View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

A few 'general' questions

Just a few general questions about the game:

• Is there anyone in the village or other place that can identify items or is it just in your abilities?

• I keep hearing people talking about character classes. I.E. theif, mage, warrior or something. I have not seen this anywhere. Is this by personal design or are there actual classes you can start as?

• I notice that with the walkthrough it really makes things more simple, but I like to go about things on my own. Are there many things that can hurt gameplay if you find or solve them first? I had an issue earlier that I had to go back and fix from a savegame. I find without the walkthrough I might do things out of order and screw it up?

• Do you have to be a certain level for the still or to picklocks or is it the patch I need? I didn't DL the patch due to earlier issues and have been running fine so far but unsure.

These are just curiosities that have come up during my gameplay and in no way inhibit me yet. But I am curious. If I could make those potions it would sure save me some $$$.

Have a great weekend!

TIA ~T
Post Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:48 pm
ToxicFrog
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1. As far as I know, it's entirely dependent upon your Object Knowledge.
2. There are no predefined classes; the class depends entirely upon how you play your character. For example, I'm a 'Mage' because I put most of my points into Magic and Ethereal Link, with some left over for Technical Skill and Object Knowledge.
3. I don't think you can mess things up by going out of order, but don't quote me on that.
4. It depends on Technical Skill (for lockpicks) or Object Knowledge (for the still). When lockpicking, listen. If your character says "Not a very successful attempt" or "I think I damaged my tools", you just need to keep trying. If you hear "Impossible" or "It's too complicated", you need more points in Technical Skill (or the key, or you need to break down the door, or find a lever, etc...). As for potions:
OK=50: Healing, Antidote, and Poison potions
OK=60: Mana potions
OK=70: Invisibility potions
You can make Antidote and Poison potions at lower levels, but I'm not sure of the exact numbers...I think it's 30 for Poison and 40 for antidote.
Hope this helps.
Post Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:50 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Messing up!

Yes, you can mess up if you kill a NPC that is needed later for a side quest. As for the order of things, just stick to the Quest Log you carry and you will do fine. Most of the side quests can be done in any order and so can going to different parts of Arx, but if your skill levels are too low you will die at the hands of your enemy. Be sure to save often and don't kill them if they don't attack you, (at least not at first.)
Post Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:20 pm