Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What level were you when you completed the game.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

What level were you when you completed the game.

I think I am getting near the end of the game now. I am in the Sea Caves and my tank is level 21. (Don't forget, I boasted my stats early in the game)
Post Fri May 10, 2002 8:52 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The Rapax castle is roughly 3/4 thru the game. I use that as a reference since everyone does that part of the game around the same time. If you're doing things in the "usual" order, you've got a ways to go, my friend. So much story to see, so many critters to kill.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 12:07 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I think I ended with characters around level 30.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 11:50 am

I've had finishes from (average) L21 to 35, i also have one group i'm gonna raise to 50 just because...
Post Sat May 11, 2002 9:40 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

...because what?

Post Sat May 11, 2002 11:32 pm

As a character-builder freak, that's the only limit this game puts on skill-building. In W-7, you could class-rotate until you had 100 in every skill, just from level-up points. Can't do that here, so the challenge is, how high can you build EVERY skill? Sort of a patience-tester; if you have enough fights it only takes one level as a ninja to get 100 Crit... (etc). They just keep getting more HP, too...and Mana... Sorry, it's rather an obsession.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 8:03 pm

Ah only 3/4 through am I, and I stopped progressing just because I thought I was almost done (have all three spheres and have a clear path to ascention peak), and I don't have another game to play right now, so I was putting off beating it and just running about killing monsters for sake of building my characters, since I have a hard time replaying games when I know the story already (I did the quests from both the T'Rang and the Umpani untill the point where I had to do stuff directly to the other side so there wouldn't be much new stuff for me the second time around). Thanks for the info I can go home and play the story for a bit now...
Post Tue May 14, 2002 8:14 pm

Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm at Ascension Peak right now - and not to spoil anything Max, I'll just say it's a whole big level unto itself. It's not that you just get there and have your ending.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 11:47 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Ended the game with hybrids and bishop at level 22, and Gadgeteer and Mage at level 23. Saxx and RFS-81 were at level 20-21, methinks...

How could you end at Level 35? Insane I say!

- Wind
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:25 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'd guess the level 35 finish was a smaller party. Remember, since you carried 2 RPCs, your party members ended up with x/8 instead of x/6 in experience points for every battle. That makes a pretty big difference over an entire game. Imagine the difference for the folks that play a solo faerie ninja- that's x/1!!
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:44 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Windwalking
How could you end at Level 35? Insane I say!

I played whole game without RPC and enden with characters around level 30. There is really difference between parties with 6 and with 8 members.
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:59 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

My first party finished at level 24, I had Vi with me most of the time, including the endgame. Whenever I could, I had a party of 8 instead of 6, but the 8th member varied. My favorite 8th was the samurai whose name I can't remember now.

Besides numbers of characters, I believe there are 2 other major factors: 1) The number of optional quests done. First time through, I missed the easter egg dungeons, never did the unite the T'Rang/Umpani quests, and never went into the wilderness where the Rapax were holding the prisoners. I'd bet this cost my party at least 2 experience levels. 2) Party composition - pure classes v. hybrids. My second party overall is weaker magically but stronger fighting than my first party was at this same point (level 12). Long term, I will have a stronger magic party but it will require extra levelling because I'm using more hybrids. Accordingly, I expect I will be finishing with maybe level 30 characters because I plan on doing the optional stuff I missed first time through, and will want the extra levels to have my characters at full capabilities.

One other minor factor: imported parties. If you characters are starting off at level 5, then you've got that much more experience for nothing. And you will probably be higher levels when you hit certain points in the game. (Ex: entering Trynton, my first party IIRC was about level 12-13, my second party was level 10.)
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:31 pm
otter
One of Us

Yah, my first 5 finishes were imports, they stayed around 2 levels ahead of the ones i made new. Duos usually get well over 30, triads around 30; this makes character development a lot more interesting, as well as important. The biggest difference comes in around 5 chars, it's a lot harder to get even 3 Bonus Skills. But then again, with 5 or more your total whacks per round is noticably higher...
I pushed one group of 6 through at 19, that's my 'youngest' finish. I gave up on trying for Level Fifty, only got to 40. It was 3 Fighters who had variously been: Bard and Ninja, Bishop and Psionic, Ranger and Alchemist. (getting from 35 to 40 was so interminable, i decided 40-50 could go without me.)
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 11:07 pm