Members
Usergroups
newbie help needed - sneak
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Kalin

newbie help needed - sneak

I'm new to this kind of game - been MMPORGing it the last two years - but loving this so far. One thing is beyond my newbie mind - how to increase my sneaking skill.

I have a custom bard - calling him a shadowbard - and he has an intro skill of 20 in sneaking. I figured out how to sneak easily enough - I know to look for the icon appearing - but no mater how much I sneak around, my skill bar doesn't rise. Its still on 0.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to pickpocket to raise the skill? I really have no idea....

oh, and as a p.s. - will alchemy go up just from eating? or do I have to combine herbs and the liike?

Thanks! -Kalin
Post Wed May 08, 2002 12:15 am

Peskee Wabbit

Sneak goes up as far as I can tell from sucessfully sneaking near people. That doesn't sound very clear, because I can't really tell exactly when you get points, but I know that if I go into a shop, hide out of sight, then sneak up to the shopkeep until the icon goes away, I get a little closer to leveling up the skill.

Alchemy does indeed improve a little just by eating the raw ingredients. I would assume successfully brewing potions would be better, but I haven't really gotten into alchemy yet sorry.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 12:35 am

Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

Re: newbie help needed - sneak

quote:
Originally posted by Kalin

no mater how much I sneak around, my skill bar doesn't rise. Its still on 0.

This game requires you to perform a skill successfully in order to improve.
For sneak, that means you have to sneak around npcs/mobs to count. Get some invisibility spell scrolls/potions, it helps.

quote:
Originally posted by Kalin

oh, and as a p.s. - will alchemy go up just from eating?

Yes, but some herbs are hazardous to your health (they drain your attributes). Be careful what you eat.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 12:45 am
maethlin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

sneakage

Posted from another board I wrote on:

Sneak is damn easy to raise once you figure it out... took me a while but here's the trick:

First, you have to be close enough to someone for it to succeed, but not so close that it won't kick in. It works MUCH better indoors than outdoors too at the lower levels. What I did was find an inn where people where hanging about and then went to a dark corner.

Hit sneak and hold it down. If your indicator won't go on, then you're too close, find another spot. If the indicator goes on and stays on permanently... your probably too far and it's not really working. If it flickers on and off by itself... you're in the money. Just hold the sneak key down and you'll raise automatically.

WARNING: Do not just leave your char unattended while doing this though. The moment you get enough points to level up, go REST immediately to get your level. If you don't, you'll be wasting valuable skill points as your sneak goes up while your level remains the same.

Hope that helps........
Post Wed May 08, 2002 12:55 am