View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
tohdaed
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Bump-mapping problem using Radeon 9700 Pro

Has anyone encountered this problem?

When I enable bump-mapping the textures all take on a blurred appearance that make it seem as if my character is suffering from double vision. I'm running the game on a 2.66Ghz system w/ a Hercules ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, so it should be able to handle bump-mapping without a hitch.

Is this a known issue? Have others had this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, tohdaed

(Oh, by the way, I'm playing version 1.13 but will definately update to 1.15 if the patch includes a fix for this.)
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:24 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I recently upgraded to a Radeon 9700 Pro and have no trouble with bump-mapping in Arx. I've been using v1.15 all along though - why not try this anyway?
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:56 am
tohdaed
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I went ahead & installed the ver. 1.15 patch and it fixed another major problem I was having, but the problem with bump-mapping remains. I really have no idea what could be causing this.
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:57 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

did you make sure t upgrade to the latest catlyst version (or not... sometimes new version have more bugs than older for sakes of optimizations )
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:23 pm
Rebooter
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Bump-mapping problem using Radeon 9700 Pro

quote:
Originally posted by tohdaed
When I enable bump-mapping the textures all take on a blurred appearance that make it seem as if my character is suffering from double vision.

I get the same problem on my Radeon 8500 (using W2K Catalyst 2.3 w/ AF 1.15 Patch).
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:54 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Try catalyst 3.whatever?
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:22 am
dserk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Texture double-vision, Radeon video issues, stability issues

Arx is an excellent game, but I can't enjoy it lately....

I've had the same problem with my Radeons 7200 and 9000, but I've not been too distracted by it. The textures--at certain distances from Am Shaegar--seem to be doubled. I didn't notice any correlation between this effect and my video options, but I'm running in on an Asus K7V with VIA KX133 chipset, AMD 800 (@760Mhz) Slot A, 512Mb PC133 RAM so I may have had my options turned down anyhoo. The VIA chipsets aren't the most stable, from what I've been told, and it's very picky about what memory it will use.

Since upgrading to the 9000 (Catalyst 3.1) and patch 116a I've had more serious issues like black spaces under my cursor and under my items in my inventory. I seem to get vertically-oriented flashes during play no matter how my Direct3D Alternate Pixel Center is set. I was also getting booted to the desktop when switching areas; I had a "Ddhelp" error message or something when I get booted to desktop.

"I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe." -Arthur Dent
Post Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:44 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Bump Mapping

I couldn't use it on mine either. Made things all fuzzy and had "blackouts" as well. Just played without it. Maybe one of you with a lot more computer knowhow should send a note to the big boys and ask them. May not help with Arx's F but it might help with A2.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:43 am
dserk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Everything is [almost] fine again.

I uninstalled AF, installed AF, installed patches 115 then 116 then 116a, and I started a new game. Everything ran smoothly and glitch-free until I got the City. The guard greeted me and I walked down to the water where the old man was fishing and my system froze; I had to reset. AF was starting to lag a bit more in the City, but that always happened.

Is anybody crashing when they get to certain areas?

"I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe." -Arthur Dent
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:37 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

City Crash

I always run into freezing in the city when I first enter and hit and miss after that. It doesn't seem to matter if I walk in through the door or the cave or teleport in. I thought it was just my system loading the city too slow.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:51 pm