Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Another nail in the coffin of Heavy Guard Armor...CRAP!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I really wanted that armor and have been reading all the posts about it. I hoped against hope that there'd be a way to get it, but I am now 100% sure this is NOT a bug and we were NEVER MEANT to get it without cheating.
I was reading the Gothic dialogue "script" in the game directory, and thought I'd see if there was any confirmation statement that Stone would give if you COULD buy the armor (Like "hey champ, here's your fancy new armor! you earned it! high five!") or something, and there is NO SUCH STATEMENT IN THE SCRIPT. The only thing he will ever say is that thing about the upper clas of guards, blah blah blah.
So there you have it. It's no bug, no accidental omission of the developers, and no question for me any longer. You simply CANNOT get that armor, EVER, PERIOD. IT WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE. This SUCKS and it is the only real thing I HATE about Gothic.
So Piranha Bytes, I love your game and have enjoyed it immensely, but if you never patch ANOTHER THING, will you PLEASE release a patch that lets the player get Heavy Guard Armor without cheating? PLEASE!
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 6:49 am
GuNz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why do you want that armor...just get the Minecrawler plates to wolf and he gets you the best armor....it has over 80 defence.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 6:55 am
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I want it because it's the coolest-looking set of armor in the game. That full plate metal...that shine...that dragon's head on the breastplate...IT LOOKS GREAT! Why should the player not be able to get it? Even though you have to turn against the Old Camp, you could still wear if for a good while as though to flaunt your traitorous ways or something.
And you like minecrawler armor? Blech! It looks like armor made of pieces of birchbark held together with twine! UGHHHH! =(
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:00 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Robe of the Dark Arts...

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:04 pm
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

Did you ever look at the Box when you bought Gothic?

The guy has BLUE heavy guard's armor?!

...And the mercenary's armor was all fur, and no plate...

Were these trashed? Or is there a L33t way of getting these things!

[ This Message was edited by: Baalcipher on 2002-01-02 10:58 ]
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:57 pm
GuNz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I don't think thats a merc. I think its a rogue.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:56 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's real simple people...

You have to be in chapter 4 and be at least level 20 to attain the heavy armor of your guild (Templar, Guard or Mercenary).

Since you get the boot in chapter 4 from the Old Camp, it's rather impossible to get the armor.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 8:07 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Yeah, the Robe of the Dark Arts is a good-looking armor (and durable too) but I only got it once. The "path of magic" is a hard one in Gothic, with all the management of spells and huge skill point requirements to reach level six. (To say nothing of the endless "strategic retreats" which must be made in combat!) I prefer to become a warrior and rely on cold, hard steel any day of the week.
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:14 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

That's why I enjoy the Templar so much, a smooth combo of magic with the vicious nature of melee combat.
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 4:08 am
NecroDancer
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

The old Camp was very disappointing.
Most of my assignments are outside the gates.
I thought once I made shadow I would be given a section of the camp to patrol. Same as guard. I thought I was going to be given Nek's job so Fletcher could go back to his old job.
I had visions of collecting protection money from the diggers. Or looking out for thieves or breaking up fights.
I am in Chapter ? Just got the stones.
So maybe there are good things to come from Thorus and Gomez.
I had hopes to become a Heavy Guard.
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:58 am
mersil
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

You Think it might be saved for the Sequel ?
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:59 am
Jabberwhacky
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Old camp was definately the worst of the 3. One quest, and it's simply to spy on another camp (read: do all their quests)...woopdeedoo. I'm a guard now, spying on the Sect camp. Then you get back and before you know it *boot* out you go, you sorry guildless punk.
Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:08 am
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

No I dont think gomez or thurus is going to be in the sequel(since you get the chance to destroy them later). But I think Xardas, Lee, Diego, Milten and Lester should be.

Post Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:21 am