Is there a way to take screenshots?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

Is there a way to take screenshots?

Yes, I'm trying to get in the habit of reviewing games on my site. In order to do that I need screenshots!

A while back I downloaded this $35 software called Hypersnap DX. It has hotkeys you can use to take screenshots of anything. It can also take over the Print Screen key, if you tell it to.

Somehow Wizardry 8 disables it, so I can't take screenshots...

Does anybody know if there is some sort of command line I can use to keep it from doing that?

Or better yet, have I missed something in the manual that tells me how to take screenshots?
Post Tue May 14, 2002 11:24 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

1) normal printscreen + paste in some graphics program worked for me
2) HyperSnap DX works for me without problems, I was even able to take screenshots of "loading screens" with it
Post Tue May 14, 2002 11:59 am
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

That PrintScreen+Paste thing is the only way I can do it (I never knew about that, thanks!).

Hypersnap doesn't work with it. I have the DirectX/OpenGl special capture enabled, I have 'Handle Print Screen Key' enabled. I've restarted. It works in other games.

I'd like to know how you got it to work. It sucks Alt+Tab-ing to save a screenshot!
Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:24 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I did nothing special to make it work with Wizardry. I just installed it, I didnt change any setting. I usually use print-screen key with HyperSnap.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 6:02 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

The manual documents that pressing the print screen key will save a JPEG of your screen into your Wizardry8 folder. No other programs are needed. I tried it out once, and it worked fine. I don't remember which folder it was in, but if you start off at the top of the Wizardry8 installation and work down, you'll find it.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:15 pm
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

HEY!!! You're right!!! I have about 150 jpegs in there! Most are of the same picture!

I thank you very very much!
Post Wed May 15, 2002 11:35 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

You're very welcome. Since you have some screenshots, may I suggest posting the folder name so that other people can find it.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 1:05 am
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

Erm....

It was so simple, that I felt that wasn't nessecary.

It's inside the 'Wizardry 8' folder

No deeper than that. Sitting along, drinking coffee with the DLL files.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 11:35 am
UnholyTrinity
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Paint Shop Pro works for me, it works with just about everything. It's a bit more pricey than Hypersnap, but the pic browsing and conversion facilities are well worth it. Hypersnap is about as basic as you can get.
Post Fri May 17, 2002 4:15 am
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

Pic 'Browsing'?

Lol! I use Irfanview for that! And it was free!

I'm not into making my own pics/modifying/etc, so Paintshop Pro (as well as Photoshop) would be wasted space on my hard drive.
Post Sat May 18, 2002 4:50 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

The screenshots saved by Wiz 8 directly (I don't know about those taken by other utilities), are in your basic JPEG format. Any paint program (including Paint which almost certainly came with your PC) will open them up for viewing purposes.

Footnote: About 10 years ago, people where I used to work referred to Microsoft's Paint program as "BugPaint" because it was so unreliable for drawing purposes, and I still tend to call it that. But even the BugPaint that Microsoft throws in for "free" as an accessory will open these pics for viewing purposes.
Post Sun May 19, 2002 5:06 am
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, what irfanview does, is when you have a bunch of pics in a folder, it has two arrows at the top of it. One forward and one back. You can look through all of your pics by clicking on them. VERY good utility. It even does screen capture (but doesn't work in Direct 3D or Open GL apps).

http://www.irfanview.com/

It's freeware.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:04 pm
UnholyTrinity
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Crawdaddy, I review PC games for a living. The reason I recommended PC Pro is it captures just about every game on the market, and you had already mentioned you wanted to take screen shots for your site. Hypersnap does not grab many of the games I have played. Also, a lot of games with built in screen grabbers will save in tiff format which will be too big for your purposes. Multiple conversions to a smaller format (such as jpg) are a piece of cake with Paint Shop Pro. Anyways, it was just a suggestion.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:31 pm