Usergroups
Gothic I Control Scheme in Gothic II
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
def46
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I use the mouse, and I'm all for user-friendliness. Simplciity is beauty. A simplified interface does not necessarily mean dumbed down. I think PC developers have a lot to learn from console games in that field.

But anyway, to constructive comments : I shelved the games two times, until recently I tried again, except this time I read the 'survival guide' FAQ on GameFAQs.com (search for Gothic 2, PC).

Other than turning off gothic 1 controls (yada yada to each his own), and turning on potion keys (rarely used), I found that tweaking the mouse settings makes it much more responsive for '1st person view'. Those are my settings :

zmouserotation = 3.0
zsmoothmouse = 2

Sensitivity is upped so it is actually usable during fights, and smoothing is lowered so it is much more responsive in 1st person view.

The guy's settings for the controls in his 'survival guide' are similar to this:
code:

W E R
S D F

W, R : left, right attack
S, F : sidestep
E,D : forward, backward (double up with cursor up/down so you can use cursor keys on quest screen)
Space : jump

Mouse: Turn , look
Right button: Parry
Left button: action
Middle button : combat mode (or 1st person)

Other keys as you see fit
The point to use SDF instead of ASD is to have more keys around for other controls (like Q for quests).

If you wanna use keyboard only, that's fine. In some games it feels much better, I'm just pointing out a nice mouse /keyboard config. The defautl settings gave me headaches.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:45 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Think nothing of it. I've been playing different games for a very long time now, and also working for global software company, so guess these 2 experiences combined - plus personal preference - makes me feel that simplicity is the best. The more operations what one can do without using too much tools or whatever is good

I'm also the person who never really customizes the UI's and controls. I just get used to them and then use, so I don't have any preferred control mode. In G1 I used G1 controls, in G2 I used G2 ones and in G3, if it will have new controls and UI (and why not), I'll use those I think that only "customizations" I ever did do Gothic controls (1 and 2) was to make both CTRL keys do the same thing, I was annoyed that left control works, but right doesn't, or works differently

As to getting the 'real' G1 controls into G2, then, I haven't tried it, but as you already know, you'll be able to get some of that back, but perhaps not all of it.
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:58 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
Think nothing of it. I've been playing different games for a very long time now, and also working for global software company, so guess these 2 experiences combined - plus personal preference - makes me feel that simplicity is the best. The more operations what one can do without using too much tools or whatever is good

I'm also the person who never really customizes the UI's and controls. I just get used to them and then use, so I don't have any preferred control mode. In G1 I used G1 controls, in G2 I used G2 ones and in G3, if it will have new controls and UI (and why not), I'll use those I think that only "customizations" I ever did do Gothic controls (1 and 2) was to make both CTRL keys do the same thing, I was annoyed that left control works, but right doesn't, or works differently

As to getting the 'real' G1 controls into G2, then, I haven't tried it, but as you already know, you'll be able to get some of that back, but perhaps not all of it.

i do that also all the time i am allways getting used to the controls that are default in the game , there are offcorse some games where i put my favorite controls but not many
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:23 pm
Svetty
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

In my view anyone who prefers G1 controls to G2 ones (ie with mouse) probably should also be happier with a command prompt rather than a GUI
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:54 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

How about the other way around.

Is there a way to use Gothic 2 controls in Gothic ?
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:57 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Svetty
In my view anyone who prefers G1 controls to G2 ones (ie with mouse) probably should also be happier with a command prompt rather than a GUI

i actually use command prompt pretty often
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:32 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius
How about the other way around.

Is there a way to use Gothic 2 controls in Gothic ?

Hmm No
Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:29 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

What about with the Editor, is it cappable of changing the controls, in either Gothic or Gothic 2?
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:53 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@Acleacius,

quote:
What about with the Editor, is it cappable of changing the controls, in either Gothic or Gothic 2?

No, not as a function.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:53 am
MASTER
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hehehe

Good point, Whailor!
Men! How can they say the G1 controles are better than G2???
G1 control realy stiked!!!

:0

quote:
Have you then even looked into options menu? There's quite section about the controls, and possible choices are "Gothic 1 controls" and "Gothic 2 controls".

Other then that, I personally find that Gothic 2 controls are way above Gothic 1 controls. All the actions can be done with less effort, which is and should be the goal of every game. All games strive to give full functionality with easy-to-use interface and controls, and while I personally had no problems with G1 controls, they sure as heck aren't "easy-to-use" and "user friendly" and so on. If you read the reviews from the past about the game, there never was really said anything bad about the game, but controls got literally always quite bad comments. Do a search on the Net and check, can literally bet that in each article you'll read, controls are getting bashed at.

So, all in all, G2 controls were a step into the right direction and only improved the game. Of course, the unfortunate thing was that PB and JoWood left the G1 controls as default one, after installing G2, and as the experience shows, people talk and ask about things without even checking out the options, and thus G2, in quite few reviews, got also bad points. Want to know in which area? G1 controls area. Everything else was pointed out as perfect, good and very nice, but controls got beating. Too bad the reviewers didn't bother to check out the options first and try out G2 controls. And, of course, too bad PB and JoWood left that out of date control mode as a default mode.

Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:03 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Hehehe

quote:
Originally posted by MASTER
Good point, Whailor!
Men! How can they say the G1 controles are better than G2???
G1 control realy stiked!!!

:0

quote:
Have you then even looked into options menu? There's quite section about the controls, and possible choices are "Gothic 1 controls" and "Gothic 2 controls".

Other then that, I personally find that Gothic 2 controls are way above Gothic 1 controls. All the actions can be done with less effort, which is and should be the goal of every game. All games strive to give full functionality with easy-to-use interface and controls, and while I personally had no problems with G1 controls, they sure as heck aren't "easy-to-use" and "user friendly" and so on. If you read the reviews from the past about the game, there never was really said anything bad about the game, but controls got literally always quite bad comments. Do a search on the Net and check, can literally bet that in each article you'll read, controls are getting bashed at.

So, all in all, G2 controls were a step into the right direction and only improved the game. Of course, the unfortunate thing was that PB and JoWood left the G1 controls as default one, after installing G2, and as the experience shows, people talk and ask about things without even checking out the options, and thus G2, in quite few reviews, got also bad points. Want to know in which area? G1 controls area. Everything else was pointed out as perfect, good and very nice, but controls got beating. Too bad the reviewers didn't bother to check out the options first and try out G2 controls. And, of course, too bad PB and JoWood left that out of date control mode as a default mode.

whoaa keep it cool dude if u cannot drive the car then the car dosent suck right its the driver who is the faulti one i mean by that that if the controls were made in G1 like this then it is very playable and u can play with those controls 100% sure , offcorse some ppl dosent bother to learn some new ways how to play the game and then they complain about the controls , anyway i liked them very much and i like G2 controls also
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:41 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2