View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
The Giver
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

HELP! I'm New

Hello Everyone,

I've been playing this game for about a week. It's so large and has so many directions you can take and it seems like with each direction you will have a consequence. My immediate problem beside the fact no one EVER wants to train me is...I can't for the life of me figure out how to sneak! I thought I needed to be trained first before I could even do it. But after checking out the keyboard confrigs I saw the keys that have to be pushed to sneak and I just don't understand! the manual says "a", but the keyboard says something like a and num pad mul? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? I know what an a is and i know what the number pad is ....but what is mul? Not being trained to sneak is jacking up my pickpocket skill and lock picking also. This is only my second time playing a RPG ever...the first was Vampire ..something and it was so buggy I couldn't complete it. OH! one other thing...does this game have a patch I should download? Sorry for being such a RPG Newbie...Is it ok to kill or beat folks up in the camps? I saved the game once before I did and decided after I killed him that I would reload my game before I fought him.

One more question what does MMMRPG or whatever it is stand for?
Post Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:30 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You need to be trained to sneak. With num pad mul they probably mean the 'multiply' key. The English version comes patched so you only need one if you have Radeon trouble. Better don't kill people in camps unless they ask for it. MMORPG stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.
Post Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:59 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

or better dont kill them , just beat them up and rob them if they really asked for it. But better to leave everybody alone thats the key for no troubles
Post Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:06 pm
The Giver
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Me Again

So I'm supposed to walk around and try to sneak...which earns me exp?

What do I do to sneak...click a + multipy key? Do i click each once...

Walk me through it plz...

Thank in advance~
Post Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:43 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The sneak skill is relatively useless in Gothic. (The developer corrected this mistake in G2.) I would suggest you invest your points in primary skills instead. The game is easy if you develop your char aggressively and take your time for exploration.
Post Sun Dec 22, 2002 9:48 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehe yes indeed Gothic 1 was a little bit buggy u dont need sneaking cos if ya wanna steal someone then they never sleep they just go for a sec on the bed and stand up again the best combination how to steal was to run to the chest and open it really fast after lockpicking fast steal all the things and then really fast run away later the owner just says " u been lucky " and then u can pick another hut
Post Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:38 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You need a trainer to be trained in a skill. So if you absolutely want to learn the (definitely useless) 'sneak' skill, you need to find a person who teaches this skill. Once this person taught you how to sneak, you need to press the 'a' key to go into sneak mode.
Post Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:56 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ya but where u can use it
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:14 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

That was not the question.
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:41 am
The Giver
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmm

I was under the impression I needed to be able to sneak to learn lockpick and pickpocket at all. I frigg'n stink at picking locks...i need 20 just to open a darn chest....is there a specific combination of left and right or up clicks that work everytime? BTW I learned sneak before i got the final reply to my question...your right it sucks lol. It's kind've weird...every turn I get someones got a job for me...like a shopping list from my wife it grows every minute. There is allot of things I haven't completed yet.
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:24 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The only "useful" theiving skill in the game is lockpick. And that's just so you don't break so many lock picks. There is a post here on the forums that lists the combinations for a good deal of the chests in the game.
Train your strength. That's probably the most important skill in the game, especially if you are a fighter.
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:27 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

You can, but you shouldn't if you are playing the game for the first time, train mage skills, if you're playing for the fisrt time jsut train 1h-swords, 2-h-swords and str, as Val said. You could try to train you bow and crossbow skills but the fighter path is easier.
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:19 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ya but when u still too weak then train ur crossbow or bow skills that will help ya out really fast
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:26 pm