Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Controlling Attributes.... What does it mean?!?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Dorkus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Controlling Attributes.... What does it mean?!?

Each of the skills in the game has a few "Controlling Attributes"

The question is this: what does 'controlling' mean?

For example, will a low sense samurai fail to critical hit very often, even if he has a maxed critical skill? Or do senses simply speed up the process by which the critical skill 'naturally' increases?

Clarification would be in order!! I'd like to know what intelligence does before I build my high intelligence fighter!! (Close Combat is 'controlled' by intelligence)
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:38 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Per the manual pp. 9-10, the attributes are: strength, intelligence, piety, vitality, dexterity, speed and senses. The manual details what each one does, but it does not seem to be a complete list. (Ex: Senses reportedly affects your ability to critical hit, but this is not documented in the manual.) Thus your chance to critical hit would be a function of intelligence, senses, critical hit hit skill, character level (?), monster level (?), monster resistances and who knows what else. Sir-Tech has not documented the functions they use to determine probabilities such as these. Not documenting makes it more "natural" this way, as you don't about it in terms of numbers.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:25 am
Dorkus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Let me clarify the question:

Do "Controlling attributes" affect:

1.) the effectiveness of a skill

2.) the speed at which the skill improves through pratice, or

3 both?

I have a max crit strike samurai who has low senses; I'm wondering if, by improving senses, I can increase the number of critical hits (knowning full well that i can NOT help me improve my critical strike SCORE, as it's already maxed).
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:53 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

I believe that most of them only affect the effectiveness of the skill. So if you up senses, you will be more likely to get a critical hit, but your critical hit skill will not improve faster directly. Now having said that, I have 3 disclaimers:
1) I believe every time you have a critical hit, your critical hit skill improves according to some formula (not that one kill=one skill point). So that indirectly: improving senses would lead to more critical hits which would eventually lead to improved critical hit skills.
2) Note I said "most" of them originally. Piety is the exception. Piety has some special relationship to how quickly your skills improve. "More than religious faith or devotion, piety is a character's ability to concentrate his or her will on the task at hand. It therefore affects his or her ability to develop skills and learn new spells in all realms." (Manual p. 10.)
3) I didn't program the game. Nor have I made a serious attempt to reverse engineer most of it. As a former programmer, I can pick up on some of the things the programmers did to make the game work. But that's not why I play the game, and I'm not trying to figure out how they did things. So I qualify stuff with "I believe" and don't take my word on this as gospel. But it's probably close.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:08 am

I've noticed that chars with higher intelligence increase their skill scores in everything faster.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:30 am