Death around every corner?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Death around every corner?

How can I get to a respectable level where I can actaully kick some orcish butt? or even mind controlled soldier butt? orcs are waiting for me around every corner and haven't a chance once my stamina runs out. Once in awhile I can find some wiz-bang item to sell for cash....but thats a rarity. So what to do? I am not sure which weapon to specialize in because there are so many weapons to choose from. A little help would be appreciated. Thanks much.
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:32 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

First - it is important for our answer to know what character are you playing.
There are easy and there are difficult characters you might choose.

Example: my magician had some problems with first 20 - 30 orcs then I leveled up in orc village form level 6 to level 16 and there is nearly no more challenge for me in whole DD.
However first several fights are really difficult and you need to run away after every dead orc (it is best to fight with orcs, because there is a lot of exp. points for killing them). My choice was one tel. pyramind near bed in Aleroth and on in inventory, everytime I had problem, I teleported away (drop and use tel. pyramid) and returned completly healed and with fool mana. It took around 4 hours to complete whole orc-village-area, but I was very strong after thsi.
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:19 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh ok....well I am playing a warrior. Not a mage due to me not being very twitchy enough to cast spells.... thief seems interesting but seems a little difficult.
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:35 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I take it you've finished the catacombs and left Aleroth and you're encountering the orcs outside the town? If you exited the catacombs into the orc camp, that will be too hard at an early stage, so go back.

So assuming you finished Aleroth and you've set off, your level will rise sufficiently as you go along. I imagine you're a fighter? Any of the obvious weapons will do; early in the game there seemed to be an abundance of axes but that will even out so choose swords or whatever suits your character. I've seen it argued that maces are the best weapon in the game but I think the Skills are more important than the particular weapon type further into the game.

Run away when you need to, use your teleport stones so you can quickly get back to a friendly place and develop a few good Skills. Poison Weapon drops Orcs very quickly but there are lots of appropriate fighter skills or perhaps Feeze if you're a mage.

Don't worry about money. Eventually you'll have more than you can ever use.

Ed: Oops - you responded about being a fighter while I typed. Don't forget to pause - you don't need to be twitchy if you pause!
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:36 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Warriors are tough to play in this game. You need to use hit and run tactics or you'll get your butt kicked.

If you are unsure what weapon to specialize in try the Augment Damage skill. It gives damage bonuses without making you pick a specific wepon to specialize in. It's a passive ability.

Stun is a great skill for a warrior, especially if you are facing mobs of monsters.

Augment Defense is also nice if you find you like to stand and fight whatever is thrown at you. It's also passive.

Poison Damage is good too if you don't want to specialize in a weapon.

Spiritual Damage is also an excellent way of boosting your damage if you don't want to specialize.

I rather liked the Death Strike ability although some may not like it because of it's low chance of occuring.

You'll want Restoration no matter what character type you play. This ability will save your life.
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:57 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, warrior is difficult choice.
So if it is really too difficult for you, you can try to either lower difficulty level or change to mage based character.
I personaly went with my mage directly or nearly directly (after bringing plants from someone to someone and after gaining second part of pyramid). At first orcs around Aleroth were really strong, but I was able to kill one or too of them and then teleport back and rest. While I did this, I leveled up extremly quickly and easily.
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:03 am