Usergroups
Bow or Crossbow?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Having completed the game once now (as a melee - gotta love the 2H weapons), I am about to try archery. I noticed that the Crossbows available are MUCH stronger than Bows - so I ask the (to me) fairly obvious question of those who may know. If Crossbows are so much more powerful, why would one use a Bow instead? I am in search of serious truth here folks!
Post Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:18 pm
Jinx
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Bows are a bit quicker I think.
Post Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:19 pm

If you look at the mechanics of the two, a bow would be quicker, and it is reflected in the game as well. A crossbow, especially a large one, normally would require that the user place his foot in the stirup and pull the bow taught with both hand until it catched. Then they would have to lay the bolt in it and then aim and fire. A sob onthe other hand could be loaded, drawn and fired in the same motion.
Post Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:22 pm

Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Yes, I know that in REAL LIFE, crossbows are much slower than bows - but is this really reflected in the game (enough to make up for the severe damage difference)?
Post Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:27 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

I'd like to ask a question whose answer might answer your question...To be able to train in crossbows do I have to first be a master of bows? This might be like 1-hand and 2-hand weapons - no one would use a 1 handed weapon, they are inferior in every regard to 2 handed weapons, well they are a little faster but not enough to make up for the huge difference in damage. The only reason you will use bows is because you have to train with them before you can train in crossbows. Maybe...can anyone confirm this?

Post Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:52 pm
lildragon
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Joey it's reflected well in the game, and when u become a master at the crossbow u start getting into the real use of the cross bow, for instance u have to kneel and shoot, thus giving more power, and it's much slower than a bow especially when a pack of Orcs start to clobber the rice shnapps outta ya
Post Mon Jan 07, 2002 7:30 pm