What Kind of Gamer Are You?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

What Kind of Gamer Are You?

My son (10 years old) recently discovered Warhammer 40,000. He is enjoying collecting figures and creating an army (Tyranids, for those in the know). So I stopped into a Games Workshop store to pick up some expansion figures and some paint. Trying to engage the clerk in a little conversation, I tried to discuss the various Computer/Console versions of Warhammer that I have played, which include Spacehulk on the 3DO, Rites of War, Chaos Gate and Dawn of War on the PC, and Fire Warrior on the PS2. The clerk, the very epitome of cliched geekdom (overweight, greasy, long hair, intelligent, fun to talk to) told me he only played the miniature version of Warhammer, not the PC and console versions.

This conversation got me thinking about the different types of gamers in the world. I like all kinds of games: PC, console, board, collectible miniature and pen and paper. I know there are a lot of people on this site who play PC and console games, or PC and PnP.

I like the complexity of PC, PnP and collectible miniature games. I like the ease of use and approachability of console games. Finally, I like the familiarity and sociability of board games, PnP games and collectible miniature games.

So I'm wondering, what kind of games do you play, what kinds do you like, and what do you like about each type?
Post Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:33 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

- I like single player PC games for their complexity or graphics, depending on their type (mainly adventures, action adventures, RPGs, shooters and hybrids of all these)
- I like some online PC games if I like the setting (WWII shooters mostly, I get something just out of being there and taking part because of the atmosphere). I know I'd love to play MMORPGS but I just don't have the time.
- I like console games for their stress relief factor (no configuring required), and because most are just pure fun (mainly beat'em ups, RPGs, adventures, platformers and puzzle games).
- I like PnP RPGs because they are what I consider 'real' RPGs as opposed to video game versions, because I played those since '82, because the immersion factor is incredible, and because I like gamesmastering (mainly Traveller - all editions- , WEG's Star Wars and Fading Suns... High Fantasy is not my genre).
- I like tabletop games with miniatures (like WH40k, Space Hulk, ASC, Dungeon Quest ect.) because I like to collect and paint miniatures. Apart from that I prefer to watch others play because I just don't enjoy playing PVP games... I'm gaming for fun, not to be stressed .
- I like to play some trading card games, but only sometimes - the collecting is the key factor for me here as well.
- I also like some 'regular' board games (mainly Monopoly and Ludo), because these are the only games I don't mind losing once in a while.
Post Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:10 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Well, my first preference is SP PC based RPG's I won't buy a console and I won't pay to play after buying the game, so the only online gaming I do is NWN via our own Games server. That's a Blast. Other than computer gaming, I'm a Bridge player/director.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:06 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I prefer PC games mostly. RPG and RTS are my genres of choice. I do enjoy the occasional Adventure game or mindless Internet puzzle game. I love PnP DnD, especially the role-playing aspect. The more interesting the characters, the more fun the game is.
Post Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:38 pm