Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic invincible NPCs (some minor spoils)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
unconstitutional
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm not familiar with Gothics combat system, and am really interested in how this phenomenon happens.

Sometimes, I come accross NPCs or even monsters who just dont take *any* damage from my melee weapons. Sometimes if i have time to test it, i'll notice only my arrows harm them. For example, when i was level 4 or 5 fighting the Dam Lurker, my swords never did any damage. I soon realized my regular bow harmed it and so I had to kill it by shooting and running. My melee weapon was far better then my bow too, as well as low dexterity/ high strength. So I don't know why that was so...

Then, as for NPCs, later on in the game as I'm level 11 with some nicer armor finally, I go on a rampage through the old camp's castle assassinating guards one by one. I was able to kill Skip, the weapon salesman (and got a TON of ore and nice weapons by the way) but for some reason, the other guy Stone, took NO damage from my weapon. I tried and tried many many times, I'll hear my weapon hit him but no damage is sustained.

Also, check out the regular gate guard in the gate tower (he's in the middle of that bridge right above the main gate). He has cheasy low class guard armor, simple sword, and is just named "Guard". And for some reason, he fights like he should be the Ore Baron himself. I could not damage him either, and his attacks were devastating with his simple guard sword.

I'm not really complaining, cause I love the game. I just want to know why this happens. Is it a bug? Is it by design some NPCs are totally invulnerable? Or does it have somethign to do with character level differences? I hope its not the latter, because I think it's pretty silly that I can defeat Jackal, Bullit, Cutter, Skorpio and Skip, yet the simple blacksmith wearing an apron is invulnerable to my attacks and cuts me in half with two swings, just because he's higher level. He's got alot of my ore now too!

Keep me informed!
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 5:44 am
Jaegermeister2k
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well most people are better armed against blunt weapons,then projectile wepons.That's why your bow did more damage.Ad you get stronget you will be able to kill those monsters with only 1 blow though.

As for the guard,some people in the game cannot be killed.I tried to kill that same guard,and i didn't even harm him.And i'm so strong that he couldn't harm me eather,we were kicking eachothers' ass and nothing,there are more of those guy around too. So those guys will stay alive forever probably.

Then there are guy like gomez who can only be killed after a certain point in the game.I'm not gonna say any more.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 5:50 am
unconstitutional
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ah, I wonder then if I can edit a file to make these NPCs vulnerable

I don't know why I didnt notice before, but I just saw how nice Thorus' two-handed sword is and apparently he's invulnerable to regular weapons. It's funny cause he just stands there taking hits. Yeah the hits dont do anything to him but he dosent draw a weapon or anything it's kinda funny.

I'm wondering, has anyone found out how to take away npc invulnerability via file editting?
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 6:49 am
Jaegermeister2k
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well thorus can be killed later in the game,and when i attacked him the first time every damn guy in the camp jumped at me.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 7:00 am

IN order to preserve a dedicated mass murderers chances of completing the game, any NPC important to the main quest is invincible until after his role is done.

SImple and effective. I wish other RPGs would do more of this.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 2:00 pm

unconstitutional
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:

On 2002-01-14 08:00, Anonymous wrote:
IN order to preserve a dedicated mass murderers chances of completing the game, any NPC important to the main quest is invincible until after his role is done.

SImple and effective. I wish other RPGs would do more of this.

I see, yes that is good. So somehow that gate guard is key to completing the game???
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:16 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

haha, funny

the simple tower guard fighting like the Ore Baron himself heheh
Plot-involved characters dont/wont die. They are too dedicated to seeing you destroy the barrier to fall to your steel
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 5:23 pm
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

ITs wierd though. Fletcher, Jackal and Bloodwyn are both vulnerable, and yet they have some lines to recite near the end...
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:36 pm

Not in my game they didn't.

Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 9:17 pm

Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I wish I wouldn't have animated Gorn to kill Jackal at the New Mine (I was just running around in circles to avoid fighting). For, like somewhat later after I had cleaned up the Old Camp, Bloodwyn and Fletcher suddenly became quite chummy with me again... is there any way I might avoid to do in Jackal?

Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:10 pm