G3 engine
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

G3 engine

PB are presumedly shopping for a new engine to drive G3, presumedly to free up resources for content creation (which seems to imply that Piranha's programmers are also content artists).

Now there are some excellent engines on the market, but the question is, will G3 still be Gothic with any existing non-PB engine? Is there one engine that "has it all"? I'm thinking about the realistic landscape, the swordplay, the NPC scripting... etc.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:33 am
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

the engine factor

I think the engine in 3D real-time games is really an important factor. ( as it handles movement, rendering, AI, level loading ( loading time !! ), etc... : so the most important : the control feel )

So if the G3 engine is a complete rewrite, the feel of the game would be different. ( not specially better or badder ).
But I wonder why PB don't want to make Spacer evolve ( it's a great engine IMO )

My fav. engine is the Dark Engine ( some of its features are unique even 4 years later !! ) and I'm anxious to see thief 3 ( I'm happy to see they don't really use the Unreal engine )
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:25 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'm sure no engine has every feature but there are a number that have proven to be very flexible. The NDL Netimmerse engine has been used from Freedom Force to Star Trek: Bridge Commander to DAoC to Morrowind - if someone can see a common thread in the feel of Freedom Force vs Morrowind they're doing better than me. I think this illustrates that the engine will be far less important than the content when it comes to creating a genuine Gothic "feel" in G3.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:55 am
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

I'm pretty convinced that middlewares are the future. But game dev just begin to use them and there's no common achitectures for plugins so there's not so much modules... ( water, physics, etc... )
The next few years will be a strange period for gaming : no really new games, more and more details and realism, less and less PC games, more and more console games...
Disavantages : same effects and features in all games... ( maybe same feeling in engine reactions and control ??? )
Avantages : focus on textures, sound and story...

Video Game will be a mature (?) industry ( at least as mature as like the movie industry whatever it means !!! )

So what ?
Renderware for Gothic 3 !?!?!?!?!?
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:38 pm
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Well, at least I know Renderware and NetImmerse. :p I know little about the Dark Engine but since Looking Glass themselves seem to have little confidence in their own engine I would hesitate to go there. What about a PB+LGS merger and a beefed up Dark Engine?

Now what on earth is this Spacer engine/thingy???
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:18 pm
Vash The Stampede
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would suggest using the X-Ray engine, the one used for Xenus and Stalker Oblivion Lost. Both games look great with realistic vegetation and both games are a action/RPG games , so that engine would be perfect. And would be a dream see a fantasy game using Stalker engine (!!!)
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:18 pm
Vash The Stampede
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Spacer is the engine used to make Gothic and Gothic2
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:19 pm
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Spacer is the engine used to make Gothic and Gothic2

I see. Well, that certainly puts Lanael's retorical question in a different light. For me, that is. :p The answer to that question seems to be that PB are trying to focus on content creation, probably for economic reasons... engine coding is highly expensive and the programmers are probably saying that they *really really really* should start from scratch again. They always say that and most of the time they're right.

But that's only speculation.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:42 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The Spacer is a tool, not the engine.
The graphics engine is called <i>ZenGin</i>. And now guess once why many console commands start with a 'z' which seems a bit out of place.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:55 pm
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

So now Spacer has been degraded to a thingy again. This thread requires a flexible audience, that's for sure. :p

However, in English the engine name should be YenGin, because the international crowd has to type a "y" to get a "z". Geey, why not simply name it G-engine. :p
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:18 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by ghola
I know little about the Dark Engine but since Looking Glass themselves seem to have little confidence in their own engine I would hesitate to go there.

The Dark Engine is old and outdated now, and it's probably not up to the contemporary graphical standards. Thinking of it, none of the Dark Engine games did look good - not that I valued graphics too much, but it was the gameplay and concepts which made those games what they were, not the eye candy. In addition to that, today's gamers' standards are considerably higher. And after experimenting around with the Unreal/Havok engine for such a long time, the Dark Engine has become even older. Well, after the DX2/T3 designers made up their minds to write their own engine (save the editor), they might call the new one Dark Engine, too... who knows.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:00 pm
Alistair
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I was surprised too when I heard they were thinking of binning their current engine. Yes, other engines can probably cope with rendering the world, but Gothic is unique in the sophistication of its AI (I think) so they'd have to add this to whatever they picked up.

My own theory is that the Spacer and associated tools are just so irritating to use that even PB fancy something more user-friendly.

A.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:49 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
engine coding is highly expensive

Definitely.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:52 pm
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Jaz, that doesn't sound well for Looking Glass. I suppose the Dark Engine is not a very feasible option then.

Alistair, my thoughts exactly on the suitability of most existing engines.
What about the UT2003 or new DOOM engines? Bots may be the closest thing to Gothic's AI...
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:54 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
What about the UT2003 or new DOOM engines? Bots may be the closest thing to Gothic's AI...

But they are not optimized for great landscapes.. It's not all in AI..
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:12 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next