FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The leveling is so stupid
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

The leveling is so stupid

If i stand and cast the spell into NOTHING it gets better. When I am not hurt and cast heal I get stronger. IF I run in a circle and jump up and down I get better at it. There is no skill here. You do not even need monsters to help you level up. THis makes the game nothing more than time. Mre time you spend pressing e then e then e the better you get.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 4:20 am

Nasarius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The whole point of the game is to allow you to play it how you want. If you want to play it as a lame macroer, go right ahead, but don't bitch about how it's boring; you chose to play that way.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 4:21 am
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

This is the truth, but not the whole thruth.

If i decide to be a full born mage, an arkmagister without comparison - one that all other apprentices will look upon and shiver in fear and awe? Will i be a muscular character? Not likely. How will i get there? Hmmmm. Maybe by being in a small room practicing magic? Would that sound right? If i want my fysics up once and a while i jump around the mages guild to get the blood flowin' , and if i get stronger at the same time - is that unrealistic & out of context?

Dear noname:
There is a reason you can play this game the way you want, and if you cant - you have the editor.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 4:27 am
CarcusRex

Well said, Lord_lsd.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 4:34 am

What im saying is do you guys stand and cast fire a bunch of times then rest then repeat. USually I go kill mosters to level up but here i just look at the ground and cast. Not much fun.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 4:43 am

Nasarius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Guest - go read my post again.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 4:50 am
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Yes, go and read the post Nasarius made, it quite clearly explains what you are doing wrong. If however you still feel the need to complain on how this game sucks - please forward those opinions to the official Morrowind forum, fount at www.morrowind.com have a nice day.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 5:26 am
Wabbit

There's no point in just standing around casting Resoration (healing) spells, because that skill will go up just fine by healing yourself while adventuring. If I have a magic school that has lagged really behind others, I will spend a couple game days practicing before I try to use it on a real monster that wants to eat me. I agree that if in real life I was a mage I would practice in private a long ass time before I took my scrawny ass into a tomb to fight ghosts and zombies.

You can also just pay some money to level up a skill. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, the system can be abused but the point of the game is to have fun, and the fun thing is going out in the world and adventuring.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 5:30 am

LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Wabbit:

Wich of us two is abusing the system of role playing?

Me: sit in a damp tower room , rats for dinner if lucky, reading books & training my restoration (for example).

You: buying training, and saying that camping in a room and casting some spell over and over is pointless.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 5:46 am
azombie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I guess the problem with your argument is that YES, pressing e and jumping over and over could potentially give you a level 20 player with lots of hitpoints, however, if that is all you did to get to that level you are not going to have much of an offensive punch now are you with an 80 acrobatics and 10 long blade you are going to get beat down no matter how many hit points you have.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 6:27 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

The leveling system in this game is far the best I've seen in any games. You actually do not need to kill gazillions of monsters to level up few levels.

In here you actually do not have to kill *anything* to level up if you dont want to. Just use practise your skills.

Of course it's not perfect way in this game, but no system is perfect.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 7:49 am
Wabbit

quote:
Originally posted by LORD_LSD
Wabbit:

Wich of us two is abusing the system of role playing?

Me: sit in a damp tower room , rats for dinner if lucky, reading books & training my restoration (for example).

You: buying training, and saying that camping in a room and casting some spell over and over is pointless.

Um, (tries not to be snippy) if you READ my post you would see that I advocate practicing spellcasting in private, it is in fact what I do and what I would do in real life. I only said that IMO Restoration is one school that does fine without it since you do more than enough healing all the time, I usually find myself practicing Illusion. In any case, I only brought up training to illustrate the point that for the original poster who feels that practicing "on nothing" is silly, there is also training.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 10:26 am

Lestat

What bothers me the most is that the leveling system is built in a way that if you don't either take a lot of time figuring statistics and being anal, or are lucky, you can end up with a character that's a wuss. I did that, and a lot others did too. I only get x2 modifiers most of the time, because the skills i'm any good at give bonuses to different stats. Sure, it's realistic, but also annoying because you end up with a character that has to be much higher level to complete any quests. It's not fun when your level7 mage gets his butt kicked on a regular basis, because he has no hitpoints, and not really any stats to speak of.
When you design the character you more or less get a huge advantage from only taking strength based skills, f.x. because each time you level you get x5 modifiers, and you level faster too. Only the primary and secondary skills are in many cases usefull. I have conjuring as a misc skill, but to level, i have to cast spells that fail like 94% of the time, so it takes forever to ever get any better. That skill is essentially useless. And some skills like enchantement have really costly components, so if you ruin the spell, it's pretty expensive.

L.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 10:40 am

Wabbit

Hey, is that Lestat from Ars? (if not just ignore me k thanx)

That point is definitely true although it takes a little while to learn any system, I'm sure the first D&D character we all rolled up was not totally optimized to the gills either.

I figured out how things worked very anally right after I started, now I can relax - as my character gets closer to levelling, I look at how I am doing. If I want more of a END bonus, I do my next mission in full Medium (or almost full) armor, and use my spear. If the INT is not going to get the bonus I want, I take a few moments to brew up a bunch of potions. If STR is needed, I go get some training in Armorer or give some people the beat down with an axe or 2 handed sword for awhile. And this is with a magic concentration Breton with majors in Enchanting Mercantile Speechcraft Alchemy and Security. It actually gives the game a lot more variety.

If I miss out on a few bonus points or waste a couple skill levels I know it, but it doesn't really bother me much. Hit Points, though. The only way to build END to get hit points it to wear Medium or Heavy armor or spear fight. That is a little limited, esp if you dont like wearing armor. Luckily I like to spear fight, and I don't mind always wearing a few pieces of bonemold under my robe. Otherwise it would definitely be a problem.

Sorry for the longwinded response.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 10:48 am

Kane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree

quote:
Originally posted by Xanaki
The leveling system in this game is far the best I've seen in any games. You actually do not need to kill gazillions of monsters to level up few levels.

In here you actually do not have to kill *anything* to level up if you dont want to. Just use practise your skills.

Of course it's not perfect way in this game, but no system is perfect.

I agree. The system is realistic, and IMHO this IS a perfect system for those of us that like to roleplay. We will not 'abuse' the system because we know we'll have a lot more fun doing it the right way. Unfortunately there are other more immature little children that do not understand the concept of making the game yours to enjoy, and just try and do everything the easiest way, so that they can go to LANs and say "L00k at my Uber-ch@r@cter d00dz!!11".

I pity them. Shame. Retards.

Fot the rest of us, this game r0x0rz.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 11:42 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next