How to tell how a battle is going?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

How to tell how a battle is going?

Am I missing something or is there absolutely no way to tell how well you are doing against a given enemy in a battle? I see no npc hit points or damage status or anything like that - no npc health bar. Thus, there is NO way I see to tell how one is doing against an opponent. This is very bad for a roleplaying experience.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:43 pm
Dark Lotus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Amen! Sometimes I wonder if I am even hitting the guy
Post Tue May 07, 2002 6:04 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, this is one of most often dislike in this game.
But some other people say, that it is more realistical this way.
I do not know, I havnt played this game yet.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 6:08 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Listen to their verbals. Toward the end they more often grunt, groan, yell, etc. They'll even run away. It would be nice to have a visual means to identify the injuries and extent of injuries of a monster/NPC, but a floating health indicator would suck.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 6:46 pm

I don't see this as a bad thing. At first I was alittle annoyed by not knowing how well i'm doing against an enemy. But after awhile I think it adds alot to the realism experience of the game. Especially when you run into something totally new...you don't know what to expect..how tough they are, ect. I think it really adds to the exploration feeling you get with this game.

Just take alittle time to get used to it. After awhile you won't miss it at all.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:25 pm

Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

While surely there is a bit of added realism to the idea of no health indicator, the idea that you would have no visual indicator of an enemy's helath after you take a 3 ft sharpened piece of steel and drive it into his/hers/its mid-section, seems a bit unrealistic as well. A visual indicator of relative health would be nice.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:51 pm
Somnus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well...

The 'no healthbar' system worked very well in Daggerfall, it just takes some getting used to. As knowledge of the npcs increase, you'll find out what gives you a hiding and what can be killed easily.
In real life, people don't have little health bars.

To find out how you're doing in a battle, here's a little checklist....
1. Is your opponent hitting like a sledgehammer? If so, go to step 5....
2. Is your opponent casting spells that eviscerate you? If so, go to step 5....
3. Can you even hit the bastard? If not, go to step 5....
5. How long can you keep going? Do you have potions etc...? If you have none, go to step 5....
4. Are you about to die? If so, go to step 5....
5. You are 'officially' up sh*t creek without a rowing implement. Run, die or load a saved game.

And there you go, have a good one.

Somnus
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:57 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hyperion has it right....

Listen to the verbal cues... humanoids for example, will taunt you more and more and more (i.e. 'You will die!') as they are closer and closer to death. It is a clear giveaway... as clear as a health bar. You just have to get used to it.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:58 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Re: Well...

quote:
Originally posted by Somnus
In real life, people don't have little health bars.

But they do bleed. Rather profusely I would imagine.

Don't tell me that in real life you don't have a visual indication of a persons health. If you think so, then you need to watch more boxing. But seriously, a Health bar would be annoying, textures placed oin the enemy model displaying injuries would be more appropriate. Particulary if those injuries pulsated and squirted blood all over the place.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:09 pm

Blood damge MOD

I been looking over the scripts and TES construction set. It's likely possible to write a MOD where the person squirts out blood. Now write a script that checks how much health the person has left, and squir some blood accodingly
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:16 pm

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Try this: Get your mouse over the monster, and type 'gethealth' at the console. Easy going huh?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:27 pm
Stompy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I like it this way

I like it without the bars. It maintains the immersiveness & makes you focus on the situation, instead of a status display. And the first time I wandered into the wilderness & saw some new creature I had never seen before I had no idea how tough it was or whether I should steer clear...until I shot it with an arrow & it gibbed (!) into three pieces. That was pretty cool, and would not have been such an experience if there was a status display floating over its head. Plus, it makes you take a good look at your advesary to size him up. Those guards with their boneshielding might only be level 2, but I'm sure not gonna mess with 'em because they look like real bada$$es. Know what I mean?

HOWEVER, it would be nice it the textures on the enemy would change, or if there were SOME sort of visual clue as to how the enemy was faring. Granted it's not that big of a deal to me because what's more important is how I'M doing. But what really stuck out in my mind about this whole argument is what happened as my character was walking back into town...I had just barely made it back with my life. My health bar was literally a sliver. As I walked past one of the townspeople, he said something along the lines of, "You should really do something about your health". Wow! Now, if the NPCs can take a look at me and determine that I'm close to death, then I should be able to do the same.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:36 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto
Try this: Get your mouse over the monster, and type 'gethealth' at the console. Easy going huh?

You shouldn't have to perform a console command. That's about the gayest thing I've heard.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:47 pm
Somnus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Bah

The gayest thing I've heard are the words in your messages Hyperion, don't get nasty in the forums please.

Watch boxing, ever seen a heavily bleeding man just *never* go down, and even ends up winning the bout? Ever seen a man who has't a scratch on him get knocked out in one punch? Even seen people in wars get shot and just keep on fighting?

These things happen all the time. Also, try adding injured textues to every character, and you're talking about quadruple the space currently used by those textures. The game wouldn't run.

As the guy/girl above said, there are lots of things that give health status away. You just need to pay attention to them.

Somnus
Post Tue May 07, 2002 9:05 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Hyperion: Console commands have no sexual preference. None. Grow up and stop using terms like that to descripe an attempt to be helpfull.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 9:19 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next