View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Anyone played ZanZarah?

What a sweet game. Check url: ZanZarah.

The whole setting is sweet, totally unordinary to modern computer games. There is no real violence in this game and yet this game can be counted as a lightweight CRPG.

Every battle against someone is fought using the fairies you have collected (you can control up to five fairies at one time if I remember right, there are over 60 different types of them available). And each of the fairy has their unique abilities, spells and such. The main character does not gain levels at all in this game, the fairies do. They develop in levels, gain spells, health and power etc.

It gives me a huge addiction when collecting the fairies, developing their skills and spells.

A sweet game and it really got this 29 year old man addicted...

Good graphics too.
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:49 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I didn't see it linked on the official webpage so here are links to the German and English demos.

English

German

I haven't downloaded either of these though the game looks interesting.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:23 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

My first reaction towards this game was "Eww, so cute I can puke right away" but once I tried it for few minutes, I was hooked.

Absolutely wonderful piece of work. Something totally original. Stands out from the gray mass that current games tend to be...

Try it!
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:40 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

How does it differ from The Longest Journey? (young girl that has the power to go between the world of science and the world of magic and save them both...)
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:23 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Zanzarah got good reviews in Germany (~75%). It seems to be a really weird mix between rpg, adventure, shooter and Pokemon. The fans on the official boards are very enthusiastic about it.

Now for the bad news:
Funatics Development (Zanzarah, Cultures 2) closes shops tomorrow.
They are, like Piranha Bytes, a daughter of Phenomedia AG, who had to declare themselves bankrupt after massive balance manipulations (40% of the turnover!) were discovered. Funatics had the bad luck that both their titles went gold when the mother company had to cut costs.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:24 am
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

@MoonDragon

TLJ was more or less pure adventure (and very good one). Zanzarah (I only tried demo) is like combination of 3rd person rpg with fast and furious arena fairy fights, somehow comparable to q3 railgun fights on steroids
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:03 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Aye, all the fights are fought on a arena that is quite different for each fairy type you confront.

They are small arenas with different types of obstackles etc. Fairies bash each other with different style of spells.

The player can collect a set of 5 different fairies to control (only one can be used at a time during fights, but you can switch between them). Each fairy has their own strengths and weaknesses. And after the battle, the fairies gain experience and possibly levels and more power.

The collecting is what made me addicted with this... It's like Arcomage in M&M series of games, that got me addicted too
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:14 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

I'm currently playing it and it's fun!
It's amazing how large the world looks, especially in the mountains. And yes, everything is sooooo adorable!

By the way, Xan, where are you right now in Zan?
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:32 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

This game got 40% in the latest swedish PC Gamer. They said it was like crap, and "don't buy"...
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:45 am
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Maybe they were prepared for another "super-hardcore" rpg When I have more time I'll defintely try full game. And main character is soooo sweet
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:15 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

zanZarah might be fun to play.
Maybe i play it later if i ever got time for that game.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:25 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Rawis, that is why I never ever base my buying decision on any CRPG game review, ever. I am a long time gamer, since my very first computer during around 1981. I've played almost every RPG game there is and I LIKED THIS ONE. I can not state that ZanZarah is a pure CRPG, it is a console RPG. But it is *FUN*, and that is why I play games: FOR FUN!

I don't give a rats piss if some review bashes a game... It has ben proven so many times that I often like games that some official reviewer in some nice magazine does not like.

So, test the demo before you decide.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:17 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by Xanaki
Rawis, that is why I never ever base my buying decision on any CRPG game review, ever. I am a long time gamer, since my very first computer during around 1981. I've played almost every RPG game there is and I LIKED THIS ONE. I can not state that ZanZarah is a pure CRPG, it is a console RPG. But it is *FUN*, and that is why I play games: FOR FUN!

I don't give a rats piss if some review bashes a game... It has ben proven so many times that I often like games that some official reviewer in some nice magazine does not like.

So, test the demo before you decide.

Well, i tested the demo some weeks ago. And I trust PC Gamer. lol
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:48 pm
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah, I just downloaded the demo for Zanzarah a day or so ago. I'd heard absoloutely nothing about it, but I was browsing through demos at 3dgamers.com, stumbled upon it, and picked it up. All I can say is, within the first five minutes of playing it, I decided to put my copy of Morrowind up on eBay (which I got a little less than a week ago) so I can afford to pick this baby up! It looks amazingly sweet. Incredible graphics! Such a vivid palette of color to which in my mind Morrowind can't compare. Trippy little battle scenes, and great NPCs! And it feels so full of life, a quality that didn't ring true in Morrowind, in my mind. It (Morrowind) felt hollow, and I couldn't see what I was achieving in running around this admittedly enormous and extremely well-developed land. Zanzarah, on the other hand ... I couldn't care less what PC Gamer says (though I do subscribe to them), it just felt right and ... Heck, I gotta stop rambling and go play it some more!
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:51 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Zanzarah?

i had seen it somewhere, but since there's tons of real CRPGs coming this year - i'll go for them first
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:45 pm