Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Preview @ Gamesradar
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Preview @ Gamesradar

The latest Oblivion article is a <a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/previews/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=37746&subsectionid=1594" target="_blank">preview</a> at Gamesradar. Here's a snip on factions:<blockquote><em>As is typical, you can join a guild from the off to improve your skills and exploit the perks of such an allegiance. Four of them are available: Mages, Fighter, Thieves and The Dark Brotherhood. <br> <br>Unlike Morrowind, however, the interests and quests of these factions do not overlap, meaning that it's now possible to rise through the ranks of all four independently. <br> <br>The first two are a force for good, while thieves are less morally stringent, but still honourable. <br> <br>The Dark Brotherhood, however, only offers invitations to those people who have killed an innocent; once you've committed such a murder, you'll be invited to a Brotherhood domicile, a place patrolled by undead guards and draped with paintings of the Nightmother, the matriarch who slays all of her children in the night. </em></blockquote>
Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:09 am
Twinfalls

quote:
Unlike Morrowind, however, the interests and quests of these factions do not overlap, meaning that it's now possible to rise through the ranks of all four independently.

Which begs the obvious question: What serious decisions does this game present the player with?

Furthermore, how believable can it be that a person who is the Kingpin of all Thieves, and simultaneously Chief Assassin of the region, can be welcomed into the Mages Guild without any reservation - and can become their leader as well!?

This is of course not the kind of thing any interviewer bothers asking. How Bethesda's philosophy of 'you can do anything', 'you have freedom' (but no real choices) is meant to be taking RPGs forward is beyond me.
Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:14 am

Honestly, who cares about choices? Check out those screenshots! Oblivion can be the worst CRPG in the world as far as I am concerned, the look of envy on my flatmates faces when they see Oblivion running on my machine with all details maxed is all that matters.
Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:59 pm

Twinfalls
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Which screenshots? The Russian ones - the only shots not from Bethesda? Yeah, your flatmates will say "hey, nice mods you've got for Morrowind there!"
Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:09 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Twinfalls
How Bethesda's philosophy of 'you can do anything', 'you have freedom' (but no real choices) is meant to be taking RPGs forward is beyond me.

I can certainly understand your sentiment. I liked the tension created in Morrowind when you have to undermine one guild in order to advance in another guild.

At the same time, I think you overstate the concern here... from all the information about the game available at this time, Oblivion still looks to be an excellent CRPG.
Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:10 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Honestly, who cares about choices? Check out those screenshots! Oblivion can be the worst CRPG in the world as far as I am concerned, the look of envy on my flatmates faces when they see Oblivion running on my machine with all details maxed is all that matters.

I hope you were being sarcastic.
Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:17 pm

Dhruin

quote:
quote:

I hope you were being sarcastic.

Me too.

This is the area I have seen the least sign of improvement with Oblivion, which is disappointing. I'll wait to see the final PR push and the actual game but I'd prefer much more complex factional interaction than I'm seeing. The very little dialogue I've seen so far has also been underwhelming. Take that infamous example of "setting the dog on fire" - she asks the PC to stay the night with her and he selects a rude rebuff, she responds along the lines of "there's no need to be rude" and the only choice after that is "I was only joking!".

Perhaps this isn't final (and I realise dialogue isn't the focus of TES) but what sort of roleplaying dialogue restriction is that?
Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:42 pm