet after playing G2 - i think magician is easiest to play compare to Paladin, or probably other fighter type character (Dragon Slayer). At low level in G2, i don't see any clear difficullty to play Magician compare to Paladin. As Magician, you can always kill enemies from safe distant, unlike Paladin which more often than not have to fight in close range, and thus easily get killed and often need saving/reloading, plus you need more focus on tactical engagement in combat compare to Magician. On high level, it's clear magician are far more powerfull.

quote:
...the fighter... .., they get the most powerful weapons,

I don't understand how a sword that do 110 damage is more powerfull than the spells "wave of death" that does 500 damage? As a paladin, i got my most powerfull sword (after two times blessing from Innos) and most powerfull armor that wearable to Paladin, and yet i can't kill monsters as effective/fast as when i'm playing Magician.

quote:
...the battle mage has the advantage of both worlds powerful weapons and kick-ass spells

But as a battlemage you need to split the LP for both stats for the fighter and Mage, so how can compare to pure Magician that capable of specializing in magic?. It means Magician can focus on very LP to Mana, learning more spells, casting more spells, and does more damage. As i said before, i stil got 45 UNUSED LP before facing chapter Six because i already learned all the potions recipes, most powerfull and useful spells, pump up little dexterity and strength through potions, finish all quest that i can pick up, and kill all powerfull monsters.

Last edited by Remus on Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:25 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

oh yeah i forgot that there is no difference in the amount of hp between classes
and the magician at a higher level is the most powerful unless you somehow manage to master magic and weapons for a perfect battlemage
also the fighter just has the advantage of haveing the fewest things to train in
but i guess that you could say that the best player is the magician
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:32 am
Predator
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

yes most powerful sword does 110 damage but there is one thing you forget. you can do also critical damage. I think formula is Strenght+Sword's Damage. In Chapter 6 you can easily increase your str 200+ it means 200+110=310 and you don't need mana and no need to run away.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:44 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

LOL, these don't make any sense, ...People voting for Paladin just because they like Paladin better, or so far only played Paladin instead of Paladin really easier to play in G2?

quote:
Originally posted by Predator
you can do also critical damage. I think formula is Strenght+Sword's Damage. In Chapter 6 you can easily increase your str 200+ it means 200+110=310 ...

So you mean Magician has no critical damage? I am fuzzy on how the damage system works in G2. Can you offer an clear explanation? Heck, even it's true that in chapter 6 you can increase your damage to 310 points, so what?, because Magician already can cast "Large Fireball" that does 300 damage halfway through the game. And in chapter Six he does 500 damage with the most powerfull spell.

quote:
Originally posted by Predator
...you don't need mana and no need to run away.

You can't compare that; of course Paladin doesn't needs Mana as much as Magician, because they each develop their skills differently!. As on "no need to run away" - so your character never run away when playing as Paladin or Dragon Slayer in G2?, especially during lower levels? At least Magician engages in combat from afar, so he can easily escape when unsuccessful to kill his enemy. As for high level Magician, i can tell you that my Magician absolutely has no need to run. He can annihilating EVERYTHING in his spell blast radius - instantly. For Paladin, even a high level one, can he effortlessly take on 12 Orcs (including Orc Elite) at the same time?
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:55 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well the magicians are sure strong with those spells like first i played with paladins and cleaned the mines of valley from orcs so i needed to take them everytime very carefully but with a magician i throwed some fireballs and that killed 2-3 of them but still i never liked to cast spells nowhere i am more of a swordman nothing more rules than to fight with swords u get better skills and u can learn every creature tactics
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:28 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

and what difference does it make the only thing that will survive a 310 damage attack is a black troll and the dragons and those arent to common and with a fighter you dont need nearly as much lps to master all their stuff
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:01 pm