Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Which rpg/mmrpg manifested your favorite wizard/necromancer?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Which rpg/mmrpg manifested your favorite wizard/necromancer?

I thought arx and morrowind had badass wizards. The ligtning in both rox.
Post Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:15 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Try the BG series. Some real toughies there. Irenicus anyone?!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:38 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Really? I played NWN and had a sorcerer there. Very powerful and awesome magical effects. Do the Baldur's Gate series have better and more uber spells for their wizards?
Post Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:54 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I rather liked the summon dragon spell in Challenge of the Five Realms.... otherwise my favorite wizard would be from Arcanum. And yea...Challenge of the Five Realms was an old game no one heard about that I rather liked despite its archaic graphics. That was the first game I ever got to use a sound card on....great sound effects for its time. Before that I was using the regular clicks and beeps from the comp and other terribley generated sounds.
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:03 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Corwin, I'm with you on this one. Irenicus was o tough bad one indeed. From the very beginning it felt like he is very dangerous. Sarevok (although not wizard himself) looked simply pathetic in the shadow of Irenicus' magic

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:15 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I've never played a Wizard/Necromancer in a RPG 'coz it's just too dammed hard to figure out how cast spells - except for Arx, where you drew the symbol in the air (even I could understand that one ), or where you can cast from a scrole. But the spell book, and learning and sleeping to memorize spells is all very confusing. Plus, I can't figure out how, you can be a wiz/necro and live - I mean, at the beginning you're just too darned weak to survive on anything but weapons, surely. And by then it's too late, you may as well just be a fighter - it makes no difference to the game anyway, what character you play.
Personally, I'd like to see an RPG that gave xp not just for fighting - yes I know you get xp for doing fed-ex questettes, but there should be more to it than that. I get bored with nothing but hack n' slash being the be all and end all of a game. I'd also like to see a game that differs depending on what kind of character you play, and I don't mean good/evil - but, really, even that doesn't have much of an impact on a game.
It doesn't seem make a jot of difference what type of character you play - as long as you're killing things - and that's not what makes a good game as far as I'm concerned.
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:10 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I liked the necromancer in Diablo2, he was a nice one; as for wizards... hm, my favorite spell-caster in a CRPG was Luther in LoL2. Especially when he was on mandrake .
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:26 pm
lestat14
Tremere Vampire

I also liked the necromancer from D2....the sorceress from the same game was also very powerful in later lvls.....right now i am playing a wizard in nwn based on Raistlin Majere from the dragonlance books....
Lestat
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:37 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I like playing a wizard in Daggerfall because of all the custom spells that can made.
LB
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:54 pm
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Sherrin

Personally, I'd like to see an RPG that gave xp not just for fighting - yes I know you get xp for doing fed-ex questettes, but there should be more to it than that. I get bored with nothing but hack n' slash being the be all and end all of a game. I'd also like to see a game that differs depending on what kind of character you play, and I don't mean good/evil - but, really, even that doesn't have much of an impact on a game.
It doesn't seem make a jot of difference what type of character you play - as long as you're killing things - and that's not what makes a good game as far as I'm concerned.

Well, the Elder Scrolls games (Daggerfall and Morrowind at least, I haven't played the others) make that option available. They use skills based development, so your character goes up levels by using it's particular skills. Your thief character will improve more in a cave by sneaking by, or jumping over, bad guys than he will by walking up to them and beating them with a club. Or when faced with a locked door, the system is designed to improve your thief if he picks the lock, improve your mage if he casts a spell to unlock it, and allow your fighter to use his strength to just bash the door down (in Daggerfall).
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:13 pm
lestat14
Tremere Vampire

you can creat custom spells in morrowind using spell components you already know.....
Lestat
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:13 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I have all the Elder Scrolls, but I must admit I've not played alot of Arena or Daggerfall - the 'blockyness' gets to me (haven't we been spoiled ), but Morrowind did do that to a certain extent, yes, especially in your Guild. Looks like I'll have to go back to Daggerfall and keep at it, lol.
Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:26 pm