Traveller....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Traveller....

Has anyone heard any news/updates etc on the PC version of the old P & P game of Traveller ??

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:06 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Not since '99 I think. But in '99 good old Marc Miller who sold the rights went bankrupt with his fourth Edition of Traveller, anyway...
...perhaps the PC version of my favorite RPG will become another 'Prey', DN4' or 'TF2' .
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:14 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Damn !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:34 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

About 10 years ago there were two games released based on Megatraveller. There were released on the Amiga and are available on the PC too. They have basic graphics but are available through various abandonware sites. These are the only Traveller games I knew of.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:57 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I know, one of those had something to do with Zhodani... they were pretty bad IMO. But they actually planned on doing a PC version of Traveller after Miller sold his license to... ehhhh. I don't remember the name of the company but they were responsible for the incredibly bad 'Rebel Moon'. Anyway, that was in '99, and one Bethesda guy was involved as well. I never heard of the project again.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:11 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
I know, one of those had something to do with Zhodani... they were pretty bad IMO. But they actually planned on doing a PC version of Traveller after Miller sold his license to... ehhhh. I don't remember the name of the company but they were responsible for the incredibly bad 'Rebel Moon'. Anyway, that was in '99, and one Bethesda guy was involved as well. I never heard of the project again.

Now you come to mention it that does ring a bell. As for the Megatraveller games - they had their plus points - the Char gen system was interesting and you did have complete freedom to traveller to hundreds of planets - unfortunatley most of those planets where too similar however there was the occasional gem hidden in there - I still play them now, in between major releases.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:15 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Megatraveller

Would Megatraveller be available at somewhere like Underdogs as abondonware..............havent got time too search right now.....will try over the weekend.......is to DOS ?

Regards,

Hex
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:32 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

Re: Megatraveller

quote:
Originally posted by Hexmaster
Would Megatraveller be available at somewhere like Underdogs as abondonware..............havent got time too search right now.....will try over the weekend.......is to DOS ?

Regards,

Hex

Yes both Megatraveller games are available at Underdogs. And yes both are DOS games. I won't post the links here as abandonware is still a grey area - I downloaded mine from there but then I still own the originals for the Amiga (just my Amiga doesn't work anymore). I know most people don't have a problem with abandonware but I'm not gonna drag RPGdot into the debate by posting links here. Have fun trying them - you will need a program like MoSlo to make them playable though otherwise everything move a little too quickly
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:45 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Cheers Kendrik...........just started IWD2, but might have a look over the weekend.

Thanks agin'

Hex
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:57 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Of course their character generation system was good - it was exactly like in the original (p'n'p) edition .
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:18 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Of course their character generation system was good - it was exactly like in the original (p'n'p) edition .

Yeah I remember - unforunately many PnP conversions don't pull of the char gen system (such as the two Shadowrun games). The second megatraveller game had the better systems as you could choose the individual skills you wanted as oppose to a general skill title which then produced a random skill (thus you could end up with a skill rank of 1 in 3 skills instead of the rank of 3 in the 1 skill you acually wanted).
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:41 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The only Shadowrun video game I ever played was one for SNES...!
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:05 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
The only Shadowrun video game I ever played was one for SNES...!

The one for the SNES was the better of the two games (dispite the whole not being able to move whilst shooting thing). The other one was for the Sega Genesis. It was a bit more arcadey but you did have a coice of three chars to start with and it had more cyberware than the SNES game. They were two separate games with different story lines - not sure if I recommend either but as a fan of both retro games and shadowrun I felt it was my duty to play both
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 5:02 pm