Hands down, a true Masterpiece!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hands down, a true Masterpiece!!!!

Everytime i play this game i'm amazed by the size of the whole world in the game, the graphics are still very cool {especially at night}the atmosphere, sometimes it's just really like a real world, so damn cool that such a unknown gamedeveloper managed to make this, this game just beats the shit outta alot of Rpg's that get 2 much credit, while all they are is OLD games, take games like FF, their cool but always the exact same thing, gothic more than deserved the rpg of the year award in a german magazine{right?} i mean, in what other game do you see such a huge world full of lifeforms doing there things, i was completely amazed when i got to play the demo for the first time...the possibilities, chosing between 3 camps, and actually having different quests on each camp .....i can call Gothic easily a true masterpiece. i hate it so damn much when i see people on gaming forums and saying the game is just garbage, they gripe about the inventory, though all it takes is some trying and in my opinion the inventory could have been much worse....i can't believe it how Gamespot turned gothic down in their review, they didn't even mention the cool features and everything....since that review i kinda lost respect 4 gamespot too, for being so blind to see a fantastic game.

Can't wait for gothic2, so anxious about all the new features, the new world....just everything..ah well..anyway...i just wanted to say this....
i guess some people of you agree with me that Gothic's just great!!!!

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:39 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Heh heh!
I totally agree with you!

(Watch the Language, pal)
Post Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:57 pm
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Hear hear

My thoughts exactly. The atmosphere and 'feel' of the world is stunning, as is its 3D freedom. It's mindboggling how they managed to do that especially considering the limitations of what we now (time flies) consider low-end PC systems.

Like many others, since Gothic came out I have played a bunch of popular RPG's - Most were entertaining and some were at various points more practical or superior, but not one of these games came even close to the Gothic experience.
As for the inventory system - yeah it's obnoxious and far from intuitive, but you get over it, it simply grows on you like the quirks of your favorite car. A Porsche (just for example) is also highly unpractical, the first Hyundai on the block will probably win the practicality contest, but all this says nothing about the overall experience. It's the same with Gothic, it just kicks the ass of all its practical -but in truth quite boring- competition, because at various points Gothic is downright brilliant.

It certainly leaves me wanting for more. Gothic2 - yes! But now imagine a huge persistent MMORPG Gothic... now that would be addictive. I don't think I would be able to leave the place anymore. [/i]
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:12 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

really you feel like that? i felt like that too , some games have a special feeling they give to you when your playing it and some others dont. When i played gothic it just all felt like a feeling when i playing it exploring the world with the music in the background the sound everything specially at night time the dark sky , the huts the fires the music the lightning it all felt wierd and real and had a cool feeling , any one understand what i mean? If i would rate gothic i give it 8 out 10 it deserves no lower.
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:21 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sorry about the swearing

Yeah, i totally understand exactly what ya'll mean, i'm glad that you all feel like that about this game as well...there's just one thing i really had high hopes for...some transportation ..i mean...play the game Zelda:TOOT on n64, the horseriding was fantastic..it would be too freaking cool to have horses in gothic too, so you can travel great distances with it, and maybe even the ability to fight while sitting on your horse, no no..even better...ALOT of horses in the game so NPCS, and enemy guards etc..can get on a horse and chase after ya....oooh that would be too great...2bad it ain't happening:(

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:46 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Ohhh Good Idea Maybe for Gothic 3
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:20 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

If nothing else, I just hope G2 gets the credit it's predecessor didnt. All of the posts in this thread are basically hitting the nail right on the head.
The Gothic world actually feels like a living breathing world.
When night time comes, most other games just drop the brightness on the screen and thats it. Gothic is the only game I've ever seen where EVERYTHING is taken into consideration (Yawning, stretching and washing their faces in the mornings, eating at lunchtime, torchlit roadways and people 'turning in' for the night at nighttime. Hell, even the MONSTERS are sleeping @ like 1am).
If for no other reason, I would wish G2 had multiplayer just so I could enjoy all this stuff with people who appreciate the finer details of this game like me.
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:34 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Gamespot's rating of G1 at 7.2 is certainly pretty low. Don't know what they said since it's locked (for subscriber only). Personally i would give the game rating at 8.0 or a little more... I usually won't buy a games that get lower rating than 8.0 from several reviewers.

I think one of the main problems of G1 is combat control & inventory system which heavily dependence of keyboard instead of more intuitive mouse. There is no easily customized shortcut/quick keys like in NWN.
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:04 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

gamespot doesnt know anything they gave nolf 2 like 9 something out of 10 what deserves a 9? its a mindless boring shooter like the first one. Any way i liked the idea of gothic with the camps joining that really made it intersting and the weapons cool swords axe's and arrow's non of this boring gun crap , i like swords and melee weapons , and the idea of getting higher ranked up in the guards different armor , i liked wearing my sword on the back and the bow just for style it looked cool. The person that said about ppl riding the horse's i guess that would be ok if they made a gothic 3 , but only use the horses to ride around and get off not fight with and no enemy's ride it that wouldnt be very gothic like. Fighting should be on the ground hand to hand.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:48 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Paul999999
gamespot doesnt know anything they gave nolf 2 like 9 something out of 10 what deserves a 9? its a mindless boring shooter like the first one...

I also like FPS games, and i think it is fair enough for Gamespot to gave 9.2 rating to NOLF2. I played both NOLF 1 & 2 and the sequel is among the best shooter games available this year. Shooter genre is always mindless anyway - and that's also where the funs coming from. If you don't like FPS games, of course you don't like mindless games.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:00 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

You guys just forced me to buy Gothic next. Thanks a lot! Seriously, Gothic must be awesome, judging from what i am hearing here. One question though: how big is the gameworld? I mean in land size? Is it as big as Morrowind? or is it at least as big as the first Baldurs Gate? thanx in advance. Gothic is my next buy for sure.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:32 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

The Gothic game world isn't as big as MW, since it confined inside a magic barrier which also a mine colony. However there is a lot of things & quests inside game world so you actually do not feel it's small.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:45 am
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

i think its about 7KM^2 gothic2 will be 25Km^2
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:42 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

i dont know how big it is , but its not small , just dont jump off the lake and go for a swim , you will get shocked to death
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:29 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
how big is the gameworld? I mean in land size? Is it as big as Morrowind? or is it at least as big as the first Baldurs Gate?

Gothic deals more in Quality than Quantity. Morrowind had miles and miles of roaming space and that game suqed (imo). While G may not be as large in square mileage, its filled with things to do and see.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:35 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next