Too many MMORPGs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Too many MMORPGs

I am sick and tired of seeing all these MMORPGs. Enough is Enough. They do NOTHING for me. I do not want to go online and chat/game with other people. When I play a game I want to have an engrossing single player expereince.

But it seems so many developers are concentrating on this Massively Multiplayer stuff and its starting to worry me. They must see EverQuests' success and surmise that there is big market for these type games.

Anyway, please don't forget about single player gaming. Also, Co-op multiplayer is a bit better, but I still don't think it should get priority over a good single player game.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:29 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

I agree ... there are far too many coming out and most will not do well at all. I think devs and companies saw the 'monthy payment' as being something to definitely strive for but they are going to have to deliver an impressive experience to hold onto players.

There are still a few good single player games coming ...although I have to say, devs need to ditch the top down control an entire party on 2d backgrounds approach to making games. 3D environments and character models are the way to go, leave that top down crap to NWN mod makers ...
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:07 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Business is business. How many people don't like money anyway. MMORPGs now are good business model to "leech" money from it subscripters. You all know how many hours people will willing to spend when addicted to a games.

Some recent report also said that total sells of console games growing while sells on PC games dropping. But that's seasonal, it happened before. PC games sells would pick up again around 2005/2006. Who know.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:46 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
Business is business. How many people don't like money anyway. MMORPGs now are good business model to "leech" money from it subscripters. You all know how many hours people will willing to spend when addicted to a games.

You know, the other thing I realized from my post is the fact that I sort of make the implicit assumption that the groups who are making the MMORPGs would be making single player RPGs if there wasn't an MMORPG market.

All things being equal, I'm not sure this would be the case. If the business model did not good precedent, whose to say that these dev. groups would exist in the first place? Maybe they'd be making console games or not game programming at all.

Perhaps the number of single player RPGs offerings has always remained constant.

It just doesn't seem that way when soo many RPGdot announcements are about MMORPGs.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:57 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Don't worry!

Most of these MMORGS will freaking starve! When that happens the same talent will end up back on real RPG's. If a game doesn't have a demo I don't buy it anymore either unless the price is right. Way to much crap out there. I was thinking about buying Hegemonia but there are good review, bad reviews and in between. It will be in the bargain bin soon enough anyways so I'll wait. When Gothic II finally hits I will patiently wait for it to drop to the sub $40 range and have at least one patch before I jump on that wagon. As far as consoles go they still are poor when compared to a computer. My brother just got an XBox, can't say that I want to play it. Hurts my eyes you know. PC game sales might be down because of all the shit being published. Look at WarCraft III. Glad I didn't buy it. Starcraft was so much better and still is my No1 game of all time. I really wish someone would do a full port of Betrayal at Krondor to Windows as I would like to play it. Wonder if DOS will run on a modern computer? Would like to try Ultima 7 again to.
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:06 am
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

I agree that the reason game companies are interested in MMORPGs is because of the business model. A company can charge $50 (U.S.) for a game, $30 for each expansion, and about $13 per month for a subscription fee. That's a lot of money if you can get enough people to buy and play. I've seen Everquest players buying three expansion packs so that they could play as more than one character. That's got to be really expensive.
I'll be honest and point out that I have never played an MMORPG. Why? Three reasons. First, the fees, which I find excessive. I don't want to start a whole discussion about whether MMORPG fees are excessive. I PERSONALLY find them excessive; that is my opinion. The second reason I don't play is because of what I've read and seen (watching friends play) of players who revel in ruining the game for other players. If I'm in a MMORPG world that I'm paying hundreds of dollars to enjoy, I want to immerse myself in it without having to worry about player-killers ruining my fun, or being unable to acquire key items because there aren't enough to go around. I want to play RPGs with people I like and know. I'd rather play pen and paper RPGs with a group of people I know in the same room as me than spend hundreds of dollars trying to find people that I can quest with pleasurably in an online world where some of the players take pleasure in ruining the experience for other players. The third reason I don't play MMORPGs is lack of time. I do NOT want to spend a thousand hours killing monsters over and over to gain enough experience to use the next expansion pack. Boring. I don't have a thousand hours. I have about 5-10 hours per week for gaming. That's it.
The most fun I've ever had playing a video game with another person was the cooperative mode in Halo for the X-Box. We sat in the same room, with the same goals, working with each other. Occassionally, we would get frustrated by the difficulty and shoot one another (in the game), but we would have a good laugh over it and go back to the last spawn point. The fun of playing in another room with a friend or two is a difficult experience to replicate in an online MMORPG.
Speaking of the Xbox, I have Xbox live. It will be interesting to see whether the Microsoft MMORPG planned for the Xbox, True Fantasy Live, offers anything different because of the inclusion of the headset and online voice communication. I've played some Mechassault online, and its fun, but there's a lot of player-killing and people exiting games early to protect their ranks.
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:38 am