Members
Usergroups
Upgrade suggestions?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Cam

Upgrade suggestions?

I ordered my copy from the States and it should get here next week! Like many others, I want to upgrade and dont have much cash. Any suggestions would be really welcome at this point.

I'm running:

Celeron 800
192 RAM
NVidia TNT2 (32mb RAM)
Gigabyte Motherboard

Between waiting for the Ti4200 or grabbing more RAM, what would you suggest? At this point I dont think I can cover a CPU upgrade.

Many thanks.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:28 am

I upgraded my Gefore 2 MX 32MB to Elsa Geforce 4 Ti4600 128MB. Wow, what a difference it made!
Post Wed May 08, 2002 12:50 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

With your system and little cash, I cannot recommend anything, really. Improving just one part of your system won't help much.

How much do you have to spend?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 12:55 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You poor, poor soul. You can upgrade to a ti200 or greater card (depedning on your spedning limit), but that CPU is really gonna kill you. Get a credit card witha low APR and charge a new computer
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:32 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
With your system and little cash, I cannot recommend anything, really. Improving just one part of your system won't help much.

How much do you have to spend?

Well, it turns out the Ti4200 will probably be out of my price range, but I MAY be able to invest in a 1gig CPU - possibly a little higher. I figure the RAM wont make much difference.

In short, I can probably afford 256 P-133 RAM, or a 1gig CPU. I'll need to replace the motherboard as well to accomodate it, which is where the cost comes in. Unfortunately.

I'm HOPING I'll get at least 10-12 fps with a lot of the options cranked down and the safedisc patch applied, and then spend the next few months blowing cash on hardware that I would have otherwisae blown on software.

What do you think? A 1gig CPU, 192mb RAM and a TNT2 card? Passable? Sort of? My system at the moment meets or exceeds the minimum in many respects.

Also, any info on how to overclock my existing CPU would be greatly appreciated. Just a few links, or whatever.

Thanks for the feedback, btw.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:05 pm

Cam

PS: That last post was from me.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:07 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

1 Ghz, 256 MB RAm and a TNT 2 should be ok, not brilliant of course, but ok.

IF you can up the memory to 512 and get a Ti 200, you would be on the VERY safe side, if you tune your system accordingly.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:18 pm

Unfortunately to get this game to run smooth you will need a new cpu and vidcard!

My 1.33@1.44(152 fsb) 640mb pc133 sdram, gf4 ti 4600 runs the game 1024x768 - 2xfsaa med on the view distance and low shadows I get 10-40 fps! I think for this system thats unacceptable!
Q3A 1280x1024x32 quin fsaa I get 120-140 fps! This game needs help! I know its a RPG but the framerates suck!
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:47 pm

Cam

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
1 Ghz, 256 MB RAm and a TNT 2 should be ok, not brilliant of course, but ok.

IF you can up the memory to 512 and get a Ti 200, you would be on the VERY safe side, if you tune your system accordingly.

By 'tune' you mean "turn off background apps and defrag", or do you mean 'overclock"?

Thanks for the help, Rendelius. I think MW is going to be something I'll have to upgrade around. It's like I'm getting married to this thing, forsaking all others, and I haven't even played a frame of it yet.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:54 pm

Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

Rendelius has it about right...

For this game to enjoy the eye candy...
1.0G CPU
256mb RAM
Geforce3 or higher ->Geforce4 (4200/4400/4600)

With your current system i'd say Geforce3 Ti200 would be your best bet before you started a complete rebuild. That way if you tried the Geforce3 card and it wasn't enough,it will go into the new system just fine, so it wouldn't be wasted money.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:20 pm