MMORPGDot Feature: Star Wars Galaxies: Report #2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

MMORPGDot Feature: Star Wars Galaxies: Report #2

<P>MMORPGDot has the second monthly report on Star Wars Galaxies up. This time Ekim he is less impressed with the updates that were done this last month.<BR>Check it out <a href="/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=724">here</A>.</P>
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:53 am
methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

This seems to be the trend these days.Release unfinished,poorly thought-out projects and then try to fix things, which should of been done before release,while people are trying to play the thing.The same procedure is in effect over at AC2.It just amazes me how ekim can continue to defend such practises as the growing pains of all mmorpgs let alone keep paying for the privelage of this abuse.Masochistic I guess.I've played alot of mmorpgs and I don't remember one that was ever getting nerfed as bad as the two afore mentioned ones.Don't these people playing these games realize that they are undermining what little power the consumer has by swallowing every little afront and whim of the makers of this crap.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:17 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by methusala
It just amazes me how ekim can continue to defend such practises as the growing pains of all mmorpgs let alone keep paying for the privelage of this abuse.Masochistic I guess.

Hmm... I'm not sure how you think I am "defending" these practices, as you put it. Since writing the review, I have always, in each report, mentioned that people should stay away until certain elements are implemented, which will be a clearer sign that the game is ready. I don't defend anyone's practices, I don't even agree with a developer coming out with an incomplete product. But the fact remains that an incomplete product can still be enjoyed as it is. If you want to dispute that, fine.

But I won't defend SWG (or any other game) for having flaws. What I defend is my own opinion, not the game, or the "practices" of any developer. They can do that on their own.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:27 pm
methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

You say you don't defend their practises? You say people should stay away until the game is complete at the same time saying a incomplete game is enjoyable.Which is it?I remember back when SWG first came out and it sure sounded to me that you were indeed defending this incomplete game.It dosen't matter,if you and 14 million other SW fans like this sort of treatment,who am I to deny you that pleasure.Enjoy!
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:18 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Not everything incomplete is enjoyable, but I do enjoy playing SWG, and so do a lot of people in-game.

Now, is saying that I enjoy SWG means that I am defending it? No, it's stating an opinion. There's a huge difference between defending a game, and expressing your opinion towards it. I never went out of my way to try and convince anyone here that they should play the game, or actually try to justify its quality. I did post a lot of answers to people that seem to have a grudge against a game they don't play, and who actually insult those who do...

I really don't get how anyone would think I am defending the game... I defend myself. The problem is that most of those who post about SWG and don't like the game (for any reason at all) are being sarcastic and, let's say it, unpleasant towards those who do! I am defending my own right to like a game that you don't!

If I defended SWG so much, then why is it that every time someone here on the MMORPG forums calls for suggestions about MMORPGs they should try I never, not once, recommended SWG? If I defended the game so much, then why do I keep insisting that people should stay away until they get some much needed fixes done? Does it mean I should hate the game for all that? No, I just want to avoid other gamers going through some frustrations, as SWG's current players often go through... But being frustrated doesn't mean that you hate the game. Actually, the current player base, for the most part, stick with SWG through the bumpy road because they love the game so much, and they have faith that it will have its rewards after those hard times.

I asked it before, and I'll ask it again: why is it that those who seem to enjoy SWG are considered morons by those who don't?! I've never seen it done to this degree!
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:19 pm
methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I never called you a moron and I think for someone as sure as you pretend to be about your stance....you protest too much.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:58 am
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

After 1 months of beta and 1 or 2 months of release (can't remember exactly, yes I know I'm horrible with dates) I've taken a break from SWG and cancelled my account. I'am an experienced mmorpg'er but I feel it wasn't worth my 15$ each month in the state the game is now.
Main reasons are:
That I've experienced way too much and too long downtimes. 3-5 hours a day is normal eventhough they always say it's like 1 hour. In reality it's not.
While this is accepteble for a beta it certainly is not for a released game.
Lots of things are still broken and said to be fixed while in reality they're not. (like pet AI for example. that ticked me off big time personally)

There are more unfinished things, like whole professions that don't work, but that didn't bothered me that much. I just stayed away from those. But still, it's not supposed to happen upon release but sadly the hard reality of mmorpg's.

I'm gonna keep following any reviews that come out and depending on what they say Í will make my way back to SWG in a few months.

On a sidenote: I don't feel Ekim is defending anything. In my view he's summorizing pretty well the current state of the game. I always enjoy his articles. They're well written and a pleasure to read. So I don't feel he is taking any sides to be honest. Actually he's pretty straight forward with the pro's and cons concering SWG.

My 2 credits
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:59 am
EXT2

"Methinks he doth protest too much" is a very poor way to win a debate. My impression of Ekim's updates are that if you're not playing, don't play without seriously thinking about it... and if you are playing be ready to supply your own fun because the bugs are downright laughable.

The game IS fun if you meet good people to have fun with. It's not fun right now if you just jump in and don't.

Which is a damned shame because I like to solo as much as I like to group.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:09 pm

Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by methusala
I never called you a moron and I think for someone as sure as you pretend to be about your stance....you protest too much.

Well, no, you didn't call me, or anyone else, a moron, but I often feel that I am being treated like a moron though. Again, I am defending my own opinions, so yes I'm protesting. I won't go further into this anymore though. Not much worth it...

Thanks for the good feedback as well!
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:03 pm